eHarmony / customer service is horrible!

First of all their customer service is horrible. You get no good contacts and if you are unhappy with their service there is no customer service to remedy the problem. If you have paid, their answer is to close your account and they get $160.00 of free money without providing the service they guarantee.

I have made better contacts with the free services of Yahoo in less time then I ever have at E harmony. Forget about calling customer service if you have a problem, they just hang up on you and leave you forced to wait another 10minutes for someone else to answer.

E harmony is a scam and has bad business practices. Save your money and stay away from E-harmony.

D  10th of May, 2007 by
I have to say that I have had great experience with eHarmony customer service. Every time I called I got my answer within 5 mins. I think you may have gotten the new guy or gal.
A  31st of Dec, 2007 by
Eharmony customer service is horrible. No option to turn off automatic renewal. I ended up cancel my subscription one day after it renewed so I sent an email to customer service telling them I didn't want it to be renewed. They sent me an email to call customer service. I called about a week later and they told me I needed to call within 24 hours. No where in the email did it specify that I needed to call within 24 hours. They told me it was my fault and blamed me for calling to late. The agent was highly rude. Any good company that deals in good faith would've refunded me or even given me a pro-rated refund since I canceled 1 day into a 1 month renewal. However, they enjoy "automatically" stealing money from their customers.
N  26th of Jan, 2008 by
Never mind the above scenerios. Never mind the more then 6 dozen consumer complaints I just read. Iwanted a way to express my emotional downslide after eharmoney told me I could not be matched at all, AND THAT I fall into the 20% catergory of those who could not. HEY eharmoney, why dont you tell my parents this. Thankyou for those who had the guts to file there complaints. further more I filed my application at about 2am and received my response moments thereafter. My we work fast in the wee hours of the morning! The truth is eharmoney, that I paid nothing for a membership at this point, isnt it. Your attemting to lure me in by giving me negitive feedback,knowing I would want an explaination. regards your 1 millionth dissatisfied custamer.
A  18th of Oct, 2008 by
I agree, when I wanted to close my account with eharmony an stop the billing i was told that I do not have a subscription with them. 6 months later I'm still being billed for a subscription that according to them I do not have an am about ready to bring up a lawsuit against them for theft, because if I don't have a subscription with them but yet they're taking money from me that stealing as far as I'm concerned.
A  28th of Oct, 2008 by
I totally agree about forced subscription renewals as an eHarmony standard practice. Read on... I hope to get an amicable resolution to my situation.

From: jess
Subject: Refund for wrongful renewal charge (without my authorization)
To: "eHarmony Customer Care"
Cc: customerrelations@eHarmony.com
Received: Monday, October 27, 2008, 10:27 AM

You are hereby notified that I have contacted the Canadian Consumer Association to lodge a formal compliant against eHarmony for your incorrect renewal of my subscription when I had clearly set my account settings on my eHarmony profile page to show MY MEMBERSHIP AUTORENEWS AT: CANCELLED when it expried on October 18 2008 by following the steps in eHarmony.ca Terms and Conditions of Service (where it says in Clause 17. Automatic Renewal of Subscription. In order to access all features of the Service, you must purchase a paid subscription ("Subscription"). After you have purchased a Subscription and upon providing notice to you, the Company may renew your Subscription for subsequent terms. You may choose to not have your Subscription renewed by visiting the "My Matches" page, selecting the "My Settings" link in the top navigation area, clicking the "Account Settings" subheading, and clicking the "Cancel My Subscription" link at the bottom of the page to begin the cancellation process prior to the renewal date. You can also cancel your Subscription prior to the renewal date by sending email to usersupport@eharmony.ca, by calling (800) 390-3548, or by writing eHarmony, P.O. Box 60157, Pasadena, CA 91116 USA . 18. Death or Disability.)

I have tried writing thrice already without a proper response from you to my valid claim. I therefore have no other discourse but to take this up with higher authorities. I once again request you to credit ny VISA with the charge of $89.95 that you charged me wrongfully and hereby advise once more that I DO NOT WISH TO CONTINUE MY MEMBERSHIP WITH eHarmony.

