Dell Computer / misrepresentation of hardware required

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

I contacted Dell in Septmember to purchase more memory for my Dimension 8200 desktop computer. They told me that I needed to buy either ONE 258MB or 512MB Axiom Memory Card. I had to think about it for a few days since this was a lot of money and a few days later ordered it on line. I followed the online route to determine that I needed to purchase either the 258MB or 512MB card. I decided to purchase the 512MB card and the total cost came to $350. At the time I didn't notice embedded in the fine print is a 21 day return policy. Long story short, it's now February and I decided to finally install it (I'm not a computer expert) but opened my manual and was surprised to see that it states memory cards must be installed in pairs. I immediately called Dell and tech support told me that I can install just one. After 3 hours of being on the phone with multiple Dell tech reps finally the last one told me that I needed to install the memory in pairs and would I like to buy another card. I said "no" Dell made the sale stating that only one would be required. He said that he would transfer me to customer service for a refund. When I got to customer service they told me, sorry the 21 days is up. I explained to them that there was total misrepresentation of the product that was sold and all that they kept repeating to me is that is why they have a 21 day return policy. Unbelievable! They acknowledged that the product that was sold to me cannot be used unless I buy two of them (neither the sales rep in September or their website indicates this...both the sales rep said I needed one of them and even the website states 1x) but it doesn't matter...that's what the 21 days are for. This company is misrepresenting to customers.

Comments

• De
      17th of Feb, 2009

I understand exactely what you went through. We had the same problem, they are hired Indian liars (customer service is in India) and can't get anything out of them. We still have the wrong computer part they sent us and they will not even refund our money.