Dell Computers / dell's approach to customer service is abominable!

I’m a Mac user and a confirmed one at that. But my “significant other” has always been a PC lover. So a few years ago when her desktop went up, I bought her a Dell Dimension 2200 and she’s been very happy with it.

For the holidays this past year, I bought her another Dell—this time a laptop (Inspiron B130). And after a mere few months, Dell has done what I haven’t been able to do in over 6 years: they made my significant other a Mac person.

Out of the box, the B130 wouldn’t load correctly, flashing an esoteric Windows error message. A call to Dell Customer Support IN NEW DEHLI, INDIA brought this response, “You did not wish to purchase software support so there’s nothing we can do.”

We told them that the computer was “non-functional” on initial startup, but that didn’t make a difference. Dell Customer Service was adamant that no matter what this was a software problem and software problem resolution costs $100 an incident if you didn’t buy the software support.

I intend to take this issue straight up the Dell management line to Michael Dell because it’s obvious that trying to get it resolved through normal customer service avenues is a waste of time.

We also discovered that the internal clock was wrong half the time. Dell sent us a detailed troubleshooting plan since there are several clocks in the computer and you have to figure out which one is haywire. So I guess that Dell’s idea of in-warranty hardware support means that the customer has to do the troubleshooting. We did it and duly reported back to Dell who sent us: 1. The wrong battery and 2. An invoice for the wrong battery. Another hour plus call to NEW DEHLI CUSTOMER SUPPORT resulted in an argument about whether it was or wasn’t the wrong battery. The battery on the main board has two wires and a tiny connector but the battery NEW DEHLI CUSTOMER SUPPORT sent didn’t have the wires/connector. After an hour on the phone, NEW DEHLI CUSTOMER SUPPORT informed us that we were right and that they would send out a replacement battery. Maybe this one will have the two wires and the connector.

Dell’s approach to customer service is abominable! A company that I had no reservations about buying from again managed to alienate me to the point where they won’t see another dime of my money. But, hey at least they did what I couldn’t do: they made my VSO a Mac person.

Rick
Sparks, MD

Ri

Comments

Lu
  22nd of Mar, 2007

To Whom It May Concern,

This is a personal Complaint and wanted to share this letter with all on your site regarding my letter to Mr. M. Bell and Dell Financial Services:

Dell Inc.
Attention: Michael Dell
One Dell Way
Round Rock, TX 78682

To Mr. Michael Dell, CEO & Chairman of the Board:

I had an incident that happened in late December 2006 and I wanted to share it in the form of a letter because calling and speaking with your representatives is not working.

In late December 2006 I needed more ink for my Dell Photo AIO Printer 922. So, I called and ordered. I waited for what seemed like weeks, so I decided to call customer services to see what happened to my ink. The customer service representative (csr) looked up my order number and stated that my order had been shipped and delivered to my location. I explained to her that that may be true, however I never received it. She asked me if I wanted to place another order free of charge and I told her yes. After that conversation I waited for days for my second shipment of ink and still nothing. I received a statement days after that with a charge of the ink, ($85.76 to be exact). I called again and I think this day I was transferred to about four (csr), I was on the phone for about 54 minutes. One of the (csr) had apologized and asked me if I wanted to reorder. At that point I was really fed up so I told her no. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed. This situation at that point had nothing to do with the ink I had previously ordered. It had to do with how customers are handled. It’s not to say that I received bad customer service, all of your (csr) were all very kind. However, there is certainly a language barrier! After all this, they asked for my e-mail address so that they could email me what had just taken place. As you can see from the copies I made, who they greeted in the e-mail was not me, even though they sent it to me. (I have attached for your review.)

After about a month went by there was still nothing, not even an invoice. Then I called and asked what my amount due would be for the month and to send me another copy of my statement because I had not received it. The lady at the other end had told me that from her office, she could not send me another statement and that I would need to be transferred yet again to another department to request a duplicate of my statement that you all had not sent. Finally, reaching my destination after many minutes, the second csr told me that a ‘reprint’ would be sent out, but that it would take another billing cycle. I was frustrated to my wits end and told her whatever, just send it so that I can pay my monthly bill!

After weeks, I received a phone call from collections on an early Saturday morning while I was asleep. I told her that I would call back, but she rudely told me if I could just make a payment the situation would be managed. By this time I was widely awaken, angry and explained to her what had taken place in December 2006 about the ink. She asked me to verify my name, address and ss# and I told her she should, since she called me and that there was some kind of miscommunication and that I sent in a $40 payment. She did not budge and told me I needed to make another $70 payment to catch up on the $110 late payment. I told her I disagreed and that I am not sure why there is a late payment there. From that conversation she had contacted a credit bureau regarding my ‘lateness of two months’ after months of making payments.

It’s a shame that as big as the Dell Corporation is that each department has no idea of what’s going on with your customers. Each department from what I had been told has different software systems. When I mentioned my incident to your collections (csr) she said she didn’t know what I was talking about! I am not stating all of this to act like I’m perfect or that I’m never late. However, when I am late I am not afraid to call your customer service department to work something out. In the past they kindly taken off the late fees and accepted my payment. I also want to mention that I am very organized and keep my invoices stapled to the money order receipt that I send in. This is in case there is an issue, there is always documentation.

