Citizen's Bank / International Wire Transfer Gone Wrong

1 Providence, RI, United States Review updated:

Citizen's Bank has also been completely unreliable with me. Their workers, even their managers, are incompetent. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to send a wire to England.

I paid the amount of money in pounds, and the money was immediately withdrawn from my account. Everything was fine until a week later when I received two letters in the mail. One said I was paying a bank in England the amount of money I sent out, and another said that the bank in England wired the money back to me because of an incorrect IBAN number.

Because of the international exchange rates, I lost a few hundred dollars. Believing there must be some mistake, I called my branch of Citizen's Bank, which then directed me to their wiring company. The woman immediately pointed out that whoever had done the wiring (the banker) had added "IBAN" to the beginning of the IBAN number, making it wrong.

I called the banker, who claimed that it was my fault because I had signed the paper, letting him send the wire. I was unaware, at that time, that "IBAN" had been added in front of the correct IBAN number. I thought it was just the place where they were putting the IBAN number, and the rest had been typed correctly.

The banker said that I had presented him the IBAN number like that, which was a complete lie. I had typed out "IBAN :" (with a colon before the number, nonetheless!) so that I would know where to point when they asked me for the number. Also, my question to you: shouldn't a person who banks for a job KNOW the correct format for sending a wire? Why would I tell you the correct format? That's like a doctor needing to ask you which scalpel to use when you ask for a surgery!

The banker (who turned out to be the manager of that branch) was extremely rude and began to string me along. It was not until I called the regional manager, who was also rude to me, that I had things sorted out. Only after I hassled them twice a day for a week did they grudgingly agree to give me back the $10 outgoing wiring fee, $13 incoming wiring fee, and the several hundreds of dollars of mine they lost due to their incompetence.

Good riddance, Citizen's. I'm going to get my money tomorrow and close my account with you!

Comments

• Ro
      21st of Jul, 2016
    Citizen's Bank - Charges by privacy matters and pmi idenity
    CITIZEN'S BANK
    Reading
    Massachusetts

Every month since at least last September I have had charges of 29. 95 taken out of my bank account on account co87647888 - 840 - 6301 ct and 2720877 - 993 - 6262 ct and also $1. 00 every month. I do not use these services and am asking for repayment from you. I did not authorize them. I recently purchased a new computer and changed my email accounts from aol. I request payment from privacy matters and pmi identity plus a stop to charges from my account. My bank will no longer accept your bill.