eTrade / Cash Transfer

1 United States

I have brokerage accounts (in USD) both at Etrade US and Etrade Canada. In early April 2008 I submitted a Form B (to Etrade Canada) to transfer cash of USD 44, 000 from the US account into the Canadian account. I checked both accounts a week later and nothing happened. I called customer service (at both Etrade's) and inquired about the status. They told me it's in progress and should be done by 3-5 business days (from the day I called). I waited 5 business days and checked both accounts again. Same thing - no change. I called customer service again (both Etrade's) and the reps told me they will open a ticket to "research" on what's going on. And then they told me to wait another 5 business days and you guess it - the same thing happened. Finally in May 28 I was furious and told customer service (at Etrade US) that if the transfer is still pending, just cancel it and do a wired transfer of 44k US. At last (on May 29) I found out that all of my cash (i.e. more than the 44k I specified) had been transferred to the Canadian account. Now I have to call Etrade US again to have them deposit the "extra" money back into the US account. The whole thing lasted almost 2 months and I lost the opportunity to utilize my funds - had I simply write a check against my US account and mail it to Etrade Canada my funds would be available a month ago - and I don't have to put up with all the idiots in the so-called customer service departments with both Etrade's.

Si