eHarmony / bad business practices

I was billed on my credit card for membership renewal and I never selected the automatic renewal feature. I even got a message saying that my auto renewal feature was off and that my membership would expire. I want to get a group of people and hire an attorney to get their attention. It is petty over $19, but it seems to be the only way to get companies to respond to you these days.

Comments

22nd of Jul, 2008

This is how they make their money. They automatically set you up for autorenewal even though you only selected a certain period of time. They make it hard to find a way to turn it off, and when I asked them to turn it off, they said they would verbally but charged me for another month at 49.99 anyway, refusing to refund it even though I immediately called them the morning they did that and also manually canceled my account. They are not interested in meeting the customer's needs or wishes or staying true to the intent of the agreement. They only want to make money at the customer's expense. They speak doublespeak and try to intimidate you by saying that if they were to give you a refund it would be really bad for the person who said they would cancel it for you, following that argument with the statement that they aren't "authorized" to give refunds. They try to wear you out, and even told my bank that I had only cancelled my account but had not cancelled the auto-renew. What is that supposed to mean? That I want to keep paying but not using the account? They are crooks.

22nd of Jul, 2008

Call them and tell them to turn off the auto-renewal, and then ask them to guide you while you are on the internet so you can see that it's turned off. Then print out that page. Also, cancel your credit card and get a new one. Write to eharmony by email or snail mail (or both so you have email time stamp) and tell them that you revoke any right to charge you for any service, past or present, except for the original month. You may not get any refunds, but this should stop them from charging you any more. They are really ruthless.

• Al
      14th of Aug, 2008

Has anyone seriously looked into a class action suit to get back money charged for auto-renewals? I did not get any notice that i was being renewed (and my credit card charged) even though the initial agreement states that we are supposed to receive notice. I tried to get a refund and was told that they don't do refunds and that i agreed to the auto renewal at the time of signing up (even though i didn't even know there was a renewal setting). I am upset that this kind of practice has been going on. They need to be stopped.