Dish Network / no service, but charged cancellation fee.

183 North State StreetCaro, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 989-673-8094
In April of 2008 I contacted Sky Link Cable requesting that they set up Cable TV service in our home. I told the man on the phone that we had our house up for sale and planned to move to another city in Michigan as soon as it sold. I was assured by this man that Sky Link had a large customer base in there and that it would be no problem to change service.

On April 21st, 2008 the technician installed the Dish TV service at our residence in Bad Axe. At the end of May 2008, we received an offer on our house with a closing date of June 30th, 2008. In the first week of June, I contacted the Sky Link in Caro and notified them that we were moving and requested that they move our service to our new address.

An appointment was set up for a technician to install the dish on June 11th. When the technician arrived, he stated that there was no service at all at our new location and that we needed to cancel our service. We were instructed to request the postage paid boxes at the corporate number so that we could return the equipment. I did so, but they sent the boxes to the old address. I re-requested the boxes on June 3rd, and they were finally sent to the new address. I returned the boxes with the equipment packed inside through the mail, by UPS on about July 8th, 2008.

In the meantime, our checking account was charged $220 on July 3rd, from Dish Network. On July 10th, our checking account was charged $500 from Radio Shack in Caro (Sky Link Cable). We also incurred overdraft charges of $30 (x3) as we were not expecting these withdrawals from our account.

On July 7th, I contacted the Corporate office of Dish Network and complained about the $220 fee. I was told that it was a mistake and that we would receive a credit back in 5 business days. I did not get the operator information for this phone call. We did not receive the credit back as of July 14th.

On July 14th I contacted Juan Delossantos at the Corporate Office of Dish Network and explained that we canceled our service because their company was not able to provide the service which we contracted for and therefore should not be liable for the charge of $220. Juan's phone number is [protected] and his fax is [protected]. Juan said that he would go ahead and credit our account the $220 and that we should see it in 5 days.

On July 14th, I noticed the $500 charge to our checking account from Sky Link Cable in Caro, so I called their customer service representative “Sandy”. I was told that they did in fact charge us the $500 and that we also owed an additional $179, which would go to collections if we did not pay it. I argued that we only cancelled the service because they were not able to provide us any Cable service, even though we were told that our new home was in a covered area, and that we should not be liable for the disconnect fees that we were being charged. The Customer Service Representative stated that we were liable and that she had a contract to prove that we were liable. I told her that we were more than happy to pay for our service if they could provide the service that we contracted for. She refused to refund the $500 fee or the $179 fee still pending. I told her that I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General and she said that that was my legal right. We ended the phone conversation.
Pa

Comments

Ps
  26th of Dec, 2008
This very same situation has just happened to me. I moved to a new place at the end of October 2008 (just 2 months after having the dish installed) and scheduled to have the Dish installed there. Once the tech came to install they could not get reception at all. By his words "No line of site due to apartment orientation", meaning there is NO Reception at all to get a signal. The tech told me to call and cancel my service and tell them not to charge the cancellation fee due to not being able to get service at all at the new residence.

I called a couple days later and the customer service rep said they would credit me back the payment they had just taken out of my account and they would NOT charge me the cancellation fee due to not getting service. They were also to send me a box to ship my cable box back to them.

Now it is end of December and I got a bill for the cancellation fee of $220 and they posted the credit I was to get back from the billing error towards the cancellation fee. They also said they will be billing me $425 for the cable box because I did not return it.

It seems that none of this was documented on my account from the prior rep so they are not going to honor what I was told. They said they will hold off on charging me for the cable box for another 10 days for me to return it (after they send me a return box) but they will not reverse the cancellation fee. No matter what the reason they said, I broke the contract and it was my decision to move, not theirs so I own the cancellation fee even though I can not get service.

This is very bad service, the last rep I spoke to was very rude and had a very stuburn attatidude. This company sucks!

DISH Network / DISH.com Logo DISH Network / DISH.com