Centurylink Dsl / ultra unreliable service

FL, United States Review updated:

I have had CenturyLink DSL in two of my rental homes for several years. I am an engineering director with expert level knowledge in networking. Over the past couple of years CenturyLink DSL with Static IP service has become ultra unreliable. I use the service to provide wireless internet service to guests in my rental homes but more importantly I use it to control HVAC, Swiming pool, Lawn Sprinklers, alarm system and security cameras remotly from Connecticut. The service has gone down 4 times in the past two years for periods exceeding a week and in one instance over two weeks. In every case it was a failure of CenturyLink equipment or programming errors at Century link office. Since I live 1500 miles from these two homes the script driven tech support is TOTALLY USELESS. I am currently experiencing an outtage at my home along with several surrounding homes with no end in sight. I am now exploring every possible option to get out of DSL hell. The support is in describably bad, on one (of many) occasion(s) after spending a week arguing with tech support i flew to Florida and met with them the Level 2 tech promised never showed up. Instead they sent a unqualified level 1 tech to investigate why my staticIP connection did not work. When he left he had disabled my phone service and reconfigured my DSL for dynamic IP, making the problem worse. I then had to call tech support AGAIN and beg to talk to a level 2 tech. After an hour on the phone the level 2 tech determined that the origional problem was that someone had accidentally deleted my account from the servers and switches. I had two more similar incidents over the past two years and I am currently enduring a fourth incident. I have totally had it with this company.

Lo

Comments

• Lo
      8th of May, 2012

Update. I got service back yeasterday after my wife insisted that the technicial check to see if they had mis programmed line back to a dynamic IP AGAIN. This has been the end cause of all four extended outtages. Apparently when there is a problem inthe system they fix the issue making sure that all of the dynamic IP customers are restored but do not check on everyone. Until she refused to get off the phone till teh tech checked we continued to get the run around. This one took 3 calls a day for 5 days to fix total outtage time was 5 days. Cause Software error.