Discover Card / balance transfer

1 CA, United States

On March 13, I responded to a mailed offer from Discover to open a card by requesting a balance transfer. As of May 22, that request has still not happened – despite numerous calls to the customer service center and e-mails.

At each instance that I have spoken with a Discover representative, I have been told that the issue is “in process” and to give it another 4-5 days. Finally on, May 6 I was sent an e-mail from Discover saying that the matter had been resolved and that Capital One had received the balance transfer. Capital One shows no such record, and is of course still billing me. Given that this matter has been going on for over two months (rather than the “up to two weeks” time period advertised on your website), I have to assume that I am being lied to.

I had no idea that Discover had such a terrible track record. I guess it pays to do a little research before accepting a credit card offer!

I am requesting a release from my balance transfer request - both with customer service and by writing to the corporate headquarters:

Carlos Minetti
Executive Vice President, Cardmember Services and Consumer Banking
2500 Lake Cook Road
Riverwoods, IL 60015

Harit Talwar
Executive Vice President, Card Programs and Chief Marketing Officer
2500 Lake Cook Road
Riverwoods, IL 60015

The lesson learned here is to NEVER do business with Discover Card. They flat out lie to you.

Lu