[Resolved] Carnival Cruise Linesrequesting full refund

I'm an avid cruiser. I have been on about 13 cruises. 10 + have been on Carnival Fun Ships because I enjoy Carnival Cruises more than any other cruise line. I've never cancelled any bookings because I love to go on cruises. Unfortunately, I cancelled my booking for January 4-13 due to an unforeseen circumstance.
I'm a single mother with very limited support from my family. My 18 year daughter Mikayla travels with me most of the time. This year, the plan was for Mikayla to stay home so she can take a nursing assistant course. She is enrolled in that particular class because that class is the only class she can take since she's in college (she will be on winter break at that time). My cousin was supposed to stay with Mikayla and look after her, however she just informed me last week that she's no longer able to look after Mikayla because she has to go out of town from December 30-January 18 to care for a family member that will be recuperating from surgery.
Ordinarily, I would have booked the trip to to include Mikayla but, this class is very important to Mikayla. I can not leave Mikayla with no supervision. Even though Mikayla will be 19 at the time, she's still my child and my only child! She's is the person that matters the most to me in my life. Additionally, I don't believe she's mature enough or have the life skills to be able to handle an emergency with her mother (the only responsible person in her life) is on on a ship in the middle Caribean sea. Conversely, I could never go on vacation and leave her alone under those circumstances. I would not enjoy mysel[censored] I would be worried sick the entire time and would probably be in your infirmary panic stricken the entire time.
On 11/16, I received a refund of $841.80. I was penalized $649. I'm writing this letter this letter to request a refund of $649 penalty since this situation was beyond my control and I could use the money. I have never cancelled a cruise before and I'm so upset that I won't be going on vacation. I haven't been on vacation this year and because of my work schedule and vacations are already scheduled for 2019. I won't be able to go on vacation in 2019. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration to this matter. Happy Holidays.
Demitria Watkins
Booking #2QJJ59

• Resolution statement

• Carnival Cruise Lines Customer Care's Response, Dec 03, 2018

Dear Ms. Watkins,

We are sorry to hear you will be unable to sail onboard the Carnival Sunshine as scheduled.

It is for this reason that we strongly encourage guests to purchase the Carnival Vacation protection plan to protect them from these kinds of potential losses. Although not all reasons are covered for monetary reimbursement it does carry a cancel for any reason which entitles the covered guests to a 75% future cruise credit of the penalty assessed.

Sincerely,