Charter Communications / internet service outages
We moved into our house a month ago, and signed up with Charter for super-fast (20mbps) internet service, since I work from home and need access to the internet on a regular basis to do research and generally conduct business.
We have been immensely disappointed with the service, which a) is almost never as fast as advertised, and b) suffers from regular outages that prevent the internet from working at all.
Since we've moved in, there have been an average of THREE NIGHTS/WEEK where the internet just completely goes down and nothing is accessible. This also happens sometimes during the day, which is wreaking havoc on my ability to conduct business.
Charter's tech support is incredibly unhelpful, since the only thing they can do is set up service appointments (and they can't even do THAT when there's a "declared outage" in the area). Of course when the techs come out, they come at a time when the internet appears to be working fine, so they can't diagnose any problem. That's because the problem is that it's not a problem with my house or my equipment...it's Charter's terrible internet service system! We run high-end computers, with high-end routers, and we even bought our own high-end modem to see if that would fix the problem. When none of that works, I have to assume that Charter's internet service is to blame for the problems.
This is a systemic problem that Charter does not appear interested in addressing; when I call tech support, they say there is no way for them to escalate the call, and that I should go into a local office. Trouble is, the local office is AN HOUR away from me (and an hour away from the nearest metro area as well).
I am extremely disappointed with Charter, and am seriously considering switching to some sort of satellite service, despite the fact that their advertised internet speeds are much slower, and we've had satellite before and hated it.
More Charter Communications Complaints & Reviews
- Charter Communications - hard core porn shows on tv 
- Charter Communications - service outages 
- Charter Communications - being charged for returned equipment & the worst customer service/follow thru 
- Charter Communications - numerous problems with charter communications 
- Charter Communications - fraud and cheating! 
- Charter Communications - sewer line damage by spectrum contractor
- Charter Communications - internet 
- Charter Communications - installation debacle
- Charter Communications - burying cable
- Charter Communications - delivery of equipment response when late