Europcareuropcar are exploiting their customers

Rental Agreement No.: [protected]
I pre-booked a small van for a day hire via the internet from Europcar UK Ltd at a quoted 40.25 euros to be collected 19.09.09 from their Etoile Foch depot in Paris France, this quote subsequently morphed into a total of 109.71 euros with CDW insurance and other sundry extra charges and insurances, but not to worry you live and learn.
I was sent to pick up and check the vehicle from reception unaccompanied, the sheet detailed no panel damage and only one small scratch, the reality however was somewhat different with dents, scratches and other defects which took me twenty minutes to list, after which back to reception to get the damage verified and counter-signed.
The van was returned after six hours and the hire desk assistant after having the vehicle checked informed me that everything was O.K. and bade me "au revoir", I insisted that before I was prepared to go anywhere I required a printed final invoice and also return of the credit card authorisation slip for the security deposit of 700.00 euros, which he had told me at the time of the hire would not be processed and would be destroyed after the vehicle had been brought back in the same condition as it originally had left the agency, he point blank refused my request for return of the slip but did eventually and after a great deal of fuss on my part print out a final invoice, and again insisted that the security deposit would not be processed.
Over three weeks later I now find that a total of 809.71 euros has been taken from my credit card account for a six hour hire of a small van, and Europcar, their central office and the Paris depot are ignoring all communication.
I have informed my credit card issuer of the unauthorized charge in respect of the security deposit, which according to Europcar`s own terms and conditions is refunded at the termination of the hire, I am currently taking advice on possible civil and / or criminal proceedings against this company along with reporting them to the Office of Fair Trading and European Trading Standards.

Comments

• Fr
      Nov 08, 2010

Alamo / National Europcar are crooks!! They charge your card after you clear upon return. A hotel sent then a notice that I had parked in their lot, and owed 50 pound fine (I was a guest, they made an error). Alamo / National Europcar just charged my card without asking! What a slime ball way to operate

• Br
      Oct 08, 2012

Same thing happened to me...vehicle checked in by company representative who acknowledged no damage and a final printed invoice given only for damage charges to be taken subsequently from my credit card. No notice given, no evidence submitted, just took the money and then it became a test of 'see if you can get the money back' because we're just going to stonewall you. This is nothing short of robbery and I'm determined to take this as far as I can legally, even if it costs me far more, because these people need to be given a bloody nose. My advice to others is DO NOT TRADE WITH THIS COMPANY unless you like taking huge risks with your money.

• Di
      Nov 03, 2013

I rented with Alamo/Europcar in the UK. I have just checked my credit card and they have charged me an additional 101 pounds sterling I paid the rental upfront the paperwork was signed off on return of the car as no damage caused during my rental (there was existing damage) the fuel tank was full and I have not received any explanation for this charge. I am about to go to battle with them.