Discovery Health Medical Aid / emergency room payment

Johannesburg South Africa, South Africa Review updated:

Today my wife was admitted to the emergency room at Emfuleni mediclinic after she accidentally inhaled chlorine vapours. Everything went well at the hospital and she was treated and discharged a few hours later. HOWEVER at discharge stage I was informed by the hospital that Discovery is not paying for the ER room doctor and services, BECAUSE my savings are depleted... Since when are emergency cases payed from a members savings account?? Why am I paying R8600 a month for?? I am extremely unhappy, because as if we did not go through enough trauma already after wat happened to her... now we have to pay the hospital on top of that!! It is as if our overpriced medical aids are looking at more and more excuses not to pay for medical treatment!! Again I am extremely disgusted by Discovery!!!

Eg
Nov 28, 2018

Comments

Dec 05, 2018

The exact same happened to us at UNITAS Hospital in Centurion.
    They are like Hawks and literally charged behind me when we were on our way out of the ER to settle the bill which was R989.00.
    Does one have to "shop around" for a decent Service Provider before considering going to the ER?