EC Vehicle Rental / unrecognised transaction

1 England, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

I rented a car from Europcar on from the 29-30 of Sept. I paid it immediatly with my credit card and I was told that everything was alright, when I brought the car back.
Now I found out that on the 20 of Oct. EC Vehicle Rental charged from my credit card 11, 05 Pounds.

Comments

• Ca
      Jan 28, 2011

I also rented a car from Evershine Travel, to be collected and returned to Manchester airport. All went well, the car was returned with a full tank of petrol and undamaged, and despite this, I have just noticed that a company called "EC Vehicle Rental" has charged my credit card 150 pounds sterling for I know not what reason.
    I have received no communication from this company to explain the reason for this charge and therefore I am going to contact my credit card company to try and cancel the payment.

May 23, 2011

Well blow me! I have had a recurring rental from Alamo, of which I pay £130 per week on a weekly basis.
    I have now been told that there was a payment made to EC Vehicle rental for £434 !!!
    I have contacted my card company who are looking into this.
    Can someone pls forward me the details for this company so I can call them and 'give em what for'
    My addy is [protected]@hotmail.com.
    Your assistance would be much appreciated.

• Ri
      Sep 24, 2011

I would go elsewhere...
    I had to rent there because of convenience
    but the guys at the east ham location are not customer friendly and I had problems all through out - it extended even after I was done with the rental period. They charged me twice again all over for the insurance cover ( as if they had no common sense )
    They gave the reserved car to someone else and made me and the family wait at their place for more than an hour despite me having booked the car for a specific period
    and I felt the rental agency are not a safe place where you could give your credit card details

At the same time, i have dealt with other Alamo locations in London and they had provided me with wonder service.

I suppose its the incompetency of the personnel at the East ham rental location is the issue.

• Je
      Feb 29, 2012

I rented a car in Nov through carhire3000. When I collected the car from the Alamo desk at Birmingham airport the staff were rude and arrogant, no staff were available for pre-inspection either - very unprofessional. 2 weeks after the rental I was charged £334 by EC vehicle rental, on top of a similar charge to carhire3000. When I reported the case each party points fingers to the other, won't be using either again

• Jg
      Nov 12, 2012

I have also rented cars from different rental companies during my previous trips to UK, but June this year when I didn't rent any car, my Visa card was charged with about 265 pounds by EC Vehicle Rental. I didn't realise it till recently as I was travelling quite a bit last few months. My bank told me they could not do anything, and Visa International has not replied why they apprioved such transactions. How disappointing of the services of such a big corporation.

• Ni
      Jun 12, 2013
    EC Vehicle Rental - extra payment
    Niels Christian Beck
    Denmark

I rent a car in Edinburg. voucher: 6042005-1. From 19th May to 26th May. We paid all when we ordered the car. And should refueling when we delivered it. And we did. The staff who received the car said everything was okay. But you have raised 69, 97 GBP on my account the 29th May. WHY.??? . Regards Niels Christian Beck.

Jul 15, 2013

Ich habe über rentalcar bei alamo für die Zeit vom 17. - 29.6.2013 ein Auto gemietet und vorab per Kreditkarte bezahlt. In Stanstead
    beim entsprechenden Schalter wurde noch ein GPS (GBP 130, 00) und eine zusätzliche Versicherung (GBP 29, 00) gebucht. Abge-
    bucht wurden im nachhinein von meinem Konto GBP 439, 94 und keiner kann mir sagen, wofür !!! In meinen vorigen Urlauben in England habe ich das Auto immer bei Sixt gebucht und es war immer korrekt - soviel zur Schnäppchenjagt !!
    Christa aus Salzburg

•   Jul 25, 2013

Salzburg,
    We’ve taken note of your concern and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [protected]@Alamo.com including the exact rental location information, your contact information, your rental agreement or reservation number and any further information regarding your experience with us.

