Devry University Online / terrible experience

1 Portland, OR, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-496-9050

Before enrolling I was very concerned about my aid covering every expense. I was told it would cover my costs and after five weeks of begging for them to help me and explain the process to me. I found myself struggling with a bill and I have no idea what I am even paying for. I also was told they would block my classes if I did not call them. Why bother to call because they do not care about my finances. I live on a very tight budget of $792 a month and there is no way I cannot afford their expenses. I expressed my concerns way before I decided to enroll.

Now I am in a huge bind. I have my rent, food, utilities, and medical expenses and have no means to pay them. They received three loans and that was not enough according to them. They worked hard to mislead me and now they do not care about my concerns. I have begged for weeks for help but there is no help. They also threatened to stop my classes if I did not call them. I paid dearly for these classes and they have been paid all but the balance I owe them. I have never paid any expense at any other school and now they charged me for god knows what.

I could not even get them to explain to me what I was paying for and how much.

It is not a good school and they do not care about the students.

They are interested in enrollment and nothing else.

Ja

Comments

• Re
      30th of Jul, 2009

2 things bother me here, Janice.

The finance people called you and told you to call them back so they could help you and you assumed that they were not going to help so you simply didn't call?

Secondly, If DeVry was interested in only enrollement, why not waive the 50 dollar application fee that other online schools (Phoenix, Everest, Kaplan) do? If they are just looking for fresh bodies and signatures, why did they risk you not having 50 dollars?

You are the reason that America is in debt. It isn't that you don't care, its that you would rather spend your energy complaining than paying your debts.

You dont deserve to have a degree.

• Ec
      9th of Sep, 2010

all of these online schools are jokes for people that don't know the difference between a college and a pile of [censor]. America is a [censor] place to live because we don't have free education. If the costs of universities were waved and everyone that wanted a degree could get one then the work force would be so much smarter and more effective at their jobs. The single bill that created the US government the greatest revenue in the last hundred years was the G.I. bill that promised free college tuition for those who served in the military. After thirty years of that bill being in place, America had so many more educated professionals than it did before it was passed that it would have been impossible to be a world superpower without it.
    Don't blame the redheaded step children of this dilemma like Devry and ITT, their terrible but America made it so that there had to be terrible schools like them because the costs of institutions have risen dramatically.

Evan