EasyJet / cancellation and delay

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

My partner and I received and email on 06-01-2010 cancelling our flight from Larnaca to Gatwick. Fair enough - Gatwick snowbound. We rescheduled to the next available flight on th 10th, That was delayed for 24 hours.
Our problem is that in order to claim against our travel insurance we need insurance letters from easyJet. These haved been requested, but no sign of them. In a few days our time will be up, and we will not be able to claim.
The initial problems were not your fault, but we are out of pocket and unable toget redress because of your negligent "customer service". This is a strange case of "customer service" losing a customer!
Thanks a lot, easyJet!

Comments

• Ai
      11th of Feb, 2010

Have you already initiated your claim with your travel insurance company? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the deadline applies to the filing date, not the date when all the information has to be submitted... Regardless, show the insurance company receipts that you sent the info to the airline and they should be willing to contact them on your behalf. We are contacted by insurance companies on a regular basis, requesting confirmation on delays.

• Mi
      26th of Feb, 2010

Thanks for your reply. We initiated the claim in good time, but had to get the paperwork back by a certain date. That date is now long gone.
    However, a few days ago easyJet contacted me asking what we wanted in the insurance letter. I would have thought it was obvious.
    Anyway, I complained about them costing us our insurance claim. They are now "considering" paying our out of pocket expenses. Of course, they require receipts, whereas insurance companies pay out based on length of delay.
    Thanks again,

• Mi
      14th of Mar, 2010

Update: eventually got reimbursement of some hotel expenses.
    For the record, here is my reply:

"I clearly have no choice but to accept your limited refund.

However. If easyJet had responded to our initial request for documentation we would have made a full claim on our travel insurance with confidence of a full payment based on length of interruption to our travel plans. We had already been informed by our insurance company that upon production of your letter detailing time and reason for the cancellation and subsequent delay, then a payment would be made. It is because of easyJet’s obstruction and tardiness that we were unable to make a such a claim within a reasonable time period of 30 days from initiating the claim process.

You have cost us money.

You are a disgrace, with no concept of the meaning of customer service. Your website automates the debiting of customer accounts and the issue of travel documents. I see no reason why you cannot similarly automate the issue of insurance letters.

Your cabin crew are childish and patronising. When travelling, I do not care if it is the birthday of any of them. Nor do I care what European city they spent the previous night in. Be assured, you will never see us on one of your aircraft again.

Your service may give the appearance of being value for money, but ultimately you are an expensive liability. Your refusal to issue timely documentation has cost us our insurance claim, which would have been at least double your own payment.

If the email address of any of your directors were available them this email would have been copied to them."