Columbia House DVD Club / Keep taking money out of my account

I would like to file a complaint against a DVD club Columbia house. I have cancelled with them 2 years ago and i don't receive anything from them. Now all of a sudden they keep taking money out of my account. Now because of it i got to keep filing Disputes with my bank. I don't belong with them and i don't receive anything from them. But this is becoming a headache and would like to receive information on how to file a complaint against them.

A  4th of Apr, 2007 by
I hate these people. They are frauds and liars. There is a forum on this and a lawyer is willing to help. Please email me for further details although i cant help that much will try to do whatever I can.
A  18th of May, 2007 by
I have the same problem. I just filed a complaint with the New York BBB against them.
A  1st of Jun, 2007 by
I was also charged $73.76 to my account however I purchased a DVD priced at $24.95. Frustrated, I sent numerous inquiries via email with no replies except more promotional offers. Reaching a CSR by phone is an impossibility so hopefully the seventh email is a charm.
A  1st of Jun, 2007 by
EDIT: The DVD I ordered was cancelled due to "lack of new supply" so basically I'm stuck with minus $73.76.
A  25th of Sep, 2007 by
I am a disabled American (dislexic), very limited funds... I joined Columbia House almost 2 months ago, not realizing that once you give them your credit card number they send movies you don't even order. At the first of Sept, 07 I became homeless and have been living wherever I can. This past weekend I had access to a computer to find out Columbia House had taken out over 50 dollars from my account without my permission and sent the movies to an address I no longer have. I have called 2 days in a row to get my money back to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do?
A  14th of Nov, 2007 by
I just spent 3 hours on the phone with Columbia house about duplicate charges for one movie that I agreed to buy on a promotion, not only was my account double debited but was over charged for the movies by $22. Of course when I called them to complain I was told that they don't show the charges as approved, but that my bank declined the charges, I asked them to do a conference call to my bank so that they could verify the charges, the manager told me he didnt have the ability to make phone calls, which I know is wrong, I have worked as a manager in call centers and if anyone has the ability to make outbound calls it is a manager. So I called my bank, they were more than happy to call Columbia House to verify the charges, the manager refused to listen, assured me that my order was cancelled and told me not to call back again and that there was nothing that they could do about the fact that their two pending charges in my bank acct were causing checks to bounce and was not willing to try to make it up to me. Even after threatening them that I would be complying to their executive offices, the bbb and my local state about their shady practices, I was just told to stop waisting their time. Checking on the BBB, they are NOT registered with the BBB and are also not in good standing due to amount of complaints that the BBB receives about them. Wish I would have know before I did business with them.
A  22nd of May, 2008 by
They are doing the same to my account, double charging it and can not talk to anybody. I will contact my bank and try to stop them from collecting any more money. I am also out of work do to reno kidney failure and chronic nerve damage to my legs as a result of this illness. I have three little kids and money is really tight in my house at this time. If any one knows how I can contact before I have to pay my bank to stop the drafts let me know.
A  28th of May, 2008 by
Columbia House does business in a very deceitful manner. I had an account with them for over 3 years and met my commitment to them. When they charged me for a movie that I attempted to purchase with fun cash, I called to get it straight. I had a copy of my confirmation page that the movie was purchased with fun points, and they still claimed that the movie did not qualify which is why they charged my account. It was very difficult to get them on the phone, and once I did reach someone, she was very rude and nasty. The supervisor she put on the phone was equally unpleasant. I let the charge go, and told them to close my account.

