Certegy / denied personal check

1 6Erie, PA, United States

I had a horrible experience when shopping at a local Dicks Sporting Goods retailer. I shop there frequently, but usually use cash for transactions. I made $153 in purchases and submitted a personal check for payment - the clerk asked me for several forms of identification along with the check which I was in complete compliance with of course. I gave the clerk my driver's liscense and social security number - address, phone number and date of birth. ALL OF WHICH HE VERBALIZED OVER THE TELEPHONE TO AN AUTHORIZATION AGENT FROM CERTEGY! Not only was my personal information shared with the rest of the public standing in line behind me, but my check was denied. Knowing that I had plenty of funds to cover this check - I was mortified. I called my bank, Dicks Sporting Goods corportate offices and found that I needed to speak with Certegy. I got nothing but the run around from certegy. Customer service could not tell me why my check was denied other than it was flagged for some kind of profile to protect me from fraud and identity theft. Did I not just mention that I provided several forms of identification for them... This is beyond ridiculous. My itention is to reach retailers who use Certegy Check verification service to let them know that this is routine practice for them and that they should look for better service with another service. I also observed that there are several class action lawsuits with sizeable settlements against Certegy - I wonder why! I believe I may have another suit for them. How about the breech of confidentiality that I experienced?!