Certegy / certegy cost me $500 cash

St Petersburg FL, United States

On January 29, 2015 I paid for a $500 Moneygram money order as I have every month for the last four years at the Stuart, FL Walmart. Walmart associate Ashley misunderstood and gave me one for $400 and another for $100. Within 10 seconds, I immediately requested to exchange them for one $500 money order. I was instructed to make the money orders out to Walmart. When Ashley put it in the system, CERTEGY sent a message that they would not guarantee the checks. The three customer service managers and two assistant managers spent more than two hours trying to figure out what to do. I suggested that I sign over the checks and let one of the managers try to cash them with their information. They refused. I finally called the Stuart police and filed a report of theft. At one point, a Walmart associate put me on the phone with a representative from CERTEGY. I asked why they would not approve the checks, especially since I had never bounced a check or been accused of fraud in my life. They said it may have been because I tried to cash them too quickly. I asked them to override it and they refused. They told me that Walmart could cash them if they wanted to and they also told that to the Walmart associate. Walmart refused. CERTEGY then suggested that I take the checks to a check cashing store to see if maybe they would honor the checks that were made out to Walmart. I explained that I had no identification that would authorize me to cash a check made out to Walmart. After 2.5 hours, I finally left the store without money orders or my $500. No one at the store or Certegy offered me any kind of resolution or follow-up information. I left my contact information and no one has attempted to contact me. At one point, I asked the CERTEGY associate to transfer me to the supervisor. After a long wait, I wasted another twenty minutes attempting to explain the situation to someone that I thought was a supervisor only to find out that he was just another associate.
CERTEGY was negligent and apathetic in their response to a fiasco that they created. It was not surprising to find "! There is an alert for this business !" on bbb.org, which also does not accredit CERTEGY. In spite of the thousands of complaints, they refuse to improve their incompetent and fraudulent services.

Wa