Farm Bureau / Failed to Pay on Home invasion

1 Macomb County, MI, United States Review updated:

It has been a year and a half since our home was broken into in December 2006, 3 days after Christmas i might add. We have been with Farm Bureau for over 5 years and we also insure our cars with them. Immedietly after our home invasion we called our insurance company and filed a claim for all of the damages in the home and for everything we had lost. The night of the burglary we were told by the police to write everything down that we could remember that had been stolen from the home. Photographs were also taken of everything that night. In the next few days one of Farm Bureaus representatives came out to the house to speak with us about the incident. A tape recorder was used to record the discussion between the rep and our family. After all of this and waiting almost 6 months to get a response we finally recieved a letter from Farm Bureaus Attorney saying they need to get statements from the entire family. So we went to their law firm which was almost an hour away.. we waited there for almost 5 hours.. each person took almost an hour and a half just to ask a few questions. Even after all of this we recieved a denial letter in the mail stating that our claim has been denied. And the best part is, is that they had absolutely no reason to deny the claim, they just did it because they can. We didn't hesitate to hire a lawyer soon thereafter. So we are still waiting to see what is going to happen. Im writing this to let people know that is company is FRAUD. I don't understand what the point of having insurance is if you can't be covered for things that happen to peoples homes everyday. I am very disgusted by the way this was handled and i will never recommend this company to anyone. There is a major problem with many insurance companies in the USA and people don't realize it until something like this happends to them. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Su
      16th of Apr, 2009

My experience with the Grand Rapids Michigan office is as follows. I make a claim the rep calls and sets an appoint to view the home damage a week later. After taking off work, he calls that morning to tell me, it would be more "efficient" for him if he can come out to view the damage two days later. He states that he only has my call and again it would be more "efficient" for him. I tell him no and basically have to demand he appear. I call my agent who calls me back to say he is on the way so the problem should be solved. Additional damage to the house is found, claim made, claim rep calls to tell me that he is going on vacation and it will be two weeks before he can make time to view this damage. Okay, schedule time off work, I call the night before the meeting to confirm he is coming. Rep states his father had died and he had not come to work all week. Fine, but someone from this big company must be taking over his duties. Basically, he failed to call me and no one from the company would set in to assist. Yes, due to my calls, a construction guy was sent out to view the damage but despite stating he would put a tarp on the roof, that has not occured.

If my agent had told me that each claim would be inspected at least a week from the damage and that the company was working on such a shoe string budget that if the claims adjuster has a personal problem their is no back up, then do you really think I would have purchased their insurance product? No Way