Excelsior College / It's a scheme.

1 7 Columbia CircleAlbany, United States Review updated:

I was enrolled in the LPN to RN program via The College Network (another group of crooks). This college charges all kinds of fees that go up on a regular basis. They claim that they are there for the student, but that is not true. Calling them is a headache, if you can get anyone on the phone. The lost my application for clinical. When I finally got to clinical I found the nursing "examiners" (we were not allowed to call them instructors) were rude and unprofessional. They look for any little reason to fail students and when they fail them they present them with an application to take the clinical again, and of course to pay the high fee again. After talking to other victims of Excelsior this seems to be their game. Avoid them.

Comments

29th of Oct, 2008

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

I received my B.S. degree about 12 years ago, and was immediately accepted to the two graduate schools I had applied to.

I found the advisor extremely helpful and the whole process easy.

• Jv
      1st of Dec, 2008

I attended Excelsior online and never had any problems with their advisors or any of my instructors. I found them helpful in all areas I needed help in. I just received my BS Degree on 21 Nov 2008. I would definitely recommend this school.

31st of Jan, 2009

Stay away from The College Network. They will rip you off. The people that wrote the positive comments, I bet you work for them.

• Tr
      13th of Feb, 2009

Excelsior may be ok for the online theory courses or programs, instead of intern or clinical parts. There are really some problems in the design of CPNE.

• Ke
      22nd of Apr, 2009

Thanks for the info. I am currently a LPN and want to obtain my RN. It is very hard to go the traditional way (you know school everyday) to college. I am thankful for all of the TRUE postings about The College Network! I almost fell for it!! Although, I have read so much good and bad about Excelsior! I am so confused now! Help!!

3rd of May, 2009

Dear Kelley,

I am an employee of The College Network. After reading the initial complaint made in this post by Kathleen, I can say without a doubt that she is referring to her experience with Excelsior. She does refer to us as "crooks" and why I don't exactly know, but she is welcome to contact me at rdegeeter@college-net.com and I will attempt to address any issues she may have.

I am aware that there are complaints here and elsewhere about TCN, but relatively few compared to the more than 150, 000 people who have decided to become customers of The College Network. My intent is not to sell you our program. My intent is to answer people's questions, attempt to help dissatisfied customers, and clear up any misconceptions about our products or services. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

13th of May, 2009

The College Network is made up of crooks, just like Excelsior College. Both are only after the money of the students and they do NOT give the support they claim they will give. The student is basically left on their own and then once that student reaches clinical they are failed in order to get more money. The College Network LIED to me and did not give me all costs up front, and failed to inform me about a computer course that was required. When I complained I got nowhere, so don't make laugh when you say you'll address my complaints. I was hung up on one time when I complained. The only time either the College Network or Excelsior really pays attention to the student is when they are billing them and taking their money. And, fellow students, if you do complain about how they treat you, they will smugly tell you that some students just can't handle this type of format and are not disciplined enough for self study. It's always the student's fault with them. Take it from me, and others, it's bull.

14th of May, 2009

Dear Kathleen,

I have forwarded your concerns to our Customer Care Unit. I cannot speak on behalf of Excelsior or the manner in which clinicals are conducted, however I can say that The College Network does care about the success of our customers. If people did not have success using our programs, that would reflect poorly on us, our products, and our services. It is my sincerest hope that our Customer Care Unit will be able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

If you have questions in the meantime, please contact Academic Support.

15th of May, 2009

I appreciate it Rick, but I tried to address these issues when I was in the program and it got me nowhere. I don't know why now would be any different. Nothing personal, I know you're just doing your job.

15th of May, 2009

Kathleen,

The computer course that needed to be completed through Excelsior was the result of a curriculum change. The College Network is not responsible for changes in curriculum made by the degree granting institution.

You also state that you were basically left on your own. This is a self-study program and Excelsior grants degrees though equivalency exam credit. Should have required more help you should have contacted Academic Support.

With regard to being hung up on, I apologize. I see the advisor you spoke to documented that she was about to sneeze and she meant to hit the mute button, but she accidentally disconnected the call. I see you also called right back. The advisor who disconnected the call should have called you back and apologized. All calls are now recorded and there are quality assurance measures in place to prevent such things from happening.

17th of May, 2009

I did contact support, more than once. I was told in the seminar when I signed up that the study guides contained ALL of the material needed for the Excelsior exams. When I took the tests I found that this was not true. The tests contained a lot of material that was never covered in the College Network study guides. I left one test in tears because I had to guess at almost 1/3 of the test. I called the College Network about it, and all I got was denials and the usual shifted blame that somehow I didn't study well enough, and I was hung up on, as I mentioned. I only failed one test, but I had to pay another $200 plus fee to retake it. So what I started doing was reading other materials. I took the subjects and I read nursing books, articles, even health sites online. Whatever I could get my hands on. Once I stopped relying solely on the College Network study guides I started getting A's and not panicking about missing material. For the huge price I paid for these study guides this should NOT have happened. I said this to the College Network, but nobody wanted to hear it.

Kathleen,

Our materials have been reviewed by Excelsior College and they have been deemed sufficient to pass the exams. We also speak to customers everyday that use our materials to pass the exams.

As I had previously addressed, being hung up on had nothing to do with your complaint. It was an accident and for that I apologize. I see from the notes that you called back almost immediately and spoke with the next advisor for a lengthy amount of time about your concerns.

We take complaints about our materials seriously. Our entire business is built around successfully preparing our customers to pass their exams, so we have to be certain that we are putting out the best products possible.

