Columbia House / Edge Line Ventures Logo

Columbia House / Edge Line Ventures

Having problems with Columbia House / Edge Line Ventures?

501 Ridge Ave.
Fri8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Being charged for dvd that i did not receive

I have been trying since May 2015 to resolve an issue regarding DVD's that I did not receive but am...

Lied about nonexistent order

DBI Columbia House charged me $50 for some DVDs. I called them and asked where my DVDs are and they told they haven’t got my order. Then I asked them why they charged me money in that case. They had nothing to say, so they simply hang up. I will return my money sooner or later.

Was tricked into a Columbia House membership, which still haunts me four years late

I, like many others, was tricked into a Columbia House membership, which still haunts me four years later...

I did not order what they said I did

They have turned an account into collections said I order CDs and or DVDs I did not order anything from this company now its in a collection agency I want a copy of the order My name is Shirley Sherwood address Box 73 Jasper NY 14855 The women that called was very rude I couldnt under stand her and I had too had ask her too slow down again I did not order anything from this company. Again I would like too have a copy of this order if someone is ordering in my name I need proof too have something done about this

• Si
    Sissyme Jul 15, 2011

They did the same to me what collections agency did they send it to.

Bad service

I would like the account people at Columbia house to get their stuff together. They tell me my account is closed but keep sending me directors choices. If you throw it away they charge you for the dvd and bill my credit card. I've tried contacting them with no response. This really ***. I'm wasting stamps every month because they won't let me stop the account. I'm just letting everybody know about this so you don't get wrapped up in this mess. Thanks for letting me vent and I hope this helps someone down the line.

• Ho
    Howard Jan 07, 2009

I ordered the Director Selection which should of been shipped 12/8/2008 I have yet to receive this dvd but believe me they took the money out of my bank account on that date. I did find a contact number 1-800-262-2001 after following several voice prompts to finally talk to real person only to be hung up on by Daniel. I called back and spoke to someone else who informed me that they can NOT issue a credit until 4 weeks have passed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was hung up on again. I would recommend going to your local Walmart over joining this club which has horrible customer service.

Joseph Feb 05, 2009

I placed an order, they ignored it, a duplicate order that costs more than double the original order (and includes a DVD I didn't order) suddenly shows up in my account history and they're charging me for that. They won't cancel that fake order, are giving me the runaround that it's "being reviewed, " all the while still sending me items from the duplicate order and charging me. They claim that they can't cancel it and that I have to return it to them once I get it, while still charging me this whole time.

Update: So what happens after I send the items back to them? They create yet another false order for only three of the four titles I originally ordered, and charge me $20 more for those three items than my actual order for four items! Why can't they just send me the damn order I actually made and charge me the correct amount for it? The level of incompetence at Columbia House is mind-blowing.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me. One time I asked them why they weren't shipping out an order, so what do they do? Create a second order and charge me twice! When I tell them what they just did, they created a third order and charged me a third time! When I returned the two duplicate orders, they froze my account because of excessive returns!

You get what you pay for -- cheap movies but the worst customer service possible. If you ever sign up with them, I strongly recommend a virtual credit card with a cap so they can't pull this crap on you.

• So
    SomeoneWhoWorksAndBuys Mar 22, 2010

"If you throw it away they charge you for the dvd and bill my credit card." WTF? You through the DVD away? Well, of course they charged you! They think you kept it!

Though, they should NOT keep sending you stuff after you cancel. That's not right.

Incorrect Invoice

I have today received an invoice for some good selection number DOC00003/LPC11111. Dated July 2009, and late...

Columbia House Video Club

Membership Cancellation

I have been a loyal customer of Columbia House for several years, with a large purchase history and...

Unknown Debt Collection

My husband and I have been receiving calls from Takhar Group for nearly a year. We are both disabled and are unable to deal with the constant harassing from them. From what I have learned online, a number of people have posted complaints about this company but not with you. The representatives are terribly rude and accusatory and are not forthcoming with account numbers from Columbia House, dates, etc. but only want my/our social security numbers, credit card information, and/or payments sent to them. Can you stop them?

