[Resolved] Etihad Airways / ey22/ey462/va811 25/12/17

1 Chesterfield, England, Derbyshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

On Christmas day my husband and I travelled with Etihad/Virgin Australia, from Manchester to Sydney, via Abu Dhabi and Melbourne. At check in, my hand luggage was deemed too large. It is a pull-along, cabin-sized case which so far has fit into every other airline's gauge that we have ever travelled with. That case has been everywhere with us. It was several years old but very good quality, made by Samsonite. It weighed less than 7kg, containing some fragile items that I didn't want to put in the hold. The ground staff insisted that we either pay to check it in, or abandon the case and spread its contents out in our 2 checked in cases. But even with the help of his supervisor, and after waiting at least 10 minutes, he was unable to give us a price to check in the extra baggage for our 2 Stop journey, and implied that it was a complicated business, leaving us with the impression that our belongings would probably be lost, so very reluctantly, we abandoned our trusty cabin bag.

Our flight to Abu Dhabi was pleasant and we enjoyed our meals and complimentary beverages. However, the middle section of our journey, from there to Melbourne, was not so good. We were seated directly behind a young mother with 2 small children. As a mother myself, I had every sympathy for them, however, it made sleep on that 13 hour journey a total impossibility. Being awake the whole way, we therefore looked forward to our meals, but unfortunately we were sadly disappointed. Despite our local departure time of 09.10 am, the first meal we were offered was described as either "chicken or fish". Obviously we had been expecting breakfast, but we opted for the chicken. This turned out to be a Turkey Christmas dinner. It was only just warm and we found it inedible. Others complained that theirs was cold, we just left ours. Later in the flight we were offered a sandwich which tasted vaguely of turkey. Again, we found it most unpalatable.

We arrived at our destination very tired and hungry. This was our first experience of flying with Etihad and we are not looking forward to our return journey. Last time we came to Australia we flew (economy) with Qantas and our memories are very different and much more positive. I am so upset that I have lost my cabin bag. I accept that I should have checked the allowable dimensions, but I have since researched and I can now see that Etihad allow 5cm in height less than most other airlines, yet 5cm more in width. My bag was the wrong shape at 55x40x20. Yet it remained within the allowable 115cm. I really think an exception could and should have been made.

I await your comments with interest.

Yours faithfully

Natalie Hearn

Flight details:
Outbound 25/12/17 EY22/EY462/VA811
Return 12/01/18 VA0842/VA7060/VA7015

• Resolution statement

• Etihad Airways Customer Care's Response, Jan 03, 2018

Hi Natalie, thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback with us. First of all we are happy to hear that in general the flight i.e. the Service on board was a good experience for you, however we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food on board. Regarding the bags, we are sorry to hear that you have not been allowed to bring it on board. Indeed we have the dimensions that you have mentioned in our rules and they should be observed by our guests. Exceptions can't be made, however in general our staff will allow you to bring the bags on board if the total dimensions don't exceed 115 cm even if the single dimensions are not exactly fitting. Please share your experience again with your details by filling out our Feedback Form on our website here and we will investigate the case. https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/about-us/contact-us/feedback/ Thank you. *Marc

Na
Jan 1, 2018

Comments

• Cu
      9th of Jun, 2018

Hi,

As an airline worker and that point of view I can say this:
    #Baggage allowance and size can be relaxed if it is a checked-in one while hand carry should be supervised carefully as it involves with space and safety issues. Oversize cabin luggage can hamper on time flight operation and can damage the overhead bin which can cause injury to other passenger (also death by falling from the bin during heavy turbulence or careless handling).

# You could check the in-flight meal menu before flying and could order a special meal of your choice if felt not satisfied.

# Everyone asks for an emergency exit seat for extra legroom or front row seat (for no reason) while s/he doesn't keep in mind that the baby bassinet seats are mostly assigned in those rows and seats around those seats might not suitable for long journey and sleep.

So, I would suggest you to invest some more time in exploring your flight features and airline offers that can help you to avoid such problem.

Staff