Coast Dental / RIP-OFF

1 5000 Highway 17Fleming Island, FL, United States Review updated:

I made an appointment to have a dental cleaning at Coast Dental. Upon arrival I was called to do Xrays since I'm new patient. As soon as I set in the chair, the lady came in and stated to me "we're going to take two types of xrays, and a gum cancer test" TELLING me, not ASKING ME. So me not knowing much thinking it is covered by my insurance ccompany, and it is a routine with every new member, I went ahead with it. The lady never told me this was extra charge till she brought me to sign a consent form of the bill after the fact. (which is illegal). Anyway, I set in the chair wanting a cleaning, after I was checked by the dentist, the same lady comes back with a document that she wanted me to sign that indicates a bill of $332.50.
They wanted to sell me an electric tooth-brush although I have one. They wanted me to buy a very expensive mouth wash, two tubes of gels for my gums that I didn't need, and a small filling. They stated that I have a small cavity (which I didn't). At that point I was so frustrated. I told them that (I ffel like I'm at a car dealership with salesman trying to sale me extended warranty, but deffinitely not a dental facility).
I left that office with so much anger. I've decided to take my business to an honest dental office where I feel I'm not been taking advantage of.
I went to other dentist and guess what: I DIDN'T NEED A FILLING OR ANY OTHER BULL CRAP THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED.
people, please do not go there, and take your business else where. I've never experienced anything like that with any other dentists.

Comments

• Fo
      22nd of Mar, 2009

Corporate pushes employees to make money whith threats of termination.

• Fo
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I used to work there too and I agree. Patients receive the most expensive treatment no matter if the cheaper is suitable. Its not the fault of the employees...corporate sends threating emails, letters, messages, and surprise drop ins to scare employees into compliance of fraud.

17th of May, 2009

I agree, and then there's asst. who can't get to work on time 45mins. late everyday, but nothing is every said,
    then you have bit???? that do drugs and keep their job and ppl who play by the book and have no job at the end of the day
    and by now you're so over it you just wish you were a fly on the wall and wait for ppl to get smart but all they care about are the nubers at the end of the
    day, and all you really want is patient care.old school was so much better and all the pt want is to get the work done that needs to be done .

28th of May, 2009

all of the above is true. I used to manage a Coast office and it was all about the numbers, regardless of what the "correct" treatment was. It was always treatment planned to do the most expensive. Also the hygienist must "upsale" and tell every patient they have some form of perio disease so that the patients insurance doesnt cover the "cleaning". I was also sent numerous emails from corporate about little or low production and was told by my bosses to threaten employees with termination if they didnt increase the bottom line.

It is also true that the deserving employees seemed to be looked over and passed for promotions when the employee who is always sick, late, lazy, leaves early, etc gets promoted or raises. Coast also hires in new employees for far more money than the employees who have been with them for years.

If you can avoid Coast Dental at all costs, whether it be for treatment or employment.

• Re
      13th of Jul, 2009

I agree, coast dental doesn't giva a damn about the patients, all they care obout is the bottom line. As far as the employees go, they push you to sell the most expensive treatment plans, on top of that, they let their doctors get away with way too much. I worked for coast for years and can attest to all the ### that goes on.

• Pa
      16th of Jul, 2009

The owner is now doing business at "Landmark Dental" in West Haven, CT. Everyone who has posted comments about this, I assure you he is still at it. He is doing business under one of his associates names and all of your complaints are true. I wonder how this guy has done this in so many states and is at it again in Connecticut. It's ashame because our Healthcare system, Insurance Companies(private insurance & State Patients), Dental labs, Supply companies, etc etc are all being screwed out of money too. The insurance complanies are being billed inflated prices and being billed for work either not done or unnessary work just so these people can screw the rest of the world and make themselves a dollar. Not to mention all of the good employees that are not in on what these people are doing and these good employees are the ones losing their jobs or being threatened by these people to be terminated if they say anything about whats going on. I pray that some one of authority can put an end to these corrupt people who are just costing all of us good honest hardworking people with much more morale than these supposed to be dentists and shoddy business people who have lied, threatened and ruined part of many people lives. This goes beyond even all of our witnessing and opinions because if this is allowed to keep happening, it just ruins us Americans, our Healthcare, good employees and insurance rates, etc etc.