• Em
    Emm52 Nov 10, 2009

I don't even own a credit card and the Takhar group is calling me. I'm only 17. They keep calling from 1-866-408-8299. Why are people like this allowed to exist? If they are scamming people, why hasn't anyone shut them down?

Avoid at all costs

I am soo over their bs..first I enter their club and they try to renege on their own agreement by trying to make me pay for my intro package and two advanced orders before I even received the intro package..I complained to the Attorney General and they were forced to send me my intro package..I paid and am now trying to get them to send me my first few orders so I can kiss their club bye bye..I placed two orders one twice coz they ignored the first order..then I requested a replacement be sent for a dvd title they no longer had that was suppose to be a part of my intro package...I placed a second order that would get me closer to fulfilling my obligation..they sent me my first order one item would count toward my obligation the other item would not..of course the item that did count was heavily damaged..my request for a replacement item is being ignored, by them, they removed the charge for my obligation item, so I'm now no longer one step closer to fulfilling my obligation...they sent me my replacement title plus the dvd set I bought from them does not count toward my obligation and the orders I have placed that would count are being totally ignored..they are trying to back me into a corner..I sent them one last email and gave them 3 days to ship all of my orders or I would be contacting the AG..COLUMBIA HOUSE IS A RIP OFF, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

Fraudulent Charge

Hi,
Columbia House has submitted a bill they say I owe to a collection agency. I do not owe Columbia House any money. They have brought my credit score down 100 point for a charge of $23...that I do not owe them. In addition to that, I have no contact information for Columbia House. I am in the process of trying to refinance my home, and this fraudulent charge is preventing me from getting a good interest rate. Can anyone help?

CrabCrab May 14, 2009

A while ago someone opened up an account under my credit card, i went to cancel it and when I called them the said I had to get the product first, then ask for a form to return it and then they would cancel it. I never received the goods so I waited 6 months then finally got them to send me a letter to fill out and sign stating that I never authorized these charges, the account isn't mine, and I never received anything. I though this would be the end of it but apparently they never received it. I sent them e-mails and they said maybe it got lost in the mail. So, once again, they mailed me this stoopid form, I filled it out and sent it again. A few weeks later I got a call from a collections agancy, and when I called Columbia house they accused me of lying and wanting to keep the CDs (I don't even know what was ordered) and they said that they couldn't send me the form again and that they couldn't do anything for me but send me credits for when I pay what I owed. This is what I did- I didn't get scammed and I hope that the below helps:
    In Canada we have the ministry of small businesses and consumer services. You can file a complaint through them. I filed it with them and also told the collections agency that these charges were fradulent. Literally a week and a day after I filed complaint I got letter from Columbia house telling me the $112.00 dollars I owed them was cancelled as well as the membership.

If you have proof that you've tried resolving this with them and they're just yanking your chain you can report them to better business bureau or to a small business and consumer service ministry-type thing. (Not sure if it's same in the US)

I hope this helps- Stoopid Columbia house sucks! They're a bunch of scammers and rude on the phone.

Chrissy7377 Oct 14, 2009

It is a bunch of crap that you are stating Columbia House brought down your credit score. They don't report to a credit agency. How can they when they don't have your social security number. If your credit score is dropping then there is another company out there that you owe money to that IS reporting it.

