Circle K / state issued foid card

Savoy, IL, United States Review updated:

I am a 32 year old woman, with piercings and tattoos. I walk into circle k on rt 45 at 9 am on feb 6th 2015 to buy a pack of cigarettes. The cashier was nice at first and greeted me right of the start. I provided my state issued by the state of police foid card. It has the exact same information as an id or drivers license, yet the cashier wouldnt except it. She then turned very rude and and called her manager over. Which was very rude as well. I will never go to circle k again, as the state of illinois will let me purchase bullets as well as guns, but a gas station wouldnt let me buy cigarettes with it.

Feb 6, 2015
Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Ju
      16th of Feb, 2015

    Circle K requires a valid State or Federal ID for anyone who appears under the age of 40 for the purchase of age restricted products as recommended by most states. Valid Identification is established on a state by state basis, and any Tobacco or Alcohol vendors receive a listing from their state on which forms of identification are acceptable.

    FOID cards are not accepted as state issued identifications under the law. States issue a booklet of acceptable IDs for Tobacco and Alcohol purchases. Per 720 IL CS 687, ""Government-issued identification" means a State driver's license, State identification card, passport, a military identification or an official naturalization or immigration document, such as an alien registration recipient card (commonly known as a "green card") or an immigrant visa."

    A list is provided by the Secretary of State for valid identification. There are often signs in SoS locations such as the BMV that state FOID Cards are not considered valid forms of identification. See Section B "Date of Birth" on the following link:

    As far as the clerk and manager's response, I'm sure that you were of course the most courteous customer to grace them. I am sure you didn't bring up being able to purchase firearms and ammunition with that ID. If this was indeed the case, I would recommend filing a customer complaint with that chain.

    +1 Votes

Post your comment