Dish Network / price increase to existing customers who have contract

Dish Network increased prices for 2009.They have right for this no comments.But they should not increase for their existing customers who have 24 month commitment with old prices.ie Effective date of price inrease should be after 24 month contract period for the existing customers.For the new customers they have 6 month promotional price .When I called customer service no proper answer and say I have to pay cancellation charges if I wish to cancel their service as there is a 24 month contract.ie They try to impose military dictatorship rule.Does any one knows governing body like State Public Utility commision.Unfortunately PA PUC 9http://www.puc.state.pa.us/) say they donot handle Satellite & Cable TV complaints.I feel there will be lots of customers who took in the last 12 months will have same problems.Can all such victims can file class of action suit against DISH Network bad business practises.

D  2nd of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Pulled right from the contract you agreed to:

Changes in Services Offered. We reserve the right to add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, and our prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services at any time, including without limitation during any term agreement period to which you have agreed under the terms and conditions of any other agreement with DISH Network. If a change affects you, we will provide you notice of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement any programming, programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted, rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree that you will not be entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered

Sucks dont it.
A  6th of Mar, 2009 by
It especially sucks if you only signed up a few weeks before the actual price increase like that one http://www.pogomono.com/dishnetwork.html
A  7th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
How is that a legal and binding contract when you can change the terms of the contract, doesnt that go against the definition of a contract? So if they wanted to charge me $200 more each month for the exact same service that I have Im obligated to pay it unless I pay for the cancellation charge? That doesnt make sense. They sent me a notice saying they tried to keep their costs down but must charge an increase now. I have over a year left on contract. There must be some law they are violating by doing this. I think because the increase amounts to less than $10 people dont complain much but seriously what if it was an extra $100 a month, we are still required to pay? I bet people would have a hissy then and someone would make a case out of this. Its crap I tell ya!!!
N  13th of Feb, 2010 by
If anyone finds a way to do something about this garbage, please let me know. My email address is aaron0226@me.com. I absolutely think this is a bunch of crud just like the others who posted before me. I don't mind them raising their price, but I signed a 2 year contract for the old price, not the new one.
A  2nd of Mar, 2010 by
I have the same problem. I just talked to Dish. I have a 2 year contract. They are claiming that I cannot leave them for 2 years but they can change the pricing at will!!

How can such a contract be valid? I am going to find out where I can complain. See, if enough of us complain, the regulatory agency will take nay action.

Does any one believe that we need a consumer protection agency at Federal level? The big business and big government can screw the customers at will, it looks like...
A  3rd of Mar, 2010 by
I had the same billing problem yesterday. I signed up last November for 2 years, and now 4 months into it, they have raised my bill by $5.27 - a 17% increase for me.
I went around and around with several agents at Dish Network and each one refused to back down.
Finally, I ended up at the executive office and got an address for filing a small claims lawsuit. It is Dish Network, P.O.Box 9040, Littleton, CO 80120
The telephone number at the executive office is 720-514-8555 x81021.
The amount involved here is only $105.40 for the remaining 20 months of the contract, but it is the principle involved.
If enough of us get involved, then maybe we can do a class action suit for customers with time remaining on existing contracts .
(I will be talking with a lawyer this afternoon, and will post what I find later)
N  11th of Mar, 2010 by
DishNet equipment pricing has become horrible. even if you spend $300+ to buy your own HD DVR, you pay $17/month. If you lease from DN, you still pay same. That's crazy. They don't want you to own equipment so that you are at their mercy. Have you ever heard of buying your own car and still be forced to make lease payments?

DN - get real. Be reasonable ...
N  14th of Mar, 2010 by
I am in the same boat. I just signed up for a 24 month contract and now they are raising my rates. Anybody have info on a class action suit? How can a contract be legal when they can raise their rates at will?
A  22nd of Mar, 2010 by
It is hard enough dealing with the economy and when big companies like dish network take advantage of the situation like this it really suck's and they make sure you can't get out of your contract either. As soon as my contract is up I will be canceling this crappy company.
N  23rd of Mar, 2010 by
I'm with you guys on this one. They did the same thing to me. I just signed up this past October for 24 months and now Dish Network is raising their prices on me also. They should not advertise their service for one price then change it once you are their customer. If I change something in their service I get fined around $300.00 dollars. But if they change something it's ok. Well it isn't ok I will also be calling the executive office to complain. I will also look into other actions that I can take.
A  11th of Apr, 2010 by
I agree How can dish have you sign a contract and then after you sign it they raise the rates, Glad my phone service does not do this I have free long distance Last month i used 300 minutes long distance Just think if they decided to send me a bill changing their mind about FREE service like dish. I got FREE dvr and FREE dvr service then last month i got a bill I calle dna dthey told me it is no longer FREE Cant cancell still have over a year contract, DISH NETWORK SUCKS.
A  27th of Jun, 2010 by
How about free HD service to new customers and existing customers cost is 200 dollars. What a joke.
A  28th of Jun, 2010 by
I agree. I spend 90 minutes on the phone with three CSRs and get the same information: I have 24 month commitment and they can change price and I cannot do much about it. Let's spread the words and have more people with the same situation leave a complaint, and maybe a class law suit lawyer or the state general attorney may take some actions.
A  1st of Jul, 2010 by
I had been a Dish Network customer since 2003. I payed for one year in advance and 3 months later Dish canceled my account on their own and did activate me on a new account where I had to pay a fee for one of my DVR receivers. It is an old 501 receiver for which I payed full price in 2003 (not leased to Dish Network). No
Yes I believe that it is time for a class action against Dish Network as the regulatory agencies With the exception of the FTC) so far are doing close to nothing. Perhaps the FTC will help if they receive enough complaints regarding this company and its practices.
A  9th of Jul, 2010 by
Absolutely agree. Even though it's in the contract it's still a very unfair term that they get to change pricing as they want at any time... Not to mention most of us usually just take a quick glance and sign the contract when the installation guy is waiting.

