Dish Network / fraudulent billing practices!
I am a dish network customer myself, - and decided to treat my mother and father-in-law (Bill and joan denison) to an upgraded receiver, so they could see their local channels more clearly on their tv. Since it is difficult for either of them to deal with dish network themselves, I have been doing all of this on their behalf at their request. The equipment upgrade charge was put on my credit card.
I am so frustrated with dish network company I could scream!!! In mid-august of 2007 I set up an appointment to have a new receiver installed, and was told it would be $59.95. I decided the next day to upgrade to a dual-receiver hd instead for $169, - and was told that this would include the cost of installation. I noticed, however, that the most recent bill has charges for both the $59.95 and the $169.
I called on august 15th and explained the over-charge to them and was assured they would refund the $59.95, which has not happened. Additionally my in-laws were given a dvr which we never ordered, and so were charged a more expensive price as well as now being charged an extra $6.52 extra every month for dvr service they do not want.
The first bill also has all types of miscellaneous charges that were neither discussed nor agreed on.
I called on september 5th and spoke to a man, and explained the situation. He did not seem to understand, and seemed very unclear about what I was disputing, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. When he put me on hold I was disconnected. I called back and spoke to a lady who said her name was shren. She said that the $59.95 charge was requested but never approved as the agent did not document it correctly, but she would take care of it. She again had difficulty understanding me, so I asked to speak to a supervisor, at which time I was once again disconnected. I called again and spoke with a denise who said she would refund the installation charges, and also would schedule a new appointment to swap out the receiver so we would not pay so much. She said she was transferring me to some type of account specialist who would be authorized to set this up for me, - but once again I was mysteriously disconnected. At this point I am so frustrated with the incredibly poor customer service, that I can’t take the stress of calling again. Here are the errors on their part:
1. We should only have been charged $169 for a dual-tuner hd receiver, but were given a dual dvr receiver and charged $199 instead, as well as the $59.95 installation charge. I think this error is fairly obvious looking at the billing statement, - since the credit card charge on 8/13 was specifically for $169, not $199. If I had authorized a dual dvr hd receiver, the credit card charge would have been $199 instead. Now my in-laws are forced to pay an additional $6.52 every month because of receiving the incorrect equipment. I hardly think they will ever even use the dvr feature, - thus it is a wasted monthly expense.
2. I did not order the hd package. I only wanted them to have the hd receiver in the event in the future they decide to order the hd package, then they would have the correct equipment for it. I understand it is $6.00 per month extra for having this tuner, and that is ok. However, dish network has given them the hd package, - and even if it is free for 6 months (As the agent tried to claim) I didn’t ask for it, and now I have to cancel in 6 months and go through the hassle of dealing with incompetent billing agents.
3. I was promised that the overcharge of $59.95 would be refunded, and am now told it will not be.
4. I tried to call and resolve this and was met with incompetence and was disconnected three different times. I never once yelled or raised my voice to any of the agents, but I suspect that rather than connect me to a supervisor, or spend the extra time needed to resolve my situation, each one chose to hang up on me. Either that or all three were extremely incompetent with the phone system.
Unfortunately my in-laws (And myself) are now stuck with dish network for the next few months, until our contracts expire. However I assure you in the meantime I will be considering any other options for the future, - rather than dish network.
More Dish Network Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] Dish Network - false advertising, wrong billing, poor customer service 
- Dish Network - as a former employee let me tell you 
- Dish Network - dish network receiver equipment scam!!! 
- Infinity Dish - infinity dish scam 
- [Resolved] Dish Network - dish network pay per view fraudulent charges 
- Dish Network Driver - driving skills
- Dish Network / Dish.com - customer loyalty
- Dish Network / Dish.com - tv channels taken away all the time only ones we watch
- Dish Network / Dish.com - new service installation
- Dish Network / Dish.com - poor service and tech support