• Su
      26th of Jul, 2009

that company is poor evil!!!

• Sm
      16th of Aug, 2009

It is great to see people are writing about this horrible operation. I can attest to all of these allogations and assure anyone reading this and everyone elses posts to be gospel truth. In the short time working there, I was appalled at the lack of concern for patient care, and overwhelming concern for making a daily quota and pushing BS products that patients don't need. Yes, I experienced one of the little "Suprise" visits from my bosses boss. She showed up to the office like the cheshire cat grinning grinning ear to ear and had the whole office in a state of anger and humiliation in the course of an hour. She threatened me and my other co workers with our jobs because we were not cramming some sort of treatment into the new patient exam and hearding patients through the office like a cattle drive, simultaneously draining them for as much out of pocket cost as possible. At the end of this lovely visit this evil b**** had the awdasity to coherese my poor patient in to buying whitening trays and a large bag full of other products. The sad and horrible thing is my patient had a mouth full of rotten and broken teeth. The last thing she should have been recomended is whitening trays. However she and the office manager were laughing all the way to the bank with their bonus checks. At that moment I realized what this company was about. I was sickened, and angry. Since my moral and ethical compass doesn't point due south (like the forementioned boss), I quit. No one should have to work in an office where you scrounge for things like paper towels, latex gloves, and dental film that are what most people including OSHA would consider necessary for performing dental procedures. Not to mention insufficient and inoperable equipment (ie. handpieces, autoclaives, x-ray machines and processors). Well I guess as long as Coast dental still has patients rolling in, they will still be ripping them off. This is only a few examples of the horrible experience I had with this company. Please don't give these crooks business. You will only be ripped off in the end!

• Un
      19th of Aug, 2009

Thank you all for posting your honest experiences of working for this company. We are 5 days from our dental insurance enrollment due date, and all our insurance covers is Coast Dental. We do not have much money & our insurance cost would be about equal to the cost of another local dentist I have here without insurance. I have done a lot of research online about Coast Dental over the past couple of hours, and everywhere I am seeing the same thing. I have experienced and 'upseller' dentist before and it was he was the worst dentist I ever had...so bad I haven't seen another dentist since then (5 years ago). Thanks again for the warning...I'll save my money in a flexible spending account and choose a dentist I like rather than be forced by my insurance to go to a company that only wants my hard earned money.

• De
      26th of Aug, 2009

Coast also "seats" low low quality crowns and bridges that are made in China, they control their cost for a dental restoration by operating their own dental lab, that outsources all the work to at least 2 dental labs in China. So not only are you getting a crown or bridge made with materials that may or may not be safe, the work itself is medium to poor quality, made by companies that are taking work from americans...oh yea, and most new dentists straight out of dental school don't have money to open their own private practice...where do you think the go to work first? They are literally "practicing" on these people who think the are being cared for, and cementing poorly made restorations...haahaahhaa...stupid Americans!!!

• Di
      24th of Sep, 2009

I agree that this is the worst dental service around.

• Gl
      17th of Oct, 2009

i'm a curent employee. sad to say, but the way things are i'm force to stay. what i do have in my favor is 18 years of experince, there for i have found the way to help my patients 110% and know who my way around all the things mention above.still this is a big coorporation, and like we all know, they have more power than just us the little fishes in the sea.i have lost my passion for my career.sadly my time has come to move on.I will take all this bad and good experiences and use it to my future. and that is what i advise to all you above.

• Ag
      21st of Nov, 2009

Thanks all for taking the time to post these comments. I'm trying to find a dental plan for my 23 yr. old daughter who is in grad school. My company drops children when they reach 24 so I have to purchase private insurance for her. Those of us who have insurance through our employers are darn lucky. Trying to find the best coverage for the least cost is like trying to find that needle in a hay stack. But after reading these posts, I have this horrible vision of my daughter going into a Coast Dental office in GA. and receiving the worst possible care -- being told she has cavities or periodental disease that she doesn't or worse. I had a funny feeling when perusing the official Coast Dental website. It too looks thrown together with just a veneer of professionalism. I'm sick to my stomach now but at least I haven't signed up with Coast.

