Cub Cadet / Mower drive belt keeps throwing off

I bought a Cub Cadet LT 1045 in September of 2006. The mower blade drive belt started throwing off in the spring of 2007. So far, I have 40 hours on this mower, it has been in the shop twice, the first time for the blade drive belt, the transmission pedal fell down onto the foot rest, and the parking brake would not engage. I got the mower back after about a month, this in August of 2997, the shop did not put the right belt on and the blade drive belt kept flying off, the vibration in the blade deck was still there, and the4 parking brake still would not engage. They did fix the transmission pedal, and told me that to keep it from happening again, I needed to keep the mower dry. I took the mower back to Home Depot where I bought it, and they sent it to another shop, this one in Lakeland Florida. When I got the mower back, I got touse it two times before the mowing season eneded. The mowing season has started again in earnest, and now the blade drive belt still flies off, and now once that happens the electric PTO will not engage again until the next day. I have a little under an acre to mow. The mower now has 40 hours on it, and I have sent emails to Cub Cadet, and never heard anything back from them. To be honest here, if you want to have a mower that you have to put in the sdhop every time you turn around, and is entirely undependable, then a Cub Cadet is the mower for you, however, if you want something solid and dependable, you really should consider any other brand because a Cub Cadet just is not going to work for you.

John Amstutz,
Plant City, Florida

Comments

• Ke
      7th of Apr, 2015

Glad you found a solution!!

I am pretty sure there are two decks offered on the 1045, a one-pulley and a two-pulley deck. Mine is the two idler model, and I've wondered for years about the LEFT pulley that seems too low and at an angle. I have been using the shorter belt because it is more readily available (and bypassing the left idler). This makes no difference: I need a new belt every year anyway.

How do I "lower" the center (right) idler pulley 3/8th of an inch? Pull it, actually CUT the idler arm and re-weld it?

Could I instead I pull it off and bend it twice: once to lower the pulley, and then realign the pulley in the correct plane by bending the idler arm back into horizontal right up by the pulley? (Sorry, that's the best I could explain it.)

• Do
      7th of Apr, 2015

Here's a photo of the fix I used. Just remove the outer idler pulley bracket, take it to a shop and have them cut it where shown and re-weld so the outer pulley is 3/8" lower. You can see in the photo how the belt is better aligned. My LT1045 has never thrown a belt.

• Tg
      8th of Apr, 2015

i am aswell having the same issue and am working on the deck constantly ... Dough22 your pic did not upload ?

8th of Apr, 2015

I've also found YouTube videos that suggest fixes, none of them simple.

• Sm
      26th of Apr, 2015

Here is a good video on how to fix this issue. I followed his placement of the pulley arms but relocated my springs where they were pulling more directly against the belt tension. All you really need for this is some 3/8 bolts, nuts and washers and a drill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd4nYovcnvY
    Where you mount the bolts to hold the springs make sure they have plenty of tension once the belt is on the mower.

26th of Apr, 2015

And I did the same, added much more tension to the idler arm by moving the spring attachment so that it adds tension and pulls more directly on the idler arm. No bolts, no drilling, I just attached it to a brace on the deck. If it seems to be a fix, I'll post a photo next time I drop the mower deck.

