Fairfield / Wyndham Vacation Resorts / No availability!

1 P.O. Box 94443Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

As a family with school age children, it is nearly impossible to make reservations at popular vacation resorts, unless you book 10 months in advance. The process of making reservations is very cumbersome, as you cannot book resorts online yourself but you have to go through customer service. I filled out a Reservation Request Form online but I could have saved the time filling it out because they will NOT contact you if there is availability. Instead, they ask you to call back and check availability again and again at your convenience.

Also, when we signed up for our membership for Discovery Vacations, we got a Get Up & Go package that entitles us to a 3 day & 2 night stay in a standard hotel at 18 different destinations in the United States. The reservation system there is even worse than at the Wyndham Vacation Resorts. When I tried to make a reservation, they hung up on me twice before the transaction was completed, one time after they took down all my information including the birth dates, first and last names of all people traveling with me.

Comments

• Ka
      2nd of Mar, 2008

I totally agree with Katja. I have never fealt so lied to in my entire life. My husband and I purchased our timeshare for $25K (paid in full!) over three years ago and have only had one opportunity to use them. The entire process from the beginning to the end was awful. We went to the Williamsburgs, VA. resort just to see what it was all about. After being told it would only take about two hours of our time it took six. We were herded like cattle into a room that was blazing hot and literally tormitted for the entire time. After several discussions, my husband and I agreed to sign, mainly to get the devil out of there and with hopes that we would possibly get some enjoyment out of one of the resorts. WRONG... Everytime we have tried to book a vacation at our home resort of Myrtle Beach it is booked. We pay a large fee every month and for what.... Nothing. So we then have tried to book a vacation in the Smokey Mountains...guess what...booked. Then I tried to transfer my points to RCI to stay at a hotel in Virginia Beach to see my son who serves in the Military and was going to arrive in port in Norfolk, guess what... after being on the telephone for over an hour trying to get the process taken care of... I was told by the RCI representative that the Wyndham representative rolled over weekly points and not nightly points and I had to start the process all over again. I gave up and booked a hotel for almost $400. My husband did book a stay at the Las Vegas Resort when on a business trip and of course they started in on the selling process again as soon as he arrived. He did agree to attend the breakfast, which they over booked, he got no breakfast, but they did have the nerve to ask him for an additional $25K for an upgrade and the he was guaranteed to get the proper service and booking a reservation would be much easier. Are they insane? Nope, we are just stupid.

I don't know how anyone associated with Fairfield, Wyndham or RCI can sleep at night. You all ... and I mean all of you, from the Presidents to the the VP's to the customer service and the telephone operators should be ashamed and embarrassed to work for such a company.

I will never try to book another vacation with this company again. I will just learn to live with the fact that I made a very bad $25K mistake.

• Di
      3rd of Mar, 2008

I totally agree with the previous comments. Wyndham Vacation Resorts is good at what it does and that is sucking unspecting, honest hard working people into years of debt. After hours of high pressure sales talk by more than one salesman we were finally worn down and signed. We financed the contract through a bank with the understanding that according to law we had seven days to change our minds. We did change our minds three days after the fact, went back to Wyndham , and notified them in writing as required along with the signed and completed necessary form provided by them in the multi-page packet they send you home with. We found out today at the bank that Wyndham submitted the request for payment and received it from our account on the day we signed the papers instead of waiting the seven days to expire in case we changed our minds. The company is a scam and will go to any length to get your money. Watch out!!!

• Ta
      5th of Mar, 2008

I totally agree with all of you.. I am more than likely having to go bankrupt as they will not accept any payment arrangements based on my current financial situation. Its either pay your monthly amount or we'll send you to collections and put a default on your credit rating.

• Wi
      5th of Sep, 2008

How about starting a class action suit with this. I got scammed too.

• Lj
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I am in the same predicament. I bought 3 years ago and have only been able to use 1year out of it. There seems to be no availability everytime I call to use it. Has anyone been able to get out of this deal or sell. Please let me know if you have and how you did it.

• Ad
      3rd of Oct, 2008

s;filghaosifgh

• Gl
      23rd of Oct, 2008

I have one better than that. I got a lady to rent mine out got one check and no more. She has rented out over 500, 000of my 1, 211, 000 points for 2009 so far. Plus a week that I had banked with RCI and was going to lose. Am seeing my attorney tomorrow.

• Da
      10th of Nov, 2008

Like Glenda after buying over 1 million points they now have the PERFECT option, “Presidential reserve”. Now they will guarantee a reservation it will only cost you anther $40K.

Over all I wish we had never gotten involved, and they have NO WAY OUT!!!
    We do use all of our points every year for the past 3 years, but you have to make reservations 9-10 months out.

And what is with increasing the cost / 1, 000 points from $5 to $8 to rent! That is a 60% increase.

I rent out some of my points and I tell ALL my renters DO NOT go to a presentation and if you do DO NOT BUY. You are better off putting 25-60K in a bank and using that for you vacations!!!

• Je
      14th of Nov, 2008

I'm in complete agreement. What a horrible, stressful way to take a holiday. As with many people, I am unable to plan time off from work more than six months in advance, and if you find yourself in the same situation, please do not waste your money. We had in mind that this would be a great way to spend time together for weekend getaways, but on my first attempt to book a room, I was told that there was nothing available at all on the entire east coast for two months. So much for enjoying a weekend in Newport, or anywhere for that matter.

I did find the presentation quite nice though, however, high pressure sales do not intimidate me, if you know they make you uncomfortable, please hand up the phone when they call you for a free "free" vacation. Do not forget that you can politely say no and walk away.

With their Discovery package which is intended as a trial before purchasing a complete time share package, $2800 should be a good deal, if you could ever book a room. I would think that they would strive to assure my satisfaction so that I would purchase a time share at the end of my contract. I assure you that they don't.

I have now finally booked my first vacation after an entire afternoon on the phone. It's not exactly where I want to go, and not the exact dates I want to go, but after dealing with all this, I need a vacation!

28th of Nov, 2008

I just got home today from Atlantic City, New Jersey. My husband and I accidently ran into a Wyndham offer for their new property Skyline. We have owned a 40 year lease thru Fairshare Plus/Royal Vacations for almost 10 years. We had not had an owners update in some time and decided to attend. At the end of an hour and 1/2 with them pitching us all the way we find out that my lease is now invalid and I can only vacation in the place where we bought which is Las Vegas. All of the promises of "point travel" have been erased and we are left with a worthless piece of paper.

Evidently the program change requiring that you own deeded property thru Wyndham in the amount of 168, 000 which occurred in January 2007 was never conveyed to us in all this time. It was by shear luck that we stumbled upon the information. Fairfield/Wyndham have never been known for their excellent communications skills. We went back to our lease and I now have to consult an attorney. Legal fees alone will make this an impossible and probably make this a very costly battle with a very large company. What would you do in my situation?

• Pa
      22nd of Dec, 2008

wyndham offers so called discounted travel. when calling the travel dept, the agents are only able to offer the HIGHEST airfare, hotel, car, or package.

i would suggest saving your $ and going online.
    much faster, cheaper, and no need to beg anyone for discounted travel/air/car, package tour rate.

the travel dept should be taught what is a discounted rate. ridiculous to pay a membership and then get insulted w/ridiculous quotes. shame on wyndham/worldmark. you have scammed too many of us!

• Ke
      12th of Jan, 2009

Wyndham is not so great to work for, either. I spent one year at one of their properties and that was enough. I understand all of the complaints listed here and I feel so sorry for you folks.

This was by far, the worst hotel I have ever worked for. The employees are not treated any better than the guests who buy their timeshares. The sad part is, they own some very beautiful properties with excellent amenities. It is a sin they are run the way they are run.

I hope that you guys can find some kind of recourse, to get your money back. Especially when you are in the cancellation period. It's lousy to spend all this money and not be able to take your vacations.

• Mi
      13th of Feb, 2009

This Wyndham company is an absolute scam. I've never though "it could happen to me" - but I fell for it too. Don't be fooled - do NOT do business with this company. They never had availability and then your opportunity to use it that year goes and "oh well"... a SCAM

26th of Feb, 2009

Bunch of naive ignorant people that lay down and take this. Get up and do something about it, call
    your attorney general and file a complaint, call your banker and dispute the charge, NEVER let anyone into your checking account by giving them account numbers. Write a check that you can post date the 7 days or put a stop payment on it. Use common sense people. Basic rules of life.

You have the power, there are laws that protect you, USE THEM. Find out what they are and file a complaint with the regulatory agency.

You are all like sheep being led to the slaughter. Your own lack of initiative, common sense and unwillingness to fight for your wallet and what is right, that is what has caused you to lose. You can get your money back, it happens all the time, for the really SMART people. I dont lose, I fight and I win. It is not hard, just time consuming and irritating, but my they depend on people like you, that is where they make their money.

quit whining and get off your duff and do something about it.

