Expedia

cancellation refund

Toronto, Ontario
Canada
iavgo.org
My name is David Arruda, I work with IAVGO Community Legal Clinic, a legal aid funded clinic that helps to resolve WSIB issues for low income workers. I am complaining in regards to a ticket we purchased for our client M. C (Itinerary #: 7255793940186). We booked a flight because we have a client from Jamaica who has a hearing. We purchased insurance because there was concern that the temporary VISA we had applied for would be denied. The application was denied and our client was unable to make his flight. I called the insurance company(Allianz) and I was informed by an agent there that I would have to cancel with Expedia before I could make a claim. I called Expedia and the agent that answered told me that I could not cancel through them, but I would have to cancel with the Insurance company (Allianz). I informed him that this did not make sense and I was hung up on. After confirming with Allianz that I do have to cancel with Expedia. I once again called and the agent who answered this time helped me process my cancellation. However, before processing the cancellation she informed me that there would be a refund credit applied. I informed her that I could not accept the credit because the flight was for the client and as a legal aid clinic our resources our limited and we would be unable to use the credit. They informed me that they spoke to their superiors and that the refund would not be applied. I asked for a confirmation email and they said that they sent it, but I did not receive anything and expressed this to them. They informed me that I should receive it before the next day and that if I wanted to look to confirm the cancellation I could go on the website, which when I did visit the website it did show me that the flight had been cancelled.

I checked my email the next morning (May 30/2017) and I had not received anything. I called Expedia again and they sent the confirmation of the cancellation, but not a statement that the refund would not be given. Later I was disappointed to see that the refund had been processed. I called again to speak with an agent and explain the issue. I was informed that the agent should not have promised that the refund would not be applied because it is an airlines policy. I told them I understood this and explained the sensitivity of our situation as a legal aid clinic. I also asked that if they could not assist me that I would like to speak to someone that could help me, whether it be with them or the airlines. The agent stated that they would transfer me to the airlines, but instead hung up.

Our clinic as a Legal Aid clinic has incredibly limited resources and having this credit, which is a substantial amount of money, that is impossible to use is an unnecessary strain on our resources. On top of this issue, the way I was dealt with my the Expedia agents was unacceptable, to hang up on a customer who is not being rude and is trying to resolve the situation in a cooperative manner is not an appropriate way to handle business. We have used this service in the past and after the events that have transpired these last couple of days it is a service that we do not plan on using in the future.

If someone could contact me to resolve this issue our clinic phone number is 416-924-6477 and my email is: mcfadyhl@lao.on.ca
Complaint comments Comments (1) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Airlines

Comments

N  19th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
June 19, 2017 : Regarding Hotel cancellation conf.: 7245248818897 - Amount $ 1160.31 dated Feb. 23, 2017: Sirs, We have not seen this amount redeposited to our credit card. Could you please let us know when this amount was refunded - so that we can re-check and take the matter up with credit card company. Thanks E-mail : ittech@hsds.sr

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree