Emusic / Unauthorized billing

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

Billed 14.95 for a membership on 3/2/09 for an account that had been canceled in Nov 2008. Their claim was that the account was "frozen" and they had the right to revive it after the waiting period. When I expressed I did not want the membership and to refund the charge, they refused. I have taken the issue to my bank where they have credited me the funds and I have filed an FTC complaint. Any company who refuses to refund a product or service when the customer does not want it is a problem and should be avoided at all costs. That is simply bad business practices and makes the company seems desperate--a bad sign.

To

Comments

Yo
  16th of Apr, 2008

they posted a free trial for emusic and i canceled it 3-4 days before the free trial expired, i have never used it. they asked for a card number and i gave it to them with citicard, now they are illegally charging me $95.90, when i had already canceled it long time ago. this is just a scam and i would like to have my money put back into my citicard or sent have it sent back to me in cash so that i can put it back into my account. if i have to, i will call the BBB and have them check this out. i will be waitng for an answer. i will give you 24 hrs. for an answer and money back.

Je
  18th of Apr, 2008

Until yesterday - I had never heard of this company - a charge appeared on my credit card statement. Not sure if it's the company itself or someone who got access to my credit card - but I'm pissed. I am disputing w/the credit card company and have sent an email to "emusic" demanding the "account" to be closed...this is ###.

An
  6th of May, 2008

I tried to get a free trial for emusic and they asked me to choose a plan for the next month. I choosed the $9.99 /month plan and gave my mastercard number. I checked my account and have seen that they immediatly charged me $19.99 instead of what i agreed. Not liking this at all i went back online and canceled the emusic subscription. All this was happening in a 15 minutes period. Thinking that i canceled the plan so quiqly they won't proceed with the charging.Of course it didn't happen. I request that all the amount should be returned to my account since i never used emusic or agreed to it.

In
  29th of May, 2008

Same story here. I emailed them for the third time in one month with no response. So yesterday (29May08) I emailed them and said I was going to report them to the BBB. The same day they responded saying they canceled my membership (that I never authorized) and refunded me back all money!!

Be
  24th of Jun, 2008

Emusic has not responded to my requests to cancel. Last month I was billed twice for a service I do not even use. I am unable to reach them by phone, email or mail. I have contacted my credit card company and now I may have to cancel my account so they cannot continue to bill me monthly.

St
  30th of Jun, 2008

Charged $95.90 to my account without my permission. Beware people!

Ja
  7th of Jul, 2008

I have been aware from my bank that there were some question about the charge from your company that i did not make.. i would appreciate these charges in the amount of $19.99 taken off of my bank account since i was not the one that purchased your merchandise. So if a membership was purchased i would like that cancelled. Thanking you in advance...

Ek
  18th of Jul, 2008

emusic is fraud and fradulently charging peoples credit card. I am writing to NYS state attoney general office to investigate this company.

Au
  28th of Sep, 2008

I have followed some advice on this page and filed a report on their fraudulent theft with the Internet Crimes dept.

Va
  26th of Nov, 2008

I purchased eMusic gift card. It said it was the largest source of 'independent music' on the net. Turns out that means that there are no major artists available- any songs you know are sung by no-name artists that couldn't get a major label if they tried. I downloaded 7 of 100 songs before i realized my grave error. I tried to return to Target where I bought the card but they could not refund since I used 7 songs. I have requested that eMusic refund my money but they will not.

This is not a quality music service- this is a service that butchers your favorite songs. Also- if you read the reviews of real people- they will steal the money right out of your bank account.

Gw
  19th of Dec, 2008

Limited selections with unlimited charges. They make your credit account draft without notification, even if you did not make any download.

Mr
  13th of Jan, 2009

strongly agree. my complaint Illinios mrs. s. read and spread the news. good luck.

Sw
  29th of May, 2009

After canceling my account, E-Music refused to not bill for the next month. I also recall canceling my initial submission pronto...but have no record to verify it, so for 4 months they were still billing me.
I complained to my bank and the next fee, which is pending, I asked the bank not to honor. If you work through your bank, there is a chance that E-Music will have to stop withdrawing money (for people who are having money automatically withdrawn).

An
  15th of Jun, 2010

This company has continued to bill me for emusic($9.99) and ebooks($11.99) after a trial period that I cancelled. This has been going on for several months and they had refused until June 13, 2010 to allow me to cancel. They informed me that they would not refund my money and could see where I had only tried the service and then never used it again! Please help me and help protect other people from this company.

Bu
  18th of Apr, 2012

I see it in my online bank statement & I do not place any orders thru this site, nor do I subscribe to it