Bait and switch fraud

I received a advert which stated buy 7 dvds for .49 each plus shipping which should have been about $25 in total..I ordered the following dvds at .49 each plus shipping...Single white female, the silence of the lambs, red dragon collectors edition, sibling rivalry, psycho collectors edition, father of the bride, and urban legends Bloody Mary..these were suppose to be sent in my introductory package per their own terms..I also placed two advanced orders..the first was Urban Legend the second was Blind Fury..what I received instead of my promised introductory package of 7 dvds I received "Silence Of The Lambs" one of my .49 dvds, Urban Legends priced at $16.95 and Blind Fury priced at $11.94, (they charged me more for my two advanced orders to top it off..$2 more for each title)..Columbia House pulled a bait and switch on me..instead of getting my welcome package of 7 dvds paying for that should I decide to join they sent me the two advanced orders (charged two dollars more for each dvd) I would have gotten had I decided to join and paid for..they sent me the advanced orders first along with a single dvd from my welcome package..they gave me no choice in whether I join the club or not..I opened that package thinking my welcome dvds were inside instead inside was two dvds I was suppose to get AFTER I made my decision about whether I was staying in the club or not..they took my choice away from me now they want me to pay not only for the two advanced dvds now, but also for my welcome dvds I never even received..I emailed them and received the same canned dumber then a box of rocks response both times..Columbia House pulled a bait and switch on me..they have lost ALL of my future business..I DID NOT receive my 7 dvds priced at .49 a piece plus shipping instead what I got was three dvds only one was from my welcome package plus a bill for the welcome package I never even received..I will pay what I owe, but I will NOT buy another thing from them..another thing that angers me two dvds I ordered Psycho collectors edition and Red Dragon aren't even listed on my invoice as being owed to me!

Legal Racket? Consumer BEWARE of their fraudulent business practices!

The worst experience ever! I am struggling to comprehend why this company is still in business. Their business practices are border-line fraudulent. Please, BEWARE. Don't purchase anything from this company, DO NOT give them your credit card info if you want to avoid long battles to refund unauthorized charges!
I've recently received their demand to pay them $75 of Due on Contract charge, since I failed to purchase 3 more DVDs. I don't even understand how the 2 years contract with 4 DVD's obligation became a year contract... Well, they sent a leaflet along with their threatening collection letter.This leaflet listed all the crappy movies in the world I could buy for their exorbitant prices in order to fulfill my so-called obligations. I wasn't going to purchase any of this crappy titles forced on me so I tried to get an access to my account on their site to peruse their full selection, when to my surprise I've discovered that they de-activated my account. Meaning I didn't have an access to the full selection on-line. The only titles available were the half-a-dollar movies qualifying for their membership. I immediately called the customer service number on the letter [protected] -- what a run-around. You can never reach a live person -- I pushed every option available to try to get a live person on the other end of the line. So after spending more than an hour on the phone I tried to contact their web-site. What a joke! I'v lost a count of e-mails I sent to their Customer Service. I've got an impression that I bunch of parrots was hammering away on the keyboard buttons or they simply have an E-mail robot, which selects the answer by identifying some key words. All my explanations were rebuffed by the demand to pay the money first and then they would send me the CERTIFICATES for the DVD' purchase. Listen to this irony! I don't have an access to their selection because they canceled my account. They force me to choose the titles that I don't want and don't need and then they offer certificates that I can't use since I don't have an access to the full selection without an account. Is this legal? Can somebody help me with an advise? I am going to file a complaint with FTC and Attorney General of Indiana and my State. I've sent a letter to Columbia House DVD Club headquarters regarding this situation. NO reply! Class action, anyone? I am in!

• 18
    1808864 Mar 04, 2009

If you call 1-800-262-2001. All you need to do is press the number 5 and you can get to a live person. Everytime I've called it worked. But even if you try to file a suit against them, they are protected because they list every single little detail about the membership in the terms & conditions when you first join up-which i'm sure no one reads. If they made a mistake, its easier if you just call them and nicely talk to them and work it out.

Got movies-did not order

In Jan 2007, I was a victim of identity theft and Internet fraud. I received DVD's from Columbia House...

Illegal Billing

I have received notice after notice from Columbia House for a membership I never signed up for. They're claiming I owe $124.70 for DVDs and a membership I've never signed up for. They claimed I signed a contract with them which I've never done. Columbia House also fails to have anyway to contact them besides an automated telephone line. I've yet to speak with a real person. They also don't seem to accept any letters that are complaining their charges. I've never received anything nor ordered from this company and am wondering how they got my name and address. If Columbia House turns this over to a collection agency I just may place a punitive damages charge against the company if they fail to respond to my letter. Also this seems to be the 5th Final Notice I've received from them. I also do not want my credit score hurt by the irresponsibility of Columbia House.

