Denny's Restaurant / failure to reply to complaint

1 Store 6923Bartow, FL, United States Review updated:

Here is a letter I sent to both the store manager and submitted via the Denny's main website.

No response whatsoever. Nothing, nada, zip...

I guess they just don't care about one persons business.

Jason Fulton DM
Store 6923-RREMC
Bartow, Fl.

I had returned from an extended overseas business trip yesterday. Unable to sleep at 4am, I decided to go to the Denny’s in Bartow, Fl. for breakfast, a cup of coffee, and spend a little time to catch up with the local newspaper.

I arrived shortly after 4am. There was a group of about six folks in their early 20’s seated next to the entrance. The gentleman that seated me, (server 00374/Curtis) placed me one table away from the group. There were two other adults my age, mid 50’s, two tables away. There were no other patrons at this time.

Curtis immediately took my order and went to the kitchen. It took me about seven seconds to realize I didn’t need to be seated next to this group who was obviously intoxicated. The language encompassed all the commonly recognized reproductive organs, the kicking of others ###, and fashion comments concerning the attire of one young female person who was seated in the group. (I believe her first name was ‘###’ and/or ‘dumb cuxx’)

The server found me at my newly self-seated location opposite of the crowd, who was still quite loud. The server apologized for the crowd being loud. I told him I don’t mind them being loud and having fun, it was just some very inappropriate breakfast conversation that I needed to get away from.

My meal had arrived, and so had two new patrons, gentlemen in their 30’s. They immediately recognized the obnoxious group and self seated on the opposite side of the restaurant. Four other men had also arrived two minutes later, same age group. They appeared to be stopping for breakfast before a Sunday morning fishing event. They too immediately recognized the intoxicated group, ignored the directions of the waiter, and self-seated on the opposite side of the restaurant.

The breakfast was too disturbing to be enjoyed. (Check # 4112 Tbl# 21 G: 1 04/05/09 4:34AM) I was unable to read the paper while I cringed at the loud outbursts of foul language. One member of your service staff, a young lady with brunette hair, (name unknown) was more than polite and pleasant to the group. She routinely engaged them verbally and was quite aware of their behavior.

My problem is this:

You can not have it both ways with your customers. You will cater either to the drunks, or to the reasonable adults. The couple in front of me left early. As they departed, the waiter dropped my bill on my table. I was never offered a coffee refill, which was okay. I had no intention of staying any longer as the atmosphere was simply too uncomfortable. The service staff was aware of the social conflict. The newly arrived men had mentioned it to the staff as well.

Your staff had decided to continue service to the rude intoxicated group. It was a choice on behalf of your restaurant. It would appear that your place of business places value on this class of service and patronage. My patronage is obviously of lesser value, and not sought after as evidenced by these decisions.

To the best of my knowledge, refusing service to rude, obnoxious, and vulgar drunks, is not actionable within the confines of any discrimination definitions for restaurant service.

It is therefore, your choice.

Whereas I, the customer, also have a choice.

Regards,

Larry Annen
Address and ph # deleted

Comments

• Br
      5th of Jun, 2009

wow, who would have ever thought that a bunch of drunks would be at denny's at 4am?

• Ti
      13th of Jul, 2009

True, Bretsky, but it still would have to be annoying and that kind of behavior isn't necessary.

• Ju
      14th of Jul, 2009

Hmmm, would I rather lose one customer or six???

• Ro
      13th of Mar, 2010

I am a dennys late night server. I work in Orlando an# been doing late night for em two years. You have to understand for late night that's where we make our Money on late night. It's because of those drunks is what keeps it open 24 hrs. And its better for them to be here sobering up then on the road. But if dennys kicked em out for being drunk then there would be. No money. Yea they should watch there mouth though I do agree

12th of Jan, 2011

I have been going to the same Dennys in El Paso, TX, on corner of Montwood and George Dieter for many years. In all my years, I have never seen so much bickering, backstabbing, bias, nepotism, and unfriendly remarks in all this time. It gets to the point where even the customers as I that have been going there are not received friendly, and are given unfriendly treatment in some type of response. I must say that still, there are a very small handfull that still present friendly and professional service for the rest...

• Wi
      2nd of Feb, 2011

I want personally thank the El Paso, Texas Dennys Restaurant located at Montwo0d and George Dieter. Them opening during the frigid storm and power outage was most spectacular; with greatest service possible. Norma (Manaager) along with Jesus (Great), Linda (Super), and all together, provided the best service under the condition. They were overwhelmed with large numbers coming in to get just a hot cup of coffee, and/or foods. I only know, they will receive some complaints. a word of gratitude and thanks should also be received by their District Manager. Great job everyone.

• Be
      1st of Feb, 2012

I went to Denny's in Largo, fl after entering we were seated and ordered our food.After taking our order the waitress laid down the check before bringing our food.We paid even through they haven't brought our food yet since she laid it down.After we paid the service stopped she never refilled our drinks and only came back one time to being the food she laid it down and began walking away .We asked for more drinks which she never brought .We ate are our food and she never came back to the table .We tried to find her but had no idea where she went and the other waitress weren't helping either as they irgoned us when we tried to talk them .Awful Service .We talked to the manger who just said o ok and irgoned us .Dont eat at Denny's it's awful.