CIMB Bank / unauthorised transaction - debit card (atm card)

1 Malaysia Review updated:

My CIMB debit card was being charge twice by Netflix without my authorization. First unauthorized charge on 2 Jan 2016, I called to CIMB and the charge being cancelled. No additional action needs to be taken. Second unauthorized charge on 7 Jan 2016, I called to CIMB again and the operator ask me to make a police report and go to the nearest branch and fill in the dispute form. I disagree to the solution as I believe this is not the right way to solve this issue since I already launch the first complaint to them on 2 Jan 2016. And CIMB can allow the problem to repeat again. They should handling this problem seriously on the first place. This is their security breakage. The transaction can be performed by any anonymous even without so called OTP security feature. On 9 Jan 2016, I called to CIMB again and the operator told me to go to the nearest branch and fill in the dispute form. Change to new debit card and cost me RM12. May I know what is the alternative complaint channel as I don't think this is the right way on handling this issue. In fact, the bank should be immediately terminate the transaction, renew my debit card automatically without any charges. Review their security breakage problem to ensure no repeated problem happen to the same user. If anyone face the same problem, kindly share with me. With the current solution provided by them, there is no security for consumer putting our money on their bank as they can't even can protect us from unauthorized transaction due to their security breakage.

An
Jan 9, 2016

Comments

• Es
      27th of Feb, 2016

Hi, I had recently face the same problem as u. It was someone using my CIMB debit card at netflix twice! and they charged my debit card. They only called me once but I missed it as the line was bad. They left a voicemail but it was an indian guy singing! So i thought it was a wrong number that someone called so i ignored it. Today I tried loging in my cimb clicks but fail only I got to know they blocked my card. I have to go to CIMB branch and reissue my card and dont know will I get my money back or not. Im really dissapointed with CIMB bank. I am going to cancle the card after this! CIMB Bank is famous on their lousy security service.

By the way, did they charge your card on 7 jan? Did you get your refund after that? how long u have to wait?

8th of Mar, 2016

I need to go to the nearby branch and fill in some stupid form. My bloody hell the bank charges me RM12 fro the renewer of the ATM card.

• Ta
      17th of Mar, 2016

Hi, i had the same problem too. Netflix charged me twice (according to the bank record), but i only see 1 transaction from cimbclicks. called the customer center, they provided the same solutions: deactivate my debit card, ask me to make police report (rm2 charged for the report), go to the home branch to file in dispute form. Did all of those and got my new debit card without getting charged for the new debit card (have to provide the police report to the bank as an evidence and to waive the fee). Oh, please ask the bank officer to switch off the auto debit function too while you are at it to prevent the same thing from happening again (i rarely use this account, only for savings purpose). I think the syndicates found a loophole in cimb auto debit function and thus these cases happened. Got my money back after 1-3 weeks. P/s: i did mentioned in the police report that my purpose for the report is for bank's reference and i want to get my money back. Hope this helps.

• St
      4th of Apr, 2016

todayi experience the same thay my debit card was deducted rm51 by someone who hijacked my account...! i call cimb and they asked me to do the same like you guys..make a report n change th debut card costing rm12...i think this cost must be bared by .CIMB itself...totally disagree! i go to the bank n withdraw all my money there! stupid CIMB!!!

6th of Apr, 2016

I have to pay RM12 for the debit card renewal which I believe it is unfair.

For safety reason, you can ask them to disable the stupid debit card function. I never use debit card to purchase thing. I use credit card instead. So no point they give me stupid debit card function.

If not because my salary force to bank into CIMB, I will straight away terminate my account in CIMB. :(

• Me
      18th of Aug, 2016

My card was charged RM400+ for some Amazon prime membership. I received a sms alert me about the deduction at 12.26am. I called up CIMB the next morning and they told me the only thing they could do was to block and disable the debit card to avoid any FUTURE frauds. I told him not to block it first. I asked if I could retrieve the money, the call centre told me to go to the nearest branch to disable the card and to fill in a dispute form. I did as he told, I went to a branch and disabled my card. They charged me RM12 to issue a new debit card. I got the new card done in 15 minutes. They told me I MIGHT be able to retrieve my money in 45 working days, AFTER their investigation. Another funny thing is that when I went over to the branch and explained the whole thing to them, they told me they couldn't find the transaction! It wasn't in the floating charges too. But i received an SMS about it. That fraud was only shown in the system 2 days afterwards, and it was a different amount (differ by about rm20 or so due to the currency, maybe?)

Anyway, i think they handled this whole situation very badly. I have NO CONFIDENCE in their security system now. How can I get charged rm400+ without any security check or TAC, and the transaction was performed in US, and im in malaysia.

• Am
      28th of Aug, 2016

Same thing happen to me a few days ago (charged by Netflix too) Did you all get your refund?

• Sh
      29th of Aug, 2016

Hi all, same thing happen to me on yesterday (29 August 2016). Please don't depend on our SMART CIMB will refund to you. if this happen, you may request Netflix side to refund back the money to you. You may google Netflix and start Live Chat with their customer service personnel.
    I already requested refund from Netflix, it will be done within 7 working days around. (P.S I not yet received refund)
    Also, the personnel block my card in future transaction, transfer the Netflix account to my email, sign-out account from all device so that the hacker no longer can use this ID. The best thing is we can enjoy to use this ID for one-month period :)

• Am
      30th of Aug, 2016

Hey Shi Hou. Glad to know the merchant is helping you on this. I have also contacted the merchant and they too say they will process the refund within this week or next. Hopefully, we will get our money back.

• Um
      27th of Nov, 2016

Happen to me, unauthorized payment of MYR 500 made in US using my debit card number poor security system bank.they ask me to wait for 3 month to get a refund ... seriously ridiculous going to terminate the bank account.

• Rh
      1st of Dec, 2016

Hi all,
    my problem is same with u all.. in my opinion, we should also complaint the poor security system bank. How come cimb allow the payment transaction? I dont know Where is the right medium to complaint regarding this matter? I dont want simply to pay for the renewal card because thats not my fault. Wasting my money n my time. Please help this is not fair

• Kh
      2nd of Dec, 2016

I received a few unauthorised transaction messages from CIMB. I called CIMB immediately to report the incidents. This is the 2nd time I encountered this fraud. I give up to apply for a new card. very lousy security service! 😤😤

• Te
      26th of Apr, 2018

Hi all, may i know the money cal get back???