collection agencies

I signed up with Columbia House, ordered the movies that I wanted and fulfilled my obligation. I went on-line and cancelled as well as calling them to be sure the account had been cancelled, which I was assured that it was. After about 1 or 2 months I started receiving calls from a collection agency because according to Columbia House I still owed them $25.94. I told the agency that I had cancelled the account and they told me that they would not call again, that was in July of 06 and lo and behold in May of 07 I started getting calls grom a different agency and the same thing happened. This summer once again a different collection agency started calling me and they will not even listen so I will not answer their calls. I simply want Columbia House to cease and desist or I will turn this over to an attorney and they will pay me for harrassment, pain and suffering since I had major back surgery and the calls are never ending, day and night. They are not getting another penny from me and they are a bunch of low life cowards and I do not know how they even stay in business.

Crier Dec 13, 2008

HOW CHASE BANK AND COLUMBIA HOUSE STOLE CHRISTMAS

On August 8, 2008 I purchased some DVDs from Columbia House, the order came to $35.84. The order was shipped missing an item after many emails and phone calls to them I finally got my remaining item but they charged me an additional three times for that one item. After another round of calls and emails I finally chalked it up to a bad experience that I would learn a lesson from.

On October 11.2008 I logged into my checking account to find that I had two pending charges of $99.76 from Columbia House! I immediately called Chase Bank 800 where I spoke to a wonderful supervisor Pat, whom advised that as they were still pending she had been able to reverse them. As a caution she advised that they could submit again as long as they had my card number and provided me the number to the Chase Claims Department.

Immediately I began trying to contact Columbia House via their email process on their website - to this day they have NEVER responded to the dozens of emails that I have sent regarding this issue. Calls are answered by someone not qualified to handle the matter, so a supervisor will need to return your call and that NEVER happens either.

I tried to remove my card information from their site, which the site does not allow you to do! You also can not remove the check mark in the box allowing them to use that information for any future shipments and charges! In frustration I changed the billing information on the card to Big Bird, 123 Sesame Street, New York NY 10001

On October 14, 2008 they again debited my checking account for $99.76 which resulted in CHASE Bank charging me $75.00 and $32.00 for insufficient funds fees.

I contacted CHASE Bank filed a claim and closed that debit card (as they would not file the claim other wise). I provided them with screen shots showing no purchases, no shipments, no pending orders since the August fiasco and was advised by Angel that CHASE Bank would be crediting back the charge and any related insufficient funds fees.

Initially they did credit back the $99.76 and the $75.00 for insufficient funds. CHASE refused to credit the $32.00 as Donnell advised me because a previous request had been made (the $75.00) within a 12-month period.

On November 20, 2008 CHASE bank reversed themselves and took the $99.76 and the $75.00 from my checking account again. I contacted CHASE Claims Department on 11.21.2008 and was advised by Judy that she would re-open the claim and I would receive that information shortly. Several hours later there was still no information received. Again I contacted CHASE claims where upon Andre advised me that I would need to speak with a supervisor whom was currently on another call and would need to call me back.

To date there has been no communication from Judy or Andre’s supervisor, maybe CHASE has Columbia House train the employees in their Claims Department!

Thanks to Grinches at COLUMBIA HOUSE and CHASE BANK there will be no Christmas in our household this year. The theft of over $200.00 from my account by these two supposedly reputable companies has ended any possibility of a celebration of any kind in my household

BE WARNED AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ANYWHERE ELSE

Unauthorized Membership

I recently became aware that someone had utalized my credit card to become a member of and order DVD from...

Minor signed up for DVD's without permission

My name is Dorselene Humphries, my grandson Shane Pike (whose name is on the account) is underage (a minor...

i owe them money

I keep getting bill from Columbia House that I owe them 43.88. I keep sending payments to this Company I, m paying by credit card and still getting notices. what should I do? The payment is sent to Indianapolis, IN [protected]

• El
    elizabeth ann turner Nov 08, 2008

I am not paying this bill, of 49.88, purchased no DVD's, currently out of work, have no money for DVD's or anything else...to repeat myself, I am not paying this bill of 49.88, remove my name from your membership listings. elizabeth ann turner

Crier Dec 12, 2008

HOW CHASE BANK AND COLUMBIA HOUSE STOLE CHRISTMAS

On October 11.2008 I logged into my checking account to find that I had two pending charges of $99.76 from Columbia House! I immediately called Chase Bank’s toll free number where I spoke to a wonderful supervisor Pat, whom advised that as they were still pending she had been able to reverse them. As a caution she advised that they could submit again as long as they had my card number and provided me the number to the Chase Claims Department.

