Circuit City / Bad Business Practices

On 11/30/08 on-line I purchased a Gateway lap from Circuit City, or from what I am now calling CROOKED CITY. I was specifically told on-line the product was in stock. I was also guaranteed that I would receive my order on 12/3/08. On 12/2/08 @ 5:00 am PST I got on-line to check the status of my order. To my surprise my order had been cancelled. I immediately called the customer service number to find out what was going on. They informed me that it was cancelled due to the fact that the item was not in stock. I explained to the rep that I was led to believe the item was in stock and was guaranteed it would be here on 12/3/08. She told me there's nothing I can do. I press the issue and ask to speak to her supervisor. She told me there wasn't one available but she could give me a claim number and I could call back later and speak to some one of at a higher level. I say ok and hang up. On 12/2/08 @ 11:08 am PST I call the customer service line again. I explain AGAIN what happened. This rep told me your order is not cancelled and will be there on 12/3/08 as promised. I say great, thank you and hang up. On a hunch I decide to check my order status on-line. I look it up and it still says cancelled. I figured it wasn't updated yet so I decide to call the customer service line again. I check my order that way. It still says cancelled. I finally get to talk to another rep. I explain everything AGAIN. She told me sorry your order is cancelled there's nothing I can do. I ask for a supervisor. I talk to him for about a half an hour. The end result is he said there was a mistake, I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do bye. What has happened to customer service? They honestly believe one person doesn't matter! I work for a major utility in San Diego, Ca. I am a member of local IBEW 465. I have access to a lot of people and I will make sure they all hear this story and I will ask them to please not shop at CROOKED CITY!

Comments

• Va
    Circuit City - Bad service
    Circut City
    Fremont
    California
    circutcity.com

Business closing / Fire sale - It seems that Circuit City of Fremont California is trying to pull a fast one over on the consumers of the Bay Area. It was announced that there would be a "Fire Sale" at this location due to the store closing it's doors. But most items were only marked down 10%. And then I was witness to a pre-markup, the Pioneer (AVHP4000DVD) car stereo, which sells most every where for $400.00 was marked up to $500.00 then reduced to $400.00. Not much of a savings if I could get it somewhere else for less than $400.00 and still have a store to return to if something went wrong. I am sorely disappointed in Circiut City and their sales practices. but what should I expect from a store that will no longer be accountable?

3rd of Jun, 2016

Last Christmas 07 I purchased a 65" TV from Circut City, along with the purchase of this TV I received a FREE Playstation 3. I open a rewards CC and was told with my purchase all items would be intrest FREE for 1 year. (3) months later I started getting billed for the FREE playstation 3. I called customer service, they sent me back to store. Manager(Eddie) said I would need to pay the balance off for the FREE playstation 3, so I pd 700.00 to cover all items less TV. The next month I recieved another bill with intrest, went back to store manager said I would need to contact customer service I did so, they sent me back to store, talk with manager Eddie again C.S. said the promotion was keyed in incorrectly and a store manager could correct this problem. Eddie suggested I pay another 300.00 so I did. Please note for the last three months I have received lates fees for interest FREE for one year and paid 1k. On the same day Eddie called Chase CC CS, spoke to Chase CS rep. I and the CS rep and I went over what I was told by store manager to pay off out standing balance to get intrest FREE for one year. Chase CS rep said that Chase has a contract with Circut City to apply all monies toward the origional promotion, before applying any monies towards other purchases. I called customer service to go over details, they finally started a case # 2306904 and sent me back to the store. C.S. gave me Store Director, Steven Sterijeski name and number, which turn out to be the stores number. I went back to the store after receiving 3rd statement with accrued interest of on interest FREE purchase and the APR went from 14.49% to 186.27% on a intrest FREE for one year CC and have paid 1K toward other purchases (please note I have a credit score of 754) not some slacker, just want to point out a FRAUDULENT SCHEME I spoke with Operation Mngr. Eric. Eric was very aware of this issue. I ask Eric how could anyone possibly get a interest FREE for one year rewards card and recieve a FREE playstation 3 that was charged to my CC and the price for the TV was adjusted to pay for the FREE playstation 3 and paid 1k for other purchases made during Christmas as of which monies only go to the original promotion item. Eric stated that in order to have interest FREE for one year for the TV, I would have needed to return the FREE playstation 3 for a store credit, Eric stated all of the information is on my sale receipt. Note CS said the purchase was coded incorrectly by store! I told Eric this was such a scam, when one at Christmas comes in to the store to purchase a TV and a sales pitch of " Do you have children? Yes. If you purchase one of these 4 TV's you'll recieve a FREE playstation 3 and if you would like to open a Circut City Rewards card, you can also receive intrest FREE for one year, what a deal!!! OH by the way Store Director Steven Sterijeski has never called me back after numerous calls to the store requesting a return call. I dont know Steven has been notified, last spoke with OP Mngr Eric on 10/06, Eric stated after 9-10 months later there is nothing that can be done, I replied to Eric I have been in your store on 4 different occaions and/or for the last 4 months to correct this problem, Eric stated, "I dont know what to tell you, I said please have Steven give me a call and that I understand this is above your head and thanks for your support. I will be paying off this FRAUDULENT SCAM today and will never purchase another item from Circut City Inc.

3rd of Jun, 2016

On 12/27/07, I returned a broken MP3 player my son received as a gift from his grandparents. A replacement was not in stock for Tallahassee, but at 5 different locations two to 4 hours away, all had them in stock. Replacement was Special Ordered as I was told it was not a common stock item.

(Wait a minute, grandparents walked into the store and purchased it, at least 4 other stores have them in stock, but it is NOT A COMMON STOCK ITEM???)

Ok so the replacement was Special Ordered and I waited for one week, with no response, so I went to the store. I asked if my replacement MP3 player had arrived.

Rep checked my receipt and said it had not arrived.

I asked, Do you know when it will arrive?

Rep said, No it is a special order. Maybe it is on our next truck.

I asked, Can you check if it is on your next truck?

Rep said, No we do not know is on the trucks and cannot check either, but you can come back when the truck arrives and we will know then.

Repeated the above 5 times. I call and emailed customer service. Response was all the same. At one point, customer service told me I had received the replacement MP3. This caused an extra trip to the store. (Now the 6th trip.)

Now I asked for refund.

Manager says, Ok we will give the refund and you can buy the MP3 player elsewhere. Oops never mind, this was a Special Order. We can give store credit or a gift card.

I said, I want this MP3 player, do you have it in stock?

Manager says, no it is not is stock.

I said, Well why would I want a store credit or a Gift Card. All I want is a working MP3 player. I told the manager that several other Circuit City Stores had the MP3 player in stock. Can we have one sent here

Manager says, No we cannot have one sent here but you drive and go get one.

(The nearest other store is 2.5 hours away)

Finally, the manager said he would issue a credit. I gave him the ORGINAL RECEIPT, and exchange receipt. He said, I need the credit card originally charged.

I said, Look up the receipt and issue the credit to that card. I already told you it was a gift on one of my first 5 visits.

Manager said, No card no credit, and since you started the exchange, in order to get a credit, your grandparents will need a copy of the exchange receipt.

Now my son is still waiting for an MP3 player that works.