• Je
      9th of May, 2015

In 2007 purchased, from Home Depot in Denham Springs, LA, a Cub Cadet i52 Zero Turn Radius Mower, which had a steering wheel - which was a "Lemon" and only made one year. I purchased an extended warranty from Home Depot.. I think the total price with the extended warranty was almost $5000... I had nothing but trouble with the mower from the first time I mowed my 1.5 acres..., the transmission would lockup sometimes and the mower would not move, when I made a turn around a tree on an incline the mower would not move. A few days after purchasing the mower, I bought the mower back to Home Depot in Denham Springs, LA, They said they would have to charge me $100 for the mower to be picked up for repair... Or I could deliver the mower myself to "Roy's Fixit Shop" in Prairieville, LA - which was 30 miles from my house. I drove to "Roy's Fixit Shop" - which was a "Dump" with about 200 "dead mowers" on his property, his shop's roof was damaged from hurricane damage and not usable. He was very over weight and had to use a walker to walk... I had to get the Model and Serial Number of the mower, because he could not bend down. I was told he would have to order two transmissions for the mower and would call me when they came in... I didn't ever take the mower off my trailer. About 4 weeks later I had to call him and was told the transmissions were in and he was hiring a mechanic to work on the mowers, next week and I could bring the mower to his shop... which I did... About a month later I hadn't heard from him, so I called him and he told me the mechanic would not be able to start working for another month... I told him I needed the mower now and drove back to his "shop" and picked up the mower... I had several conversations with him over the next few months and he always had the excuse about waiting to hire a mechanic... I finally gave up on "Roy's Fixit Shop" and went back to Home Depot... they had me contact another Shop "Alquip" in Hammond, LA... I called them and they picked up the mower and a year old power generator which I also bought from home depot in Denham Springs, LA, which I also had purchased an extended warranty from Home Depot for the generator. When Alquip picked up the Mower and Generator... I gave them a list of problems... the lawn mower transmission issues and my electric starter would not work at times and I had the drive belt jump off and was able to put it back on, but it looks like the pulley is damaged... A month later I got a call from Alquip and was told they would have to charge me $200 for a new starter on the mower, because it had water damage - and the generator had a corrosive carburetor from using gas that had water in it and would cost me $250 to replace the carburetor and clean my fuel tank... I disputed this with calls and emails to Home Depot and Alquip main office... the starter issue was resolved but I still had to pay for the generator... I told everyone that I use the same gas in all my equipment and never had a problem with water in my gas on the mower, two weed blowers, a gas trimmer, a gas edger, a gas vacuum trailer for the mower and a gas chainsaw... When I got the mower back and used it the transmission was still locking up as before.., I asked about the drive belt and pulley and was told it was okay... I called Alquip back and was told there was not problem with the transmission... I called Home Depot and Alquip main office and Alquip told me that they would have to charge me $400 if they could not find a problem wit the transmission and drive belt... I told them to go S***W themselves... I put up with the transmission issues and the drive belt and the blade belt coming off about ever time I used the mower until May 2013. I had back surgery in Apr 2013 and could not work on the mower or put it on my trailer. I called thelocal mower shop in Watson La - Watson Lawn and Care and had to pay $50 for them to pickup and deliver the mower. The would "repair" the mower; drive belt coming off and replaced the mower 3 blades, belt, springs and Pulleys and was charge over a period of time of the picking up the mower for repairs about 6 times... $1500... The owner of Watson Lawn and Care finally told me the Mower was a "Lemon" and the can not repair it... He suggested I write a letter to Cub Cadet and send them all the information... I finally received a call from Cub Cadet Customer service and was told the had made a deal with Watson Lawn and Care and they were going to give me a RZT - L42... BUT it would not have a warranty since I had the "Lemon" Cub Cadet I52 for several years... I argued that they should warranty the mower since I had purchased an Extended Warranty from Home Depot at the cost of $1200 and the mower was never repaired and had paid Watson Lawn and Care over $1500, to "repair" the mower, even though the Home Depot Extended Warranty was still covered on the mower but Alquip could not repair the mower also... In the END... I was REFUSED a Warranty for the Cub Cadet RZT - L42, from Cub Cadet and Watson Lawn and Care... which