On November 20, 2008 CHASE bank reversed themselves and took the $99.76 and the $75.00 from my checking account. I contacted CHASE Claims Department on 11.21.2008 and was advised by Judy that she would re-open the claim and I would receive that information shortly. Several hours later there was still no information received. Again I contacted CHASE claims where upon Andre advised me that I would need to speak with a supervisor whom was currently on another call and would need to call me back.

BE WARNED AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ANYWHERE ELSE

Extra charge

On 05 / 31 / 07 i received a small box in the mail from a po box in greenville sc. I assumed it was some type...

Ridiculous!

So I heard about one of those free iPod touchs/iPod nano sites that actually give away iPods, IF you sign up for 7 offers they provide, sign up meaning give you credit card number. Columbia house had an ad stating 5 DVD's for 49 cents each. I assumed that'd be the cheapest route to go, versus 70 dollars for some strange language dvd or NetFlix, which I saw as potentially costing me a lot of money.

The registration was simple, I entered my credit card and the five DVDs I wanted. However, upon further reflection I decided to cancel my account, literally 5 minutes later. I tried to click around on their site to get some help with this, and was astonished when I discovered that this webpage that sells thousands of DVDs had only one page! the page you enter your credit card number on. I googled "Columbia House" and a bigger website popped up, with 3 pages, a login page, a registration page, and a help page, with no contact information besides an address and an email addressed that bounced back at me when I tried to write them. Finally, I googled "columbia house cancel account" and a few phone numbers came back to me on complaint pages like this one. No where on the website is there a phone number to call. I called the number, [protected] for the publics information, and tried to fight my way through the automated responses to eventually reach a person, even MORE difficult then it sounds. I just want to cancel my account! I canceled all of the other stupid offers I signed up for in a matter of seconds, but Columbia House has no contact information other than an address that's probably out-dated and a sketchy website that I should of known was a scam ahead of time. Throughout the telephone battle, I sent them a question in their question box, which by the way has no way of contacting them independently of their website. It has two or three dropboxes that ask what kind of question you're asking and what the question is about, and finally a space for your email address. I selected "cancel my account from the menu, and a window popped up with a telephone number! it's about time! No where else on the site is there a phone number. I submitted about 25 "questions" in capitol letters sharing my feelings about how difficult it has been dealing with Columbia House. I asked them to cancel my account. Battle of the robots on the phone finally succeeded, by pressing 1 for "english", 5 for "more options" and 5 again for "cancel my account". I listened to horrible violins play for about 15 minutes, while thinking that there's probably a whole lot of other people calling to cancel their accounts, too. A woman answered. I explained the situation in a calm rational voice, explaining that I'd like to cancel my account, like i had done for several of the other offers. She than tells me that I can't cancel my account until AFTER I pay for the 5 DVDs!! I don't receive an account number or an invoice for the movies until after they get to my house, so I can't provide an account number. I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the movies to arrive, request a return postage from Columbia house (based on how difficult everything else has been, how can I expect a return postage to come in any reasonable amount of time), mail the movies back, than call the number back, and THEN cancel my account. I have never dealt with such a crazy scam in my life. And it's obvious it's a scam, let's call it what it is. It's not even that great of a deal! Buying movies at BestBuy or Costco or renting with BB or Netflix makes so much more sense that I'm so surprised a company like this is even around to scam anybody! She said "obviously you didn't read the terms and conditions, I cannot cancel you're APPLICATION until after you've received the movies" Oh my god. My request to buy movies from this sub-par fake "deal" site is now an application, and being as such, cannot be canceled!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices