Charter One Bank / inactive account fee

One Citizens DrRiverside, RI, United States
Phone: 877.242.7837
Today, August 21, 2008 I received a notification dated August 18, 2008 that effective September 1, 2008 my account which happens to be a Certificate of Deposit that doesn't mature until October, will be charged a $30 fee for being an inactive account. The letter starts out by stating: Dear Customer, We want you to get the most out of your accounts with us... blah, blah, blah, therefore we are going to screw you over by charging you $30 because you haven't deposited any additional funds in your CD since you opened it...and you can't close out your account prior to this date without paying a penalty for early withdrawal. The letter goes on to state that even if the account becomes active again, they will still charge the fee. Also, this amounts to only a 10 day notification of a change in policy. What a crock of crap. I plan on filing complaints with the Federal Reserve Board as well as the State Attorney General. If this were a savings account or a checking account I maybe could understand the fee, but not on a CD account. I have many bank accounts with several different institutions and have never been treated like this.
Bi