Consumer Portfolio Services / Harrassing Calls & Ripping Off

1 PO Box 57071Irvine, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-342-9243

When I got laid off in April 08, I started to fall behind on payments, if I was one day late I was called and harrassed. I always made my payments and never let it get more then 1 month behind. I was unemployed till July 08 and single mother struggling just to make rent, utilities, daycare, food and expenses for Son on unemployment check. I still tried to make car payment but was harrassed daily and numerous times by CPS. They called family and friends and threatened them, asked them to make my payments or tried to get more information out of them but not stating who they were. In July 08 I was hired as PT employee with it becoming FT sometime in 09, so I took it because it was a little more money then unemployment but not much. I did Voluntary Repo and they said they would come get it, but continued to harass me, family, friends were now calling me at work on my work cell which I never provided that information to them. They said some pretty nasty things, belittle me and family ... still wouldn't come get car until I told them it was now uninsured, unregistered and sitting under tree and Hurricane was on the way. They threatened me in all kinds of ways from court, garnishing pay, taking assets. I always sent them extra money during Tax Refund trying to pay it down and off quicker and the amount I owed actually grew instead of decreasing. In Oct 08 I received Explanation of Calculation of Surplus or Deficiency, showing amount owed was about another 1k then what it was or should have been to my belief of what was owed after all payments made, amount sold for and stating I owed them around 2k so I looked at it as that isn't so bad when I next my Tax Refund for 08 in 09 I will call and try to settle with them, but in Nov 08 I received a letter saying that they have made several attempts to contact me which now was so FALSE not one phone call from anyone and I owed them around 5, 600. I called and tried to resolve the matter between the two letters and they claim that I do owe them 5, 600 not 2, 000. In all honestly everything they put me, my family, friends, even step daughter one time through, all the FTC rules they broke they should be paying me 5, 600 for the harassment, threats, embarassment, suffering and almost costing me my PT job!! This company should not be in business from all the research I have done on them I am not the only one who has suffered this way!!

Jn

Comments

• Ba
      29th of Sep, 2009

Well I thought I was the only person who had these types of difficulties with this company! I have had a rep to call my job back to back 10 times. During the first two calls I explained to them that i was homeless with my two children and I could bearly feed them let alone pay my car payment, prior to then I paid my care payment on time. The rep went on to tell me how bad of a mother i was and I was "triflin", and that they were going to come and pick the car up! At this time i only owed them 160.00. I continuously received phone calls from them harassing me and any of my contacts. I then called back to request for an extension or to add the payment on to the end of my loan, I was told that was not possible! The company has to do there job, but this behavior is uncalled for!

• Ju
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I too have had the same exact problem with this company. I have come to the conclusion that this is a govt owned company. Because they break every law that can be broken and they are still in business, it leads me to believe that the govt set up this company to give the poorest of poor and those that struggle the most to pay their debts for whatever reason, a loan to get a car so they can continue to work. A person with a car is much more likely to be responsible then someone who doesn't have a car. If it wasn't a govt owned company there is no way they wouldn't have been sued. I would like to start a civil law suit. I would like to get everyone that has had any kind of bad experience with this company an opportunity to take part in this law suit. If you are interested in moving forward with me, please email me at julesbydesign@yahoo.com. In the subject line please post CPS Car issues. If you would forward me an email with what you have gone thru with this company and any contact info you feel comfortable sharing, I promise you I will do my best to expose these people in our court system. This company went into my daughters checking account a second month in a row, and took payment, even though they were told several times that they could only take one months payment. The lady then said to my daughter we will be taking next months payment as well. My daughter said no, they didn't have her permission to go in there any other time but the payment she was calling for. They went ahead and stole the money out of her account the next month without any kind of contact or permission. I too have suffered all the same phone harassment as well as having all my family members being told that they were coming to repo my car. Again, I will be shopping for an attorney and filing a class action law suit. If the govt is behind this, it needs to be exposed, if this is an American company doing business in America, then they need to abide by the laws in America and calling and threatening and stealing money from our accounts is not the way we do business in a law abiding country. Email me if you are interested in joining this civil lawsuit. julesbydesign@yahoo.com