Coles Supermarket, Five Dock NSW Australia / fruit and vegetable freshness - not

1 Australia

On Thursday 21st December I did my Christmas food shopping at Five Dock. By Sunday 24th it was clear that the packaged celery and the bunch of asparagus had both been part- or fully frozen at some time just before being offered for sale. (Like many vegetables that have been exposed to excessive cold, they were watery and mushy.) I then recalled that this had been the case when I purchased celery a couple of weeks previously. So close to Christmas I had no time to return these items to the store, and just had to make do without them for our Christmas celebrations.

It galls me that Coles make such a big deal of the "freshness" of their produce, while clearly much of that produce has been stored for some time! Strawberries and blueberries have also been unusable just days after purchase as they have gone mouldy very quickly. I expect better of Coles.

I must also, at this time, protest the culling of brand choices from the shelves, in favour of Coles brand. I refuse to buy Coles brand under any circumstances as I believe this puts producers under intolerable pressure and is likely to put many out of business altogether. I want the option to make my own choices as to brand! The only non-Coles brand tinned peaches available in Five Dock and Birkenhead are terrible. The meats are of indifferent quality, apart from those available from the deli section, which are very expensive.

This is so disappointing as the Superbarn which previously occupied the Five Dock site provided excellent choice and quality, plus home delivery which Coles do not. I think it's time for me to drive further in order to find an independent alternative to Coles and Woolworths, or to do what I really should have been doing all along -- visiting individual butchers and greengrocers.

Rh