Cash Net USA / collections insanity

TX, United States Review updated:

July 30 - A law firm for Cash Net USA called me 18 times after I told them I could pay them $100 on August 15, and $100 a month until the $900 balance is paid in full. These are all the numbers they used. They ARE from Cash Net because they had my SS#, Checking Account number, etc. They called my bank and pretended to be me and tried to authorize a payment!!! My bank called me immediately and put a red flag warning on my account.

[protected] - 6
[protected] - 1

Comments

•   Aug 01, 2011

Hi Texas tornado,

As an employee of CashNetUSA, I can tell you that what you’re experiencing sounds like a debt collection scam and is NOT coming from CashNetUSA. The phone numbers you listed are not phone numbers owned or operated by us. Please call 888.801.9075 to speak with a CashNetUSA fraud team member and provide us with the details of the incident that we can share with authorities. Our in-house collectors follow strict policies and procedures, industry best practices, and comply with the law, one of the reasons why our customer satisfaction ratings are so high.

How to Identify a Debt Collection Scam
    Debt collection scammers use CashNetUSA and other established company names to lend legitimacy to their calls. Here is a link to our security alert regarding debt collection scams: http://www.cashnetusa.com/consumer-notices. See below on how to assess whether your call(s) are from fake collectors and information on what to do about these calls.

Recognizing Fake Collectors
    You should be suspicious that a collection caller is fraudulent if:
    · You have never received a cash advance from/through CashNetUSA, Payday Advance, Cashland, Cash America or SuperPawn.
    · You received a loan with one of our businesses, but paid it back in full.
    · The caller threatens violence, intimidation or uses foul language.
    · The caller threatens arrest or other criminal action, or references your driver’s license or check fraud.
    · The caller threatens to garnish your wages.
    · The caller is unable or unwilling to provide loan agreement information or payment history when you ask for it.

According to some of the people who have received fraudulent collection calls, the callers:
    · Have a strong Indian (Asian), Middle Eastern, or other foreign accent
    · Read out your bank account, Social Security Number or date of birth (this is done by the fake collector to show legitimacy)
    · Has very poor English speaking skills

Reporting a Fraudulent Collector Call
    · If you have never received a loan from/through CashNetUSA, please call 888.801.9075 to provide us with the details of the incident that we can share with authorities.
    · If you have never received a loan from/through Cash America, Payday Advance, Cashland or Super Pawn, please call 800.773.3147 Ext 3822 to provide us the details of the incident that we can share with authorities.
    · Contact your State Attorney General’s office and the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint. Use the FTC link https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and reference “fake payday collection fraud.”
    · Do not give out any personal information to inbound callers.
    · Tell fraudulent callers that you have contacted the authorities and that you have been instructed not to pay or give out any personal information.
    · If you are a current CashNetUSA customer, log in to your online personal account to confirm the status of previous loans. If you are a current Cash America, Payday Advance, Cashland or SuperPawn customer, please contact the customer service number located on your loan documentation.

For more information, please refer to the CFSA or Better Business Bureau websites or read this consumer alert from the West Virginia Attorney General’s Office. The FTC has also published a list of Debt Collection Questions and Answers to help consumers found at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm .

I hope this information helps, and please call our numbers above with any questions.

Finally, please know that this information is not provided by a lawyer and is not intended to be legal advice.

Nov 11, 2011

This just happened to me! The person had very poor communication and knew my name (maiden name and previous home address). When I pushed back on him as to how he gained my contact information, he hung up on me. He threatened a lawsuit.