When emailing, please list Reference Number 130725-001862 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Mitch
    Social Media Team
    Alamo

Jul 26, 2013

I hired a car from Cardiff airport from july 7th to 12th 2013. The rental company was Alamo.
    an unexplained transaction has been debited to my credit card by EC Vehicle Rental Leicester HQ GB in the sum of £302.96. There has been no communication nor no explanation for this transaction. It is worrying to see that many others have had this problem. Can any body get back on this site and let me know the outcome of their complaints to Alamo??
    maria galway

• Li
      Aug 06, 2013

Interesting that I have just checked my accounts and the same thing has happened... an extra charge of 189 pounds. This was after an initial charge from the rental company when I started the rental. How can they do this? Just about to call them... This was Enterprise through rentalcars.com

Aug 06, 2013

Wir haben einen Mietwagen über Auto Europe (National Car) in Glasgow vom 25. Mai bis 02.Juli gemietet und vorab komplett bezahlt. Jetzt finde ich eine Extra-Abbuchung über meine Kreditkarte in Höhe von 112, 63 Euro von EC Vehicle Rental Leicester HQ GB. Ohne jede Erklärung wofür ! Ich werde versuchen, die Buchung rückgängig zu machen, solange ich keine schriftliche und ausreichende Begründung bekomme.
    Manfred Voelker

• Lo
      Aug 08, 2013

I hired a van from Alamo in Newcastle on 24 July and dropped it off at Salisbury on the 26th.
    I have just notice an unexplained transaction from EC vehicle rental Leicester of £50.
    When I handed back the van i asked them to check it over and give me a receipt before I left. So WHY HAS THIS MONEY BEEN TAKEN OUT.
    Does anyone have the number I can contact them please
    Email me - [protected]@yahoo.co.uk

A very confused, unhappy Louise x

Aug 21, 2013

further to my post of July 26th last, where our credit card was debited with an unexplained transaction, Alamo have now got back to me to say the extra fee was a young driver fee, of £27.08 per day, however I had agreed a young driver fee with Car-Hire-Uk, which was included in my quote from Car-Hire-UK. Alamo are refusing to honour the original quote I received from Car-Hire-Uk. I kept a print out of my on line chat while booking this car and this fully details what I was to be billed. I booked this car in good faith expecting to be billed a certain amount and now find I am being billed over £100 extra. Has anybody else had this experience of being over billed?

• Br
      Aug 26, 2013

I have just checked my CC statement and I have been charged £450 by EC Car Rental on top of my hire amount (by Alamo) at Birmingham Airport UK. I paid the original booking of £350.00 through Alamo's website. So that is a whopping £800 for 2 weeks rental. I did take out excess protection but the lady quoted me £14 a day which doesn't come to nearly £450! I am furious and am going to start the complaints procedure immediately, starting with Alamo.

•   Aug 28, 2013

BrianUK,
    We’ve taken note of your post and would like to discuss this further with you. Please send us a detailed email to [protected]@alamo.com including the exact rental location information, your contact information, your rental agreement or reservation number and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    When emailing, please list Reference Number 130828-002192 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Kind Regards,
    Carol
    Social Media
    Alamo Car Rental

•   Aug 28, 2013

Maria galway,
    When emailing, please list Reference Number 130828-002355 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Carol
    Social Media
    Alamo Car Rental

• Na
      Sep 14, 2013

I've just had the same experience. Booked through Alamo via rentalcars.com and have found an additional charge with the same description. What was the result for everyone? It would be good to know the most direct path to a resolution also if anyone can help. The amount of jumping through hoops these companies make you do sometimes almost makes it seem to big of a task to chase up.

•   Sep 14, 2013

nathanaus,
    I have forwarded your correspondence to our International Services Department to be further addressed by a specialist there. A representative from that office will be in touch soon. Your patience is appreciated.

Please feel free to contact us at [protected]@alamo.com with any questions or concerns and reference # 130914-000717 as we have opened a file for this .

