Cox Communications / awful experience

United States Review updated:

I've been a customer of Cox Communications for Internet service for several years. I used to have but then got rid of their tv service because it was the only way I could protest their ignoring my complaints that they stop sending me giant amounts of postal ads, which is bad for the environment as it is a big waste of paper.

So on to the current problem. The Cox email service has been down at least six times in the past two months for most of a day. Despite their denying this, I know for a fact that this has also caused lost email. They never have any explanation of what is going on, nor any idea when the service will be restored.

The crowning blow for this truly spectacular series of failures was the tech support(sic) guy telling me just now that 'after all, email is free.' Apparently Cox now has the theory that the $40 a month its customers pay suddenly does not include email.

The other major ISP in this area is Verizon FIOS, but Verizon insists on replacing the landline when they install FIOS, which means if there's a power failure you only have 4 hours of battery time for the 'regular' phone. If there's a flood (this is a low lying area), the batteries get ruined and you have no phone service.

Curses. I am nonetheless certainly going to look for alternatives. Cox really sucks. They are technically incompetent, have uninformed and snotty tech support people, and don't give a damn about their customers.
Va

Comments

Mo
  1st of Mar, 2009
Cox sent me an offer for internet services, which I accepted and they sent me a confirmation email with the price of $29.99 for 12 months. They billed me much higher. When I called to complain, they variously said the offer was only good if all offered services were ordered (not true), that it was only good for 3 months (not true), or that I was a current customer and not eligible.

I had previously requested service but had no modem so never had activated service and was not a customer, which they knew. Because they did not notify me that they were reneging on the price they had confirmed to me, they practiced a 'bait and switch'. Despite numerous calls and emails, their terrible customer service never admitted nor corrected this despicable practice.
Be
  27th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with you. By not admitting or correcting their errors it is totally despicable. What you have described is nothing more than hustling.
Ru
  6th of Apr, 2009
AVOID them at ALL costs. COX could not care less about customers or the environment. I have called them zillions asking them to cease all the paper advertisements. The most recent was a 5 X 6 poster that competes with the size of my kitchen wall. It's disgusting.

I'm sure that if I signed up with them, the first thing they would do would ask me if I wanted to go "paperless" and have my bill emailed to me to save paper and reduce my carbon footprint. Ha.
Bm
  28th of Apr, 2009
I agree, they won't stop sending this crap in the mail. I have lived at the same place for over 20 years. I have never had cox and never will. They send me advertisements several times a week. When I called them to my address off their mailing list, they said they can't. They have no way to remove me from their mailing list.

Doesn't that sound crazy. I have begun sending the stuff back as return to sender. In many cases they send stuff without a return address. Hos is that legal?
An
  7th of Jul, 2012
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Oh spare me about the saving the environment statement. I get so much advertisement junk from others just like you that is NOT form Cox, and I don't take it out on anyone. You got a lot of time on your hands if you have nothing better to do is pick on a cable company for ads they send you in the main, when many others are doing the same thing. You should be ashamed yourself.

Cox Communications Logo Cox Communications