• Bo
      14th of Jan, 2010

I also have had the same problem with Coast Dental in Port Charlotte. I went for my normal 6 month cleaning back in august of 2009. The Hygenist told me to brush 3 times a day, make an appointment 3 times a year. She probed my gum line and said I have periodontal disease (seems that everyone in Fl has periodontal disease so insurance will pay more ). She would have to do a special cleaning and administer Arestin. I asked her how much would that cost and would my insurance cover it. She left the room and came back with a printed estimate. The cleaning would be $669.00. Not covered by my insurance. (she expected me to take the money right out of my pocket) I said well how about doing just a regular cleaning. I can't do that till you have this treatment done. I said see ya later and walked out. I just called them again Jan 6 to make an other appointment. The reception looked at my file and said I would have to have that treatment. She said they will not clean my teeth, It's against the law. My Delta Dental has only two in network dentists in this area. So I'm still looking. Bob in Port Charlotte

• Ir
      16th of Feb, 2010

I went there yesterday with my 14 yr old son and the tech kept having me sign all these papers, we were just there for an exam. I felt like I was at a car dealership. they wanted to do the oral cancer screening for $59 and when I declined she tried to make me feel like I was a bad mother. I cannot believe the way they push for more money. It is definitely the mcdonalds of the dentist industry. The tech did not know how to do an xray so she kept doing it over and over, finally I told the dentist to please do it for her. I realize this is a practice but it doesn't need to be done over and over with my son. I will never go back there again.

2nd of Mar, 2010

This place is an absolute rip off. They treat people like cattle and the dentists walk around with nothing to do but look at x rays and consequently setting an endless string of appointments that will in the end cost a fortune. I went in about two weeks ago, they took x rays, then the doctor came in, looked at them and told the assistant to set an appointment with the doctor that takes out the wisdom teeth. Then he walked out and started pacing around like he wanted to leave. His name is Dr Katz. The doctors are shifted around their different offices, so it is impossible to have two doctors look at you on the same day. I set an appointment with the other doctor and when I came in a few days later I was greeted by this beefy dude with hands like he had just mawn his lawn. I was glad he said I did not need have my wisdom teeth removed. The thought of having those fingers inside my mouth made me nauseous. Instead, he prescribed mouthwash. Yes, mouthwash. He then said I would need to schedule a third appointment with the first doctor to have a cavity fixed.

On my third appointment I was given the oral cancer exam and more x rays. The assistant did not know what she was doing. Whe I asked her about the results for the oral cancer exam, her response was an assuring, 'the doctor did not say anything so I am assuming you do not have cancer'. I had already warned her that i was pissed and that I was not leaving until I had some real work done on my teeth. Then came Dr Katz again who once again looked at the x rays and suggested to have more work done. Then, he proceeded to get up, walk away and started pacing around like a kid that's waiting to be saved by the bell. Then of course, another doctor was sent in. She was going to talk about deep cleaning but before she said anything I told her that I did not care about cleaning that I just wanted to have the cavity fixed. Then, they sent another dentist and he told me my options; have the tooth extracted or have a root canal. I asked him when could this be done and he said, 'you have to set another appointment'. Unbelievable, Coast Dental needs to be investigated. Absolute rip offs.

• Lu
      5th of Aug, 2010

Some one needs to investigate Coast Dental. There are so many complains filed against them. I am one of them. I will never go back to them. I am going to my regular dentist who is two hours away. I am saving over two hundred dollars per filling. Coast Dental is a rip-off.

• Co
      10th of Feb, 2011

I have filed a case in court against Coast Dental. They have filed a Motion to Dismiss against me. The case will be heard Feburary 17th at 8:45 am 930 East Parker Street Lakeland Florida. Anyone wishing to attend plesae feel free to come to court.
    Howie

• Ju
      20th of Feb, 2011

I used to work in the Sebring, FL office and I agree. All they care about is money. The don't care about the patients of the staff. I'm a hygienist and they wanted me to tell everyone that they had some sort of perio disease. REALLY. I took an oath when I became a hygienist and I will not lie to anyone especially my patients. So glad I quit. I now work for a great practice who actually cares about the patients and the staff.

• Ga
      20th of Feb, 2011

There are 2 co. taking money from my cking acct. how and who are they one is called Lurds and this one Sem value plus. damn this makes me bad can you help. I hope to get to the bany, it ia hard since I walk with a walker and don't drive, I will do my best. Can you please help me. e mai is and please don't do not give this to [email protected]