Carol H.
    Social Media Representative
    Alamo Rent A Car

• Si
      Sep 23, 2013

I have just had a similar case after renting a car through Rentals.Com from Aberdeen airport.
    Paid through website as usual and now have an extra payment to EC Vechicle Hire in Leicester.
    No idea why !!

Oct 19, 2013

I rented a car from a supplier named Alamo through car3000.com from the 25 September 2013 to 05 October 2013. I paid HK$2, 877.64 on 26 August 2013 immediatelty with my credit card and I was told that everything was alright, when I brought the car back.
    I recently checked my bank account using internet banking and found over Hong Kong Dollars 4, 033.55 had been taken in payment to 'EC Vehicle Rental LEICESTER HQ GB'. There has been no communication nor no explanation for this transaction.So WHY HAS THIS MONEY BEEN TAKEN OUT. Please Email me - [protected]@gmail.com the reasons

Nov 02, 2013

Same thing with us. We rented a car on 19th October and on 20 th October charges of £250 and £777 appeared on our statement from EC Car rental. We rented the car for part of a day from Manchester Airport went only to The Trafford Centre where it was parked for a few hours. I returned the car, putting petrol in it, and the guy said it was fine. I always check before and after renting after getting stung for damage I didn't do in Portugal. There was no damage beyond the small scratches already noted on the rental. How can a company take such large sums of money with no explanation? Is this a localised fraud? Who knows? Rental Cars have told us they will get back to us within a month! Amazing took no more than a few hours to charge £1027 but a month to investigate.

• Om
      Nov 10, 2013

Ditto!
    Rented a car from Woodford Green Europcar on 26th October. Check CC statement to find it's been charged £67.60 to EC Vehicle Rental Leicester. No communication or explanation. Especially galling after I was told when returning the vehicle that I'd have nothing extra to pay.

• Ri
      Dec 12, 2013

Nov 4 Ec Vehicle Rental Leicester HQ Gb
    Ref. Number: 74350653309873096758171
    AUD$ 279.97
    Foreign Amount Pound Sterling 160.00
    AUD 279.97 includes International Transaction fee AUD 8.94
    To whom it may concern,
    I request all other complaints contact me to explore a civil class action against "Ec Vehicle Rental Leicester HQ Gb" and options for criminal action against the directors if the company for encarceration.

• St
      Dec 14, 2013

me too !
    I rented the car from Alamo Brighton to London Stansted at 14.11.2013 ! Today I saw the statement and there is a debit entry 35 Euro (that´s ok from Alamo) and the EC Vehicle Rental, Leicester HQ from 123, 16 Euro !! What is that ?

Dec 18, 2013

16.12.13 My daughter has not even hired a car while in Europe and her MasterCard travel cash card has been cleaned out with charges of 323.00 GPB. Even though she contacted MasterCard to advise fraudulent transaction on her account was pending and she submitted a Disputed Transaction Form they still settled the payment the next day, but wouldn't let her get money out to buy food, I tried phoning EC Vehicle Rental from website phone number but does not connect.

Dec 18, 2013

Sorry I should have clarified my previous comment above - this charge of 323.00 GBP was EC Vehicle Rental Leicester HQ

Jan 08, 2014

Further to unauthorised charge from EC vehicle rental - I emailed Europcar in Leicester on 19/12/13 - received this reply 8/1/14
    "Good afternoon Mr Williams, Thank you for your email.The amount charged to your daughter was for a reservation made for a Mr Andruis Dauksa. As this reservation did not go ahead. I have had the amount refunded. The refund will reflect into your daughters account within the next 3 - 10 working days."Regards Ricky PATEL
    Europcar Car Rental | Customer Services
    Office: 0871 384 0235| Fax: +44 207 198 1713
    James House, 55 Welford Road, Leicester, LE2 7AR, UK mailto: [protected]@europcar.com
    Will wait with anticipation to see of credit does actually come through or I will be following up!!