Rick,

You can say that your materials are sufficient all you want. It doesn't change what happened to me. I'm not stupid. I made excellent grades in LPN school and I got the highest score in the class of 25 on the much dreaded Endocrine System test. I have had very good evaluations at work and no complaints against me or my license. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am beyond sick of the excuses made by the College Network and Excelsior College. It's always the students fault. Well that is bull, and I will tell everyone I possibly can.

20th of May, 2009

By the way, Rick, if Excelsior College deems the College Network's materials "sufficient" then why do they have a disclaimer about the College Network on their site and why do they offer students other materials (with plenty of extra fees, of course) for the exams and highly suggest that they student use these? I don't put much stock into what Excelsior college says. They are unprofessional and dishonest. What do they have to lose if the student fails? They get another huge fee paid for by the student to retake the test.

22nd of May, 2009

Kathleen,

I am not making excuses for our products and services. I am simply trying to reach out to dissatisfied customers or people who have had difficulties in the program to provide assistance. The fact of the matter is that we have a high success rate for people that use our materials and it is our goal to help everyone succeed and earn their degree.

To address your question regarding our relationship with Excelsior; although we partner with several colleges and universities, we are not in a partnership with Excelsior for the ASN program. We do however have a collaborative agreement with them for their BSN program. They have reviewed our materials and deemed them sound and sufficient for use in passing their exams. They do of course have their recommended list of texts and that is why you see that they "offer" other materials.

As far as students failing, no university wants that. If everybody failed no one would enroll with them and I would imagine at some point they would lose their accredidation. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose if students fail. It has nothing to do with collecting another fee.

• Mi
      22nd of May, 2009

Sooooooooooooo. I'm vey interested in Excelsior college. A course advisor meet with me 2 days ago and it sounds great. But if there's additional fees, not enough study material, and I have to drive from Grand Island to Syracuse, NY jus to fail?, why should I waste my time. I need a very honest member of the college network/Excelsior College to let me know something asap. thankyou.

Dear Miesha,

All the fees related to the program are covered in the "cost estimate form" that your Program Advisor will go over with you as well as leave you a copy of. This form breaks down the different costs of the program - costs of modules, costs of exam fees, and fees paid to the school (application fee, enrollment fee, graduation fee, info literacy course fee, etc.). All fees are disclosed, so you don't have to worry about unexpected costs.

The materials have been reviewed by Excelsior College. They have been deemed sound and sufficient to pass the exams. As a whole, our customers do extremely well on Excelsior's exams with our materials. Although we are not partnered with Excelsior for the ASN program, we do have a collaborative agreement with them for their BSN program.

A distance education program is essentially what you put in to it. We do the easy part. We provide the materials and resources necessary to assist you. You have to study and you have to take the exams. Let me know if you have any additional questions as I would be happy to help.

24th of May, 2009

Rick, At the time I was a student Excelsior college specified on their website that companies that sell study guides (such as the College Network) do not supply sufficient material to pass the test. I believe that neither the College Network or Excelsior cares if students fail and they are both out for money. Both made my experience a nightmare and neither had anything to say to me when I failed other than Excelsior's request for another $2, 000 to retake the exam. The unprofessional, uncaring attitudes that I encountered spoke volumes to me. I spent twice the amount I was told it would cost by the College Network and I have nothing to show for it because of a greedy organization. I ran into other people with similar stories, and it's my understanding Excelsior got into trouble over high failure rates back in the 1990's, they ADMITTED that. I used my own materials to prepare for the tests, and that is how I made better grades and passed them.

The only reason you're talking to me now is because I am making my experience public. When I complained before no one cared. All I got was "it's your fault" and that was it.

24th of May, 2009

Miesha, if I were you I would not go into this program. I spent twice what I was told it would cost. Excelsior raises the prices on a regular basis, and they charge hidden fees that Excelsior did not tell me about. Some fees are annual too, and I was not told that by the College Network. You will have to travel for the clinical exam unless you live in one of the few states it is offered. When you review the material you will see they have it set up so that they can easily fail you. Believe it or not, in the material it said if you don't greet the patient the way they say you should it is considered "emotional abuse" and it's grounds for failure. I mean, the stuff they come up with is unbelieveable. I was failed because I did not chart that my instructor put a pillow behind my patients back. My patient was happy with me, and they could not find anything in my care plan, so they made something up. At first I thought they were joking. Make no mistake, these people are out for money, they don't care about you. In the 1990's Excelsior got into trouble for failing too many students. They admitted this to me, and they haven't changed. I wish you luck, but take it from me, you don't want to go into this program. Once they have your money they don't care what happens to you.

25th of May, 2009

Kathleen,

The information I am stating is factual. Excelsior College has reviewed our materials and they have been deemed sound and sufficient to pass the Excelsior College Examinations.

I cannot attest to your individual clinical experience, your performance, or how you were assessed. However, I can say that it is in no one's best interest if you fail. You even state in your complaint that "In the 1990's Excelsior got into trouble for failing too many students." I cannot verify the accuracy of this statement, but it would seem to me that based on this statement it would be in their best interest if you passed.

Also, my responses and continued conversations with you are not simply a result of your complaint. When I see customers on other sites and nursing discussion forums that are having success and progressing in their programs, I am sure to congratulate and encourage them. I also remind them that Academic Support is available should they require assistance.

The College Network would never tell a customer that "it's your fault." Our Advisors are trained with one goal in mind - to assist the customer. Sometimes that assistance comes in the form of encouragement, sometimes it's working through an algebra equation, or sometimes it's reviewing questions that were on an exam. We are here to help our customers with all aspects related to their programs. Speaking as a former supervisor in the Academic Support Department, I can promise you that telling a customer "it's your fault" would not be tolerated.