Dell Xps 200 Desktop / I'll think twice about another dell in the future!

I purchased my Dell XPS 200 Desktop about 6 months ago. Recently, I went on vacation for two weeks. The computer was not used at all during that time. When I returned, it would not boot up and gave me an error message that a Windows file was corrupt.

Dell support sent me the O/S disk - which did NOT come with the computer - something I was a bit disturbed about.

After waiting to receive the disk, support was unable to fix the problem. The ghost, original setting also did not work. And, I had to reformat the entire drive. I lost data and spent hours on the phone with them and loading everything again.

That was only a week ago from today.

Well, right now, the same computer is overheating. A strange smell comes out of it and then it shuts down. I contacted support and they will be sending a tech some time next week to check the fans and motherboard.

Needless to say, I am disappointed by Dell. Not by the service. But by the product. XPS is their top of the line? And in 6 months I've had two major problems already?

I know that I'll think twice about another Dell in the future.

Dell is getting too big - and is making their computers cheaply now. And the growing amount of complaints all over the media and the Internet confirm that fact.

Oh yeah and one more thing: Dell is an American company. I have nothing against anybody or foreigners at all. But why is it that when I contact Tech Support, I talk to somebody in India?

Keep our jobs here for crying out loud. We certainly need them.

A  9th of Aug, 2008 by
I agree about the dell quality. We have to talk to the people in India because they are smarter than us when it comes to computer. The only problem is the accents but we can't do anything babout it.
A  5th of Nov, 2008 by
I had the same problem with the XPS 200 and after running the disk defragger in System Tools, it has been 2-3 days and the shut-downs have stopped...keeping my fingers crossed...
N  7th of Nov, 2008 by
I must say, i bought my XPS200 from dell 3 years ago. From the day i got it, i was disturbed...it ran very hot..1 FAN..and no DISKS. Well Until about 2 months ago, it held ground...then one day.. i was done with. So i bought a new one dell, the entire computer was DOA. finally after a a week with dell..they took it back...IM done with dell..WHen i can talk to an american..and they will support their products better, i may buy a new one..until then..im going custom.
N  20th of Dec, 2011 by
i have a dell xps 200 that would shut down after about 3 to 5 min. i removed the side cover and saw that the power supply fan had stopped spinning. i removed the power supply and took the fan out and replaced it with a new one and it runs great. windows 7 pro / 2.5 gb ram. yes it does run hoter than larger desktops. i removed the expansion slot blank cover in the front and mine now runs cooler and quiter than ever. oh by the way the power supply fan only cost $12.00 and took 1 hour to replace. also dusted mine out with air hose. just some advice and my own experience.

Dell Logo Dell