• Cs
      22nd of Aug, 2018

@jasdeans jasdean thank you. So, I'm interested in your step by step process please send I would greatly appreciate.
    C Stivers

• Gm
      11th of Apr, 2009

My wife and I were approached by a Wyndham rep in Atlantic City. For seventy five dollars cash, we agree to do the little tour across the street. We also got additional fifteen dollars cash for travel expenses to and from the Wyndham sales office (we drove and parked across the street for less than a dollar). Yes, they paid up, so were satisfied with that.

To make a long story short, my wife and I were very guarded the minute the sales presentation began...to the point the 25 year old saleswomen called us out on it. My wife and I are both lawyers, so we listened to every little detail that was thrown our way. MORE IMPORTANTLY, we paid attention to what they weren't telling us!

To start off, they had a paper (filled in by the boiler-room Wyndham sales people) with our names and a Owner/Referral reference number. The saleswoman asked us who referred us…we told her we weren’t referred by anyone…just an old Indian lady with a Wyndham name tag. The saleswoman told us that if we were referred by someone we would be offered a special package deal that isn’t available to the general public. THIS IS THE SALES GIMMICK! We weren’t referred by anyone…they wrote in fake referral number, with the hopes that we believe we’re getting an “owner/referral deal”! If you’ve ever watched a tv-infomercial, it’s the same gimmick as “if you call in the next 5 minutes, we’ll cut the price in half” or “we’ll throw in a second widget for free”. Everyone knows that these infomercials play all across the across the country, at various times of the day and that there is no way the toll-free number representative knows when the commercial is airing.” This Wyndham Vacation Resort sales gimmick is an attempt to make you believe you must act out on their error so you can get the best deal possible. For my wife and I, that meant being able to purchase 127, 000 points for $15, 049 instead of $30, 000.

The best part is, the saleswoman had a higher up come over and talk to us. He asked us who referred us, and we told him no one. I ordered him to check out the referral number and let us know who referred us (after all, if someone was referring me, shouldn’t they get a referral fee for referring us???). He came back in about 10 minutes and said he couldn’t locate that owner/referral number in the computer, but they would give us the benefit and offer us the owner/referral rate. Again, THIS IS THE SALES GIMMICK!

The special offer for us was 127, 000 points, plus 175, 000 points (which would make us VIP) for $15, 000. Oh yes, we would also have to pay a monthly fee of $68 every month (which is subject to increase), for the rest of our lives. People, that adds up to $816 a year. For approximately $900, I am sure that everyone out there with an internet connection can find a fantastic vacation deal from the thousands of vacation deals that are all over the internet.

So, gimmick #2 is the discrete monthly maintenance fee that truly will add up to over a thousand dollars a year in the near future.

Financially, what really bothered me was the salesman (that took over the saleswoman’s presentation) began writing numbers down, and for approximately $280 a month, this could all be mine (oops, I mean $280 plus the $68 monthly maintenance fee). He figured I’d purchase the $15, 049 “owner/referral rate” package, minus $2, 260 deposit, and finance the rest. But he never told me what the terms were. I did ask what the interest rate would be, and he said “16.9%”. I forgot to ask what the term was (60 months, 84 months, etc.). This is an extremely high interest rate. He jut ran our credit check, and said we had “A1” credit. He said “Wyndham would be committing fraud” if they charged me a lower interest rate than someone with B or C credit. So this goes without saying: Wyndham Vacation Resorts is in the business of selling you a time share (on the spot, under pressure) AND selling you a HIGH INTEREST LOAN.

The LOAN component is something that never gets mentioned throughout the “presentation”. This is where they make a chunk of their money.

No, we did not buy a timeshare. My wife and I agreed we would not before we stepped foot in the boiler room.

As we left, I told the saleswoman that her presentation tactics were the same tactics a basemen waterproofing company used on me. In that scenario, I didn’t want to pay $8000 for a water drainage system to be installed around the perimeter of my basement walls. When the waterproofing salesman knew I wasn’t going to pay $8000, he told me, “look, we had a job that fell through this week and we have already purchased all the equipment and labor for that job, so we can have them do your basement for $3000, but you have to buy it NOW” Yeah right! Are you kidding me! The Wyndham rep asked me “are you comparing me to a basement waterproofing salesman?” I said, “yes.”

Listen people, if you want a timeshare, do your research online. Realize that they want to sell you a timeshare at the highest possible price…on the spot without you having the opportunity to see if you are getting what you pay for. Then, realize that they want you to use their financing. Then realize that all the hoopla and claims of vacationing where and when you want is just not realistic. If the resort you want to stay at is booked…you are out of luck. From the previous posts on this site, it looks like that is a number one problem with this timeshare/points system.

