Chess Telecom / Disconection fraud

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I have been using this company for several years to make cheap international calls and have paid them by direct debit.
Some moths ago I found a much cheaper provider I phoned up Chess Telecome asking for their service to be disconected. I was told that I have a 'contract' untill 5th of June 2013. This is despite me not having spoken to this company ever since I started using them. I do not remember signing any contract even back then.
Today I phone them to make sure that I am finally over with them but they now say that a £99 disconection fee on top of a contract cancellation fee applies.
Many thanks

Ya
Jun 3, 2013

Comments

• Mr
      29th of May, 2014

they've just illegally withdrawn £1.300 pounds out of my bank account without my permission via DDR (usually £20 a month)... Barclays are getting it back, from a phone line that has near zero usage and now the property is due for demolition hence terminating any such service, I had my arm bent to take it on as Select calls say three years ago from which Chess bought, / salvaged the customer list. .

• Da
      31st of Jul, 2014

I am not surprised by any of these complains. Chess has let us down badly. Misinformation, setting new 24 month contract when nobody requested one. They do not call when they say they will. They do not reply to letters. All they do is try to bully you into staying with them. As a business man myself I would not expect my customers to pay for my incompetence. I await the court summons!

• Nw
      12th of Nov, 2014

I agree totally with the complaints I have seen so far. I had two lines with them - one at the office and a separate line at my work shops.
    My office line went down completely on the 4th May 2013 with loss of broadband and even with two day intervals of phoning it was four - yes four months before we had a serviceable line were we could connect with the internet...Ha is that a business line. I had to shift the office work into the workshop during that period just to submit things like VAT returns and RTI submissions now a legal requirement for business.
    The excuses were quite inventive sometimes and all this on a service which they proudly boast as a professional business deal.
    I eventually was promised a slight refund which was supposed to go back into my bank but never did which was a single month's broadband fee..this firm's a sick joke.
    Now also they want £99.00 disconnection fee. Would you pay it !
    Somewhat annoyed N.Whiteley