by the way had 10 Hours on the mower when I received it "NEW" from Watson Lawn and Care... The mower DID Not come with the accessories I needed that the Cub Cadet i52 had... Mulching Kit, Headlights, 12V "Electrical Outlet", towing hitch, and is only 42" wide and 2 cutting Blades, where the i52 was 52" wide with 3 cutting blades... I contacted Cub Cadet and was told I would have to purchase ALL the Accessories and they could not upgrade the mower to a wider 3 blade 52" - I also told the Rep that when both bars were pushed forward at full speed, the mover drifted to the right... I paid about $150 for; mulching kit and trailer hitch.I could not find any headlights and was told by the Cub Cadet Rep, that she would have to research to find out about the headlights and the 12V accessory plug ... I was NEVER contacted again from Cub Cadet, but I found a 12V alligator clip plug at Auto Zone... In Dec of 2014, while cutting my yard, the mower drive belt coming off and I tried to get to the belt and slip it back on the pulley, but I could not... I delivered the mower to Watson Lawn and Care... and a few days later was called and told the mower was repaired... they had to replace the drive belt and the right front tire, which had a tear... I was told either a branch or acorn got hung up in the mower drive belt and damaged the belt and caused it to come off the pulley... Watson Lawn and Care... charged me $150... In March, 2015 the "FIRST TIME the MOVER WAS USED" after being repaired in Dec of 2014... after about 10 minutes of cutting my yard, the mower drive belt coming off AGAIN... NOTE: My wife and I spent 6 hours picking up tree limbs, stems and raking leaves and acorns... BEFORE CUTTING the Yard... I AGAIN delivered the mower to Watson Lawn and Care... and a few days later was called and told the mower was repaired... they had to replace the drive belt... I was told AGAIN that either a branch or acorn got hung up in the mower drive belt and damaged the belt and caused it to come off the pulley... I TOLD THEM that My wife and I spent 6 hours picking up tree limbs, stems and raking leaves and acorns... BEFORE CUTTING the Yard...I was told that did not matter... Watson Lawn and Care... charged me ANOTHER $150... I told Watson Lawn and Care... that the Cub Cadet RZT - L42 was ANOTHER Lemon, LIKE THE Cub Cadet i52 Zero WAS. The man at Watson Lawn and Care told me; NO IT IS NOT A LEMON... this happens to ALL Riding Lawn Mowers, No matter what Brand... I told him I COULD NOT AFFORD TO PAY Watson Lawn and Care... $150 to replace the RZT - L42 Cub Cadet mower drive belt, if it gets damaged by a twig or acorn EVERY TIME I USE THE MOWER AND the belt GETS DAMAGED and CAUSES THE BELT to come off the pulley... IT WOULD BE CHEEPER AND A LOT LESS WORK TO HIRE A YARD KEEPER!!!... THAT TO PAY Watson Lawn and Care $150 EACH TIME I NEED TO CUT MY YARD...!!! I told them I was going to write Cub Cadet AGAIN and COMPLAIN about the LEMON... Cub Cadet RZT - L42... and he SMIRKED and said go AHEAD.. BUT YOU WILL BE TALKING TO DEAFT EARS... SINCE THE DID YOU A FAVOR AND REPLACE YOUR OLD LEMON i52 ZERO WITH A NEW Cub Cadet RZT - L42... AND I TOLD HIM... I PAID HOME DEPOT $5000 FOR THE NEW Cub Cadet i52 ZERO, SEVERAL TRIPS TO "Roy's Fixit Shop" in Prairieville, LA - which was 30 miles from my house, had Aquip work on it and tried to screw me on a new started and Never fixed the Transmission, Drive Belt and Blade Belt issues... PLUS I HAVE PAID Watson Lawn and Care ABOUT $1500, to "repair" the Cub Cadet i52 ZERO mower, even though the Home Depot Extended Warranty was still covered on the mower but Alquip could not repair the mower also... The NEW Cub Cadet RZT - L42, which had 10 hours on it when I received it... Probably had been used and returned by a disgruntled customer... And the Cub Cadet RZT - L42 mower DID Not come with the accessories I needed that the Cub Cadet i52 had... Mulching Kit, Headlights, 12V "Electrical Outlet", towing hitch, and is only 42" wide and 2 cutting Blades, where the i52 was 52" wide with 3 cutting blades...That I HAD to contact Cub Cadet and was told I would have to purchase ALL the Accessories and they could not upgrade the mower to a wider 3 blade 52"... I paid about $150 for; mulching kit and trailer hitch. I could not find any headlights and was told by the Cub Cadet Rep, that she would have to research to find out about the headlights and the 12V accessory plug ... I was NEVER contacted again from Cub Cadet, but I found a 12V alligator clip plug at Auto Zone...AND Watson Lawn and Care OR CUB CADET WOULD NOT GIVE ME A WARRANTY, WHICH ACCORDING TO THE CUB CADET WEB SITE, Cub Cadet RZT - L42 HAS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY... SO THE "FREE" Cub Cadet RZT - L42 IS NOT A GREAT DEAL... SO FAR IT HAS COST ME ALMOST $500 IN TRYING TO GET ALL THE ACCESSORIES MY OLD CUB CADET i52 HAD AND REPAIRS TO THE "NEW" Cub Cadet RZT - L42 MOWER...NOT CONSIDER HAVING TO DELIVER, PICKUP THE MOWER AND ALL THE STRESS OF THE "NEW" Cub Cadet RZT - L42 MOWER BREAKING DOWN ALL THE TIME...