Then I was suckered back in…

After several attempts via e-mail and postal mail to get me to “re-instate” my account I decided to do so, accepting the 6 movies at a reduced price and one at regular club price as a welcome back gift. To my dismay, this is in their records as a new account in which I now have a new commitment. They have since charged my account for a movie I did not order, which was sent to me as a director’s selection. When I called them and explained to them the movie was refused and returned unopened, because they have not gotten it back they will not refund my account. They also claim that because this is a “new” account it is stated in the terms of the account that they will charge my card for anything they ship automatically. I asked them to remove my card and they will not; they claim they have to have it on record. I asked them to cancel my account, and I am told that I have to complete my commitment or they will charge my card for the remaining movies. I feel as though I have been bullied and bamboozled into a commitment. This is an example of unscrupulous and unethical business practices.
N  24th of Jun, 2008 by
I have writen to columbia house to cancell my subscription. And they still send me dvd's. So I send them back. Now they are sending me bills for dvd's that I do not have. I have been sending them back unopened. And the post man has been taking them from my work place. So I know they have gotten them back.
A  11th of Nov, 2008 by
Nothing but lies and wrong dvd's and wrong charges from the get go!! I have never had so much trouble with a supposedly legit company in my intire life! They send wrong dvd's, then charge me for them (take the money out of my bank account). Then somehow, I got in touch with them, and told them, then they (three tries later) finally send the right one, but charge me twice for it. They said they sent one I NEVER received, and have the audacity to charge me for it. My 5 year old grandson could run this business much better than they are. Whomever is running it obviously has mental health problems, and organizational problems and math problems, etc. Now, as the rest of you have mentioned, it is totally impossible to get in touch with them. Contact is virtually impossible!! Which means death for any company. They don't seem to care, either. I refuse to pay for any more that I do not get or are the wrong ones sent to me. I finally had to change my credit card...the bank issued me another with different numbers so now they can't charge it any more...
A  7th of Dec, 2008 by
OMG -- they are still pulling the same stuff !!

On August 8, 2008 I purchased some DVDs from Columbia House, the order came to $35.84. The order was shipped missing an item after many emails and phone calls to them I finally got my remaining item but they charged me an additional three times for that one item. After another round of calls and emails I finally chalked it up to a bad experience that I would learn a lesson from.

On October 11.2008 I logged into my checking account to find that I had two pending charges of $99.76 from Columbia House! I immediately called Chase Bank’s toll free number where I spoke to a wonderful supervisor Pat, whom advised that as they were still pending she had been able to reverse them. As a caution she advised that they could submit again as long as they had my card number and provided me the number to the Chase Claims Department.

Immediately I began trying to contact Columbia House via their email process on their website - to this day they have NEVER responded to the dozens of emails that I have sent regarding this issue. Calls are answered by someone not qualified to handle the matter, so a supervisor will need to return your call and that NEVER happens either.

I tried to remove my card information from their site, which the site does not allow you to do! You also can not remove the check mark in the box allowing them to use that information for any future shipments and charges! In frustration I changed the billing information on the card to Big Bird, 123 Sesame Street, New York NY 10001

On October 14, 2008 they again debited my checking account for $99.76 which resulted in CHASE Bank charging me $75.00 and $32.00 for insufficient funds fees.

I contacted CHASE Bank filed a claim and closed that debit card (as they would not file the claim other wise). I provided them with screen shots showing no purchases, no shipments, no pending orders since the August fiasco and was advised by Angel that CHASE Bank would be crediting back the charge and any related insufficient funds fees.

Initially they did credit back the $99.76 and the $75.00 for insufficient funds. CHASE refused to credit the $32.00 as Donnell advised me because a previous request had been made (the $75.00) within a 12-month period.

On November 20, 2008 CHASE bank reversed themselves and took the $99.76 and the $75.00 from my checking account. I contacted CHASE Claims Department on 11.21.2008 and was advised by Judy that she would re-open the claim and I would receive that information shortly. Several hours later there was still no information received. Again I contacted CHASE claims where upon Andre advised me that I would need to speak with a supervisor whom was currently on another call and would need to call me back.

To date there has been no communication from Judy or Andre’s supervisor, maybe CHASE has Columbia House train the employees in their Claims Department!

Thanks to Grinches at COLUMBIA HOUSE and CHASE BANK there will be no Christmas in our household this year. The theft of over $200.00 from my account by these two supposedly reputable companies has ended any possibility of a celebration of any kind in my household

A  5th of Feb, 2009 by
I am so DONE with these people!! Time and time again they continue sending me unsolicited dvd's and I have fulfilled my membership limit with them. I have BEGGED them time and time again to cancel my membership and yet they keep on sending me these DAMN movies and billing me for them. These people already ruined my credit score once. I WILL NOT ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!! I guess my next step is Consumer Affairs or the BBB.
Maybe both. Enough is enough!!

Columbia House Logo Columbia House