• Da
      Jan 22, 2014

I have also been a victim of this. I rented a car on a recent visit to the UK then saw that I had a charge of almost $350 against my credit card. On investigation by both myself and my bank found this charge had been taken by Alamo for alleged damage to the vehicle. The vehicle was damage free when I returned it. And I have photographs to prove it however Alamo say not. I suspect the small scratch on the rear need the boot was caused by whoever takes the vehicles for valeting on their return. Alamo will not listen to me nor will h they refund or explain why this charge was taken by what at the time was an unknown company to me...Beware and stay away the only satisfaction I have is knowing that I will never rent from them again.

• Ha
      Jan 24, 2014

Here's another one. I rented a car from Bristol airport through an on-line agent (Atlas Choice) from 30th December 13 to 8th January 14 . The company they contracted was Alamo, now part of Europcar. As I had bought excess cover via the on-line agent they swiped my credit card before I took the car. Car was fine and I returned it on time, full tank and in daylight. Their guy looked it over, pronounced it was Ok and I left it with him. I later found £129.91 had been taken from my account by EC (which is Europcar) Vehicle rental, Leicester. I have received no communication from them giving a reason for this charge. I e-mailed them (Incidentally their e-mail address on the paperwork supplied with the car is misprinted - deliberately?). An automatic reply promised a response within 10 working days. I got three invoices e-mailed to me. Two were for £0.00 so pointless, one was for £129.91 quoting unspecified damage. I have still not had the courtesy of a reply to my questions requesting they specify the alleged damage, provide me with evidence of the damage and why it was not pointed out on the return of the car. Even if they were justified in taking this amount I have been provided with no way to claim it on my excess insurance. I never had this sort of thing with Alamo before they were taken over. There are two other companies in Bristol airport - Hertz and Avis/Budget so you can avoid this bunch of cowboys and use a professional company instead. It is also open to me to complain to the local trading standards authority which I'm preparing to do, maybe if enough of us do the same they'll learn they can't treat customers like this.

Feb 16, 2014

I also have been stung by Alamo. I rented the care from Liverpool Airport 6 Dec, returning it with a full tank of petrol to Manchester airport 9 Dec 2013, with a cost of £89.59. Now, like many before me I have seen another transaction on my Credit Card to the sum of £55 taken out by EC Vehicle Rental on 10th December I don't know what this charge is for. There has been no communication nor no explanation for this transaction. Is this legal for this company to act in the manner it is doing ? I will email them to understand why this happened

• Ha
      Feb 16, 2014

Further to my post re Bristol Airport Alamo/Europcar. I had a reply to my e-mail to them . They are alleging £129.91 taken from my card was for damage to wall of a rear tyre and suggesting they could have charged me more so it seems I should be grateful!. They claim the damage wasn't noticed immediately because it was raining - I say it was not raining when I left it and the returns guy went round it in my presence so if it was there he would have seen it. I say I saw someone driving it around the car park as I was leaving in another hire car from a different company. I suggested that once they took over the car and drove it away any unreported/un-noticed damage should be down to them as it would be for me if I took possession of it and didn't notice something. It seems it's a one way street as far as they are concerned. I don't notice damage then I'm responsible, they don't notice damage then I'm still responsible. Anyway, lesson learned, thank you Alamo/Europcar. We now know what you think of your customers - we're just dumb cash cows who can pay for anything and everything you say after the event with no comeback on you. No one likes being ripped off so here's some comeback from me. Make your own minds up about this company people, we on this thread can't all be wrong. I suggest you use a different company, Alamo/Europcar aren't the only ones available.

• Je
      Feb 25, 2014

I've just been advised by our bank that EC Vehicle Rentals have attempted to take AUD174 from our account overnight. We rented from them in Islington last November, paid in advance and were told that everything was OK when we returned the car in Bath. I'm glad that the bank declined the transaction.