• Gr
      20th of Jun, 2016

I am having problems similar to all of those described above. I purchased a Cub Cadet LTX1054 from Tractor Supply four years ago. The first summer, the deck belt kept coming off. After three belts the first summer, the deck belt held up through the next summer. Last summer, 3rd year, drive belt tore up at the beginning of summer. I replaced it and it lasted the summer. First use this summer, the drive belt ripped up. I replaced it once with the specified drive belt purchased from Cub Cadet. I drove it about 500 feet and it tore up. I replaced that belt with a Husky Kevlar Belt. That belt just tore up, after two turns around a 1 acre site.

• Ya
      9th of Sep, 2016

Bought my LTX two years ago. Throttle was defective and replaced second month. Used to mow 2 1/2 acres weekly with no problems other than front tire losing air weekly. However, this year, the throttle problem reoccurred but Cub Cadet sent me one free and I installed it. My drive belt shredded and smoked so I installed a new one. Mowed about 600 feet and another drive belt shredded and smoked. Give up-and after reading these posts, have decided to purchase a different brand. Not enough time and too much yard to put up with all this noise. Will fix, if possible, and sell. No more!

• Mu
      18th of Dec, 2016

I thought that maybe I was alone with this problem. I have an LT1040 I bought in 2007. I'm lucky if I can get 4 hours before I bust the belt.

• Ji
      10th of Feb, 2017

I have two Cub Cadet 6032 diesel zero turn mowers. I like the mowers except for one problem. Both of the mowers have had the pump drive belts 4 times in less than 140 hours run time. I took the mowers to the local dealer and showed them what was causing the problem. They fixed the belts but didn't address the cause. They keep giving me the answer that Cub Cadet factory is aware of my problem but I haven't received an answer as to the fix. The problem is the brackets that hold the drive pumps are welder on crooked from the factory which causes the belt to run crooked on the drive from the diesel engine, this causes the belt to heat then expand and flip off. It is a pain to repair and the dealer wanted to charge me the last time this happened only after an hour run time from picking the mower from the dealer, which said that they had fixed the problem. The only way to fix the problem is to cut the pump brackets off and weld them back on straight or replace the entire frame. I guess this is too expensive for the factory to address and just maybe this is why they quit manufacturing this diesel unit. I don't use these mowers commercially although they are designed to do commercial mowing. The factory technical department was very rude and disrespectful to my complaint. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I would like to hear from you if you have. I want the factory to address this issue as these mowers cost a small fortune to purchase. I have two diesel and two M60 tanks. I have bought my last product from the local dealer and Cub Cadet if they cannot fix the problem and quit kicking the problem down the road.

• Pa
      13th of Jul, 2017

My cub cadet ltx1040 constantly the bell comes off the pulley when cutting grass. Very hard to get it on but it comes off very easy. Help I hate this mower. Would not recommend to anyone