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, eHarmony Customer Care wrote:

From: eHarmony Customer Care
Subject: Please note that when I subscribed to you in July 2008, I had specifically se... [Incident: 081022-000938]
To: jess@yahoo.ca
Received: Friday, October 24, 2008, 6:42 PM

Dear Jess,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm very sorry to hear that you are deciding to leave the eHarmony
community. In order to process your request, you must speak with a Customer Care
Representative by calling us toll free at 800-390-3548. We are available 24
hours a day, 7 days a week. Our representatives will be glad to assist you with
this and any other matter, regardless of your decision.

We look forward to helping you find the love of your life.

Vanessa W.
Customer Care

Customer E-mail (Jess)Thank you for your response but as I have
explained twice already now, when I subscribed back in July 2008 for three
months at the special rate of 39.85, I had manually followed the steps explained
in your terms and conditions (see below email received from eHarmony with
receipt of my payment and membership subscription), AND SET MY ACCOUNT NOT TO
as shown below. I even received an email from eHarmony at the time saying that
if I changed my mind, I could go back and reactivate my subscription status to
renew which I DID NOT because I had not changed my mind.

Your subscription expires on: October 18, 2008
Your membership auto-renews at: Canceled
Last payment received: July 18, 2008 for 39.85CAD

Reactivate My Subscription at:
3 Month Renewal for a total price of 39.85CAD.

Therefore I was shocked to receive an email from eHarmony on 18th October
acknowleding receipt of my subscription renewal for another three months. It
seems eHarmony must have reset the subscription status on my account settings
page and processed the subscription renewal automatically WITHOUT REQUESITNG MY
APPROVAL. I view this as a a forced renewal attempt on eHarmony's part
without my cooperation and am very disappointed at eHarmony's tactics. DO
matter further and request that you refund the charges of 89.85 ASAP.

I sincerely hope eHarmony will show good customer relations by processing the
above refun as I am no longer interested in eHarmony's services.

Thank you.
A  26th of May, 2009 by
I have also had nothing but problems with eHarmony with unauthorized billing for the last two years. I tried to cancel and couldn't get into my account, then it took me a whole day to find the number.When I finally got a hold of an actual person, they were out of a place in Kentucky or Tennessee, and told me I would have to write a letter to corporate office in Pasadena, California. I received no repsonse, and am still fighting these charges and have been turned into a collection agencies. I have never not paid a bill in my life. I have spent many months and several letters trying to resolve this, and I have been lied to several times by eHarmony customer service personnel. I talked to no one on the sight for six months and was willing to pay for the service, even though I wasn't satified, but then to be charged for service I did not want and tried to cancell is outrageous. I have nothing good to say about eHarmonies business practices, and evidently I'm not alone!
N  12th of Mar, 2010 by
My mail sucks. Everytime I hit send it goes back to write new message and all they tell me is to allow time for her to answer, How can she answer if she doesnt get my mail?
A  12th of Mar, 2010 by
Thata my complaint
A  28th of Apr, 2010 by
I signed up for the year plan which I paid in three large installments. I gave up before the year was over but had already paid. I assumed that once the year was over, I would stop being billed. I had them billing a card that I never use so I didn't catch this earlier.

Apparently, they changed my plan from an annual 3-installment plan to a monthly plan. I almost guarantee they do this because people don't detect a $20 monthly charge as easily as a $60 charge.

So it has been 8 months since I thought my subscription ended. That is $160 and total BS.

Based on the complaints I have read on here, I am just going to call my credit card company and tell them that I lost my card. That way eHarmony can't charge me anymore no matter how hard they try.

Also, make sure that you don't just cancel your subscription. CLOSE your account too. After canceling your subscription, go back into your account settings and below the renewal part it will say close account. This deletes all of your matches, info, etc. from their database. Probably the most surefire way to not get screwed.

Also, when you cancel your subscription and they have you fill out that stupid survey. Feel free to add your own colorful comments about their shady practices. I did and it felt great. Might not help me get my money back, but it felt great nonetheless.
A  18th of Sep, 2014 by
eHarmony is such a scam. Unbelievable I fell for this horsesh*t. There is no way of ending the subscription. They weren't clear on how the subscription works.

eHarmony Logo eHarmony