CPRS / Certegy / I just cant imagine that this is legal!?

I will try to cut right to the chase here.....I wrote 2 checks that had insufficent funds. One was for shaws supermarket and the other was home depot. Before I even noticed that this had happened, my bank account was empty, and my statement showed several checks with the number 9999. Upon further investigation of this issue, (which took FOREVER because not even the back had a clue who this company was), I realized that they had made up their own checks with my account number on them, and taken money from my account. Since I was never informed of this by mail, phone or email, I was very upset! I understand that when you write a bad check, you have to make good on it, and pay fees, but this company didn't even give a chance to make it right, nor did they inform me of their plan to tap into my account.

Because I had no knowlege of these transactions, I didn't have the cash in the account to cover these "made up checks". My records show that they sent a total of 11 of these checks through my account, and finally when there was money in the account, they recieved their payment. But because this was done completly behind my back, I also accrued over 300 dollars worth of bank charges because I didn't have the money (or knowlege) that these check were going through my account. When I finally was able to get a hold of the CPRS or certigy or whatever they call themselves, they told me that it is completly legal for them to take money from my account without my knowledge or permission because I had wrote a check at one point.

They said that I should have read the fine print. Where this fine print is, I have no idea......I responded by saying "so if shaw's supermarket wanted to put in their fine print, that by writing a check with them, they can take my first born child, that that too is legitimate"? Bottom line: I know that when you right a bad check, you have to pay the company back, plus any fees, and I am happy to do that, but I feel that this company stole from me. It is scary that this company was able to gain access to my money without permission. Furthermore, I when I spoke to this company the other day, they told me everything was now payed up to date. I asked them for a letter stated that all accounts were current, and they would not take any more money from my account regarding these two checks. The man that I spoke to said "there is no way that we'd ever send you something like that".......I just cant imagine that this is legal!?

Va

Comments

• Vi
      5th of Jan, 2008

I've been some kind of victim of CPRS, too - I'm just now trying to find out what kind of victim I've been. They've been calling my cell phone for a month - at least their robot has asking for my "CONTROL #", which I don't have and then asking for my checking Account # and routing #. And they think I'm going to give that to them?? I have no bad debt that I know of - anywhere. Another very strange set of events - my credit card that I've had for about 6 years at a fixed 6.9% interest rate - all of a sudden - today - went to 31.49%?? And of course, it's a weekend and I can't get in touch with my bank (too late in the day) or CPRS or my credit card.

Aren't any Federal Agencies watching this store?? C'mon - we've got a company going right into our bank accounts and it's NOT the IRS and it's all okay??? ~~ V

• Ro
      14th of Apr, 2011

They ruined my credit report when i wrote a check that bounced. I have no idea how they got a hold of my social security number. They guarantee checks and work with most big name companies like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. After the check bounced they put a lien on your credit report. It cannot be legal, but they get away with it probably by making large campaign donations lol.