What I think happened only two months ago was that one of your (csr) mixed my information up with another customer. I clearly remember in one of my conversation with the (csr) that she couldn’t find my phone number, order number and to verify all of my personal information.

I’m not quite sure how I want this situation handled. One thing that would be nice is if the collections department would stop calling my home. I finally got my statement after the reprint and I know what my obligations are to Dell. I know how to call if I have any concerns or comments. After I get my laptop paid off, I will never do business with Dell again. Actually I can’t do business with you all since I was ‘late two months in a row & my credit privileges have been suspended’. I’m sure that it doesn’t matter to you all about my letter; you might just think ‘it’s just another disgruntled customer having a bad day’. Well, I’m actually having a fabulous day and this is only my opinion, to address my concerns. I hope that you have a department of quality control and that my letter is sent there and looked at. I’m sure my situation is one of many and that it gets taken seriously.

Thanks for your time in this matter,

Lu Brooks

Cc: Michael Dell – CEO & Chairman of the Board
Dell Financial Services, Carol Stream, IL and Austin, TX locations

Bi
  22nd of Oct, 2008

It all started about 6 months ago. Or so I was informed by Russ in the “executive escalation department”. My Dell XPS laptop developed a bad mother board. Tech support came out and replaced it.

Two more mother boards had to be replaced. Then the processor and then it had to be shipped back to the factory. The factory said it needed a new hard drive.

The box to ship was suppose to be there the next day. It came two weeks later.

New hard drive and fresh out of the box from the factory and the hard drive is full (or almost full).

This laptop is for my son while he is in college. This all started when he said he was having performance issues with the computer and that it still wasn’t working like it did when we bought it.

I told him to call tech support. Tech support told him he would have to restore the computer to the factory settings, thus wiping, again, all of his data. They said because he needed to update the BIOS.

I stepped in. I just wanted to know when they (Dell) draw the line on repairs and go to the replace option. I figured we were either there or close to it.

I called tech support and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said I needed to talk to these other people, but that she didn’t have the ability/authority to make that call. Okay, I understand.

She hung up on me. I don’t believe that she did it on purpose, but the results remain the same. I called back. I spoke to yet another person and again explained the situation. I learned a few things from her. You don’t have to restore the computer to update the BIOS (I don’t know either way, that is not my area of expertise). Then she said that my call ticket had already been escalated and that someone else would be calling me. I was told this was by appointment only.

She checked on her computer and gave the available dates and times. I picked October 22 at 9am.

I received no telephone call. At 9:45am I called. I do have a job and can’t always answer my personal telephone I was then informed by the guy who answered the phone that the executive escalation department would call me back within 24 to 48 hours. I did explain to him what I was told.

I finally got a call from Russ. First off Russ really likes to interrupt the customer before they can finish their side of the story. I didn’t want to talk to them and make demands. I just wanted to know when they draw the line.

This is when I was told 3 major parts in 30 days and they will “consider” an exchange.

He then told me we had not had any issues in the last 30 days. Hilarious. I guess that makes everything okay! “But what about the 3 bad mother boards? I was informed that they went bad for different reasons. Okay, I lost it. I told him if I had a transmission that went bad three times I’d get a new car!

Basically, he made me feel like there was nothing wrong with this particular computer other than some minor adjustments. I told him I was not too happy about my son having to lose all his data yet again.

I really have no idea how much data he has stored on his laptop for college, it’s the lose of time and the frustration that seems to make no difference to Dell.

I really love the corporate slogan about doing whatever is necessary to make a difference. You have!

I’ve had three personal visits from tech support and shipped the thing off once. I got hung up on and I forget how many telephone calls and how many times I was transferred around only to be told that the last person I spoke didn’t know Adam.

So, in the end we’re going to put some more lipstick on this pig and in the future just look to buy something else. I like the new HP touch screen we just got. Never again and that comes from a house with three desktops and three laptops.

Sh
  16th of Feb, 2009

Dell is simply the worst!! I have a daughter in university going through the exact same nightmare (in her case it was two failed hard drives in less than six months) and Dell does not care at all!!

De
  14th of Jan, 2013

I bought my daughter a Dell laptop last year for her birthday. We've had trouble with it since the day it arrived. When we called to complain, they hooked us up with IYogi because Dell doesn't give a ###. We paid IYogi over $200 TWICE and after a few days, the computer freezes or does something else weird.
It seems like you just keep paying and paying for these computers because you have to buy tech support and anti-virus software. What a bunch of BULL!
With all the money we've spent on this piece of crap, I could have bought her a good laptop like a Macintosh.
Dell computers are just about the lousiest computers on earth and their customer service is horrible. Dell computers - do everyone a favor and just go out of business!

So DON'T BUY DELL COMPUTERS, YOU WILL FOREVER REGRET IT! Spend the extra money to get a Mac. You'll be so glad you did.