• Ba
      Mar 19, 2014

Same thing happened to me at Alamo at Glasgow Airport through Easyjet disgraceful service, credit card company on the case i hope, posting on as many sites as i can hopefully others will not experience this theft

• Ba
      Mar 28, 2014

Iv just been stung by Alamo for an extra £345 for my 12 days i rented the car with no explanation. im gutted i never read this website beforehand. im in the process of contacting BBC watchdog and so far they seem very interested in the story so hopefully can get the company named and shamed on national tv. Iv never been this ripped off in the past and it seems at the moment im helpless. All i can do is hope the BBC will televise my story and the word will be spread at what a cowboy company AlAMO are. NEVER AGAIN.

• Fe
      May 27, 2014

I recently rented a car in the UK. I booked a small car on May 1st through rentalcars.com at a cost if $272 Cad to be picked up at Heathrow on May 3rd. After a 4 hour delay at my connection, a red eye flight and a 45 minute wait at National, I was very tired, and didn't really take in the fact that a) they were now talking £ not $, and that slapping all the extra airport and London tax plus liability insurance et al, I would now be paying more than double the quoted amount. Not only that but, on checking my statement today, I find I'd already paid the $272 quoted online, plus £338 (around $640) when I took the car back. It's 10 days since I returned the car and I have not received anything back. All in all, what was quoted online as being $272 ended up costing me $906!!! That's more than triple the cost. When I went to Hawaii at Xmas I ordered 4 cars online and all were the prices quoted! No extras, no hidden airport taxes, no insurance ($19 extra on my Canadian insurance for almost 4 weeks), no extra charges going out. Right now I'm not a happy camper especially as I have to phone international to get it sorted!

• Ly
      Jun 12, 2014

Who are ec vehicle rentals cos the same thing happened to me and I reported it to my credit card as a fraudulent transaction I did get my money back but this should not have happened in the first place without my authorisation something should be done about this company whoever they are they just can't take money out with the authorisation is it fraud in my eyes

• Pa
      Jul 03, 2014

Same thing happened to me:
    Rented a car from RENTALCARS.COM MANCHESTER on 30/04/2014. My credit card has been charged a sum of £ 89.63 . This is the full payment for the rental. However, after returning the car on 23/05/2014 and additional charge of £ 119.97 which is out of no where were debited from my cc account. I end up paying more than double for the car rental!!

30/04/2014 01/05/2014 RENTALCARS.COM MANCHESTER MYR 504.90 (£ 89.63)
    23/05/2014 27/05/2014 EC VEHICLE RENTAL LEICESTER HQ MYR 664.48 (£ 119.97)
    Details of rental:

Location: Heathrow Airport
    Date: 23 May 2014 11:00

Total Cost: £89.63

•   Jul 03, 2014

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further. Please email [protected]@Enterprise.com with your full name, rental agreement #/ reservation # and any other details. -Tatiana

When emailing, please list reference # (140703-001570) the subject line.

Jul 08, 2014

I wish I had known there has been numerous cases where unexplained charges have been deducted so I could have saved myself from unnecessary stress dealing with Alamo. I have rented a car from Alamo through Lastminute.com in Guildford, but a day after my charges were taken from the credit card, an unexplained 630.34 pounds (!!!) was deducted. I had the all clear from the agent upon returning the car with full tank and there has been no communication from Alamo, so I do not understand this charge at all. We travel extensively and Alamo/ Europecar will be off my list of hiring cars if this incident cannot be sorted.

• Pa
      Jul 16, 2014

Rentalcar has responded to and resolved my complain. Extra charges did occur due to the additional insurance coverage signed on car collection day (19/05/2014).

However, due to double payment of insurance, Rentalcar has agreed to refund me a total of £37.40 on 15/07/2014.

Summary of case
    30/04/2014 01/05/2014 RENTALCARS.COM MANCHESTER MYR 504.90 (£ 89.63)
    23/05/2014 27/05/2014 EC VEHICLE RENTAL LEICESTER HQ MYR 664.48 (£ 119.97)
    15/07/2014 Refund £37.40

The case is considered closed. I'm satisfied with the refund and the extra charges made. Many thanks to https://www.complaintsboard.com and rentalcars.com.