If you were going to buy a used 2006 Mercedes E350 AWD sedan with 30, 000 miles, wouldn’t you shop around and see what the car is worth before buying it? And if you are going to finance the purchase, wouldn’t you research your financing options by seeing what interest rates you qualify for…from various banks/credit unions? Well, why should buying a timeshare be any different?

Here is something I haven’t googled yet. What percent of timeshare owners openly sought out a timeshare? What percent of timeshare owners bought a timeshare through a timeshare presentation with the promise of a free gift (tv, cash, a boat, etc.). I don’t know the answer.

I will end this comment with a funny story about my parents. Back in the 1980’s they received some junkmail that promised them a boat if they attended a timeshare presentation in Virginia. The mail piece advertised the following, “Cruise on your own lake in your boat.” When they came back home, they showed us the boat…it was an inflatable raft with two oars. Now that’s what I call “cruisin”.

• Sc
      21st of Apr, 2009

I am trying to start a class action suit against RCI for their Discovery Vacations scam. Is anyone interested? Please let me know if you are.

5th of May, 2009

I don't know if I got the same scam you did...but I also was suckered into purchasing a Wyndham resort package for 10k on credit that has never been used and is now on my credit. I try to get a hold of Wyndham constantly and no one ever returns any of my phone calls. I am pissed and want something done about this just as from reading I see all of you are too. I would love to join in a class action suit against Wyndham. Oh and I love their famous line...we are not a business that sells timeshares and this is nothing like a timeshare.

My parents have this same exact problem with Wyndham and I know they would be interested as well in joining in on a class action suit.

if any one has any suggestions or whatever you can contact at prpletazzy@hotmail.com

• Po
      23rd of May, 2009

All of the complaints I read I believe to be valid. Wyndham (Fairfiled) feeds you a line of bullcrap a mile long. I have owned with them since about 1989 and at first things were great and now I own over 1 million points. Many of the promises they make to you are nothing but lies. Some for example are
    1. Upgrades when booking 60 days or less out. I have been able to do this rarely, even if I can get booked at all.
    2. Point discounts when booking 45 days or less out. Again, if you can get booked.
    They make this sound like it can happen everytime when they are giving you a sales presentation, but in all honesty it doesn't happen very often.

One of the main things they tell is to you to book 10 months or so out to be sure to get booked where you want to go. Then when you get to the free upgrade time try booking a smaller unit and get your free upgrade to the next size unit and cancel the first booking. Then when you get to the point discount time do it again to get your and get an additional point discount. (This depends on the level you own at). Nine times out of ten it doesn't work because there is nothing available when you try to book again. Then of course if you cancel your reservation your points go into what the call "cancelled points" and you can only uless them when booking 90 days or less out. Now try to book where YOU want to go and when YOU want to go and again there is usually no availability. So wht happens? You end up losing your points.

There are so many other things I could tell you about them that it probably would take a large book to put it in.

Oh, I did work for them selling their timeshares and tried to do it honestly and sincerely, but they didn't want me to so I ended up quitting. I never lied to people and never pressured them or made them stay until they finally were worn out and bought.

Sure, I would join a class action lawsuit and I could tell a lawyer many things about their tactics. fredpowell@bnin.net

• Pc
      27th of May, 2009

Is there anyone out there who has had a good experience with Wyndham?

• Mp
      8th of Jun, 2009

Just had horrible experience with Wyndham in San Antonio La Cantera resort. We were completely overlooked for their "merger dinner" to inform us that if we didn't "buy into a property that by itself was considered VIP", that all of our PIC points (the reason we bought to begin with) were going to go away and we were no longer going to be considered VIP. We were asked who our VIP coordinator was...Who? Why did we decline the offer to upgrade to maintain our VIP status? Never had an offer made or heard anything about it...and the guy really thought we were lying, until he pulled the computer report and it showed we'd NEVER been contacted by corporate or met with anyone. He really wanted to go back to bed that day, and his boss chewed him royally. They then wanted a CYA meeting with him...too late in my book.

I'm in and looking over this and any other site I can find to see who else has been lied to, cheated, defrauded, and breached in their contracts by Wyndham, and I'm hunting attorneys that have won against them and I'm ready to go with a class action lawsuit, so count me in and consider me actively involved. Please contact me at childscapitalgroup@yahoo.com if you are in the same situation and let's get some organization to this thing and go after them.

MPC in Texas

• Cs
      22nd of Aug, 2018

@MPC Hello just found this site. I'm wondering if a class action lawsuit started. If so please contact me.

CStivers