Cigna Insurance / Back Surgery Denied

United States Review updated:

Needed back surgery and it was denied because Cigna decided that the procedure was expermental. So after alot of sending in alot of medical proof they only approved for me to have half a surgery and the hardware. The only problemwith this was putting in the hardware was denied again. What do I need with the hardware put it in a bag and bring it home to look at. Cigna is one of the worst insurance companies I have ever dealt with. Also this surgery has been done in the US for 10 years so when is it considering not expermental?

Su

Comments

• Ra
      Jul 10, 2009

Randy Anson --this is a scam. Rip of of premiums from Randy Anson

• In
      Sep 04, 2012

Cigna had approved my spinal fusion back surgery September 6. 2012 and 4 days before my date they turned around and denied surgery. Reason was for procedure was experimental. I try to call hopelessly crying for help. I am crawling in pain. Cigna speak to pre-certification board and I was on hold for 2hours. When I finally reached someone and told them my experiment I was hung up on. I called again and was hung up on again. I Needed back surgery and it was denied because Cigna decided that the procedure was experimental. So after a lot of sending in a lot of medical proof they only approved for me to have half a surgery. The only problem with this was putting in the hardware was denied again. What do I do? Cigna is one of the worst insurance companies I have ever dealt with. Also this surgery has been done in the US for 10 years so when is it considering not experimental? After my first appeal I will seek lawyer. I paid them lots of money. Been working at my job for 9years and got screwed by Cigna.
    -Dallas33girl

• Ci
      Nov 10, 2012

hi Dallas33girl, although the service us considered experimental - Cigna should pay for this. if your first appeal didnt work - asked your doctor to initiate a peer to peer review with our Medical director. ty

• Mo
      Jan 21, 2013

It appears that Cigna has a pattern of doing this. My husband is facing the exact same problem. Cigna's letter of denial did not make sense and contained many inconsistencies. When we call Cigna, no one will answer our questions. His doctor did a peer to peer. Denied. He submitted huge amounts of documentation, but was denied by a doctor who admittedly was not a spinal surgeon. Further appeal was submitted, but Cigna is dragging their feet and delaying. Meanwhile, my husband's condition continues to deteriorate to the point he may lose the use of his right leg. He is in screaming pain, but the only commentary from Cigna continues to be, "We are reviewing the case, and we will call you when the review is completed."