There's got to be a way where all of us could file our complaint against dish network together and make it suffer!!!
A  18th of Aug, 2010 by
The Attorney General in your state is your attorney for deceptive business practice. Contact them immediately. I am going to mine tomorrow since I got nowhere with Dishnetwork for the same problem of price increase for my 24 month contract after I was already 5 months into it. We all should file complaints with the AG office so they can look into this and perhaps file a lawsuit against Dishnetwork and we can hope to get our money back for the over charge.
N  2nd of Sep, 2010 by
A  4th of Sep, 2010 by
I used to be a dish fan- especially when they refused to fold to channel 2 rates. However, my views have changed since my move in may of this year. I was originally paying $65.00 a mo. for top 240 and two receivers. Slowly ( over a year or so the charges crept up to $70. Part of my package was a free move as well. Then, when I moved, I was charged $90 for moving and was told the offer was only valid for six months. Who the hell wants to get service for six months only. Fallowing this I dropped top 240 to top 120 . I fought to get credit for only using one receiver and was given credit for 3 months ($15) and next month my monthly payment goes up to $ 45- for programming that's just"o.k".

Wat is really frustrating is that my co-worker pays $28 a mo. for the same package and we live in the same town! The recent dish promotional offers I have seen claim the regular price for my same package is $39.99 a mo. so, what's up?

The fact is all cable and satellite companies have become out of control with rates and programming. For years I have been forced to wade through channels of infomercials and yet, no cheaper rates. I find it hard to believe that the majority wants to watch "supple beverages" over family guy, the science channel or, sponge bob, for that matter. We as consumers are being robbed, plain and simple! The solution: boycott or government involvement.
D  9th of Sep, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Cmon people seriously? I guess if your over 60 and the lights a lil dim then I understand. I for one love to write complaints as well. And I will WHEN i know what im talking about at least. Ive had cable, directv, and dishnetwork all within the last 5 years. And both satellite companies have on the original contract that most of you ignorantly just signed away, that they are able to raise their rates at any time. Of course your happy tosign it cause you just went from paying 80 bucks for one hddvr and 3 crap converter boxes to around 40 to 60$ for digital boxes on all your tvs. Ive found that at least satellite tv doesnt charge up around 20$ for my hddvr and that they dont have 10-20 in taxes on a 70$ bill. If you want the least expensive television service even with the rate increases you have to have satellite tv and just except the rate increases. At least its only occasionally once a year (and at most) it has gone up on current customers with 6 tvs around 16$ for most customers with 4 only 9$. Thats nothing considering cable goes up like 8 dollars EVERY February and 6 dollars EVERY August if you dont think it does then you dont watch your bill! That, or they pricelocked you for an amount of time but that price lock is still crap compared to satellite even with a price raise! If you dont want all your shows that you like, and dont want to deal a company thats in business to make money (welcome to America) then your straight out of luck. And sorry if a sales rep lied to you...you shouldnt have been lazy, and should have done the homework yourself! Shoot you have enough time to type a book on it! If you would have spent half that time to do a lil research so you could have been at peace with it you could have spent the last half an hour of typing to enjoy a show that you liked and wouldnt have been so angry at the world. Oh and p.s. to the people thinkin they can take a company down... hahaha...it sure must have been nice to be spoiled as a kid. Maybe thats why you were misled, because you were so used to just whinning and not doing anything for yourselves. Have a fun life being angry! lol
A  3rd of Oct, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I am another victim of Dish Network having signed up in 2009 for the 24 month price. They have raised my rates by $8/month three months ago and now by $24/month from the original price, when it was supposed to have gone down, after one year.

I sent an email outlining the customer service agent's text to our Colorado Attorney General's office/and consumer fraud department at the following email addresses.

I suggest you do the same to create one message from "the people".

uccc@state.co.us, stop.fraud@state.co.us

I hope Dish goes out of business for such corrupt and unethical practices!

DISH Network / DISH.com Logo DISH Network / DISH.com