Carbonite / Refuse to refund

United States Review updated:

I purchased CARBONITE on line back up service for $99.00. After numerous hours on line with their tech rep and numerous e-mails the product will still not work properly.

When I asked for a refund I got a long e-mail advising me to read their refund policy and asking for access to my computer in an attempt to solve the problem. Their product is not worth the effort STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Fr

Comments

• Da
      2nd of Feb, 2010

Why didn't you download Carbonite's free trial prior to purchasing the annual subscription?

I downloaded and installed the free trial software and after seeing that Carbonite's online backup worked perfectly, I purchased the $99 two-year subscription rather than the $55 one-year subscription.

Did you give Carbonite remote access to your computer? If I were you, I would have done that. I think you are probably making some incorrect choices in the backup procedure and Carbonite can resolve the issue for you.

• Cb
      15th of Dec, 2010

I purchased a three year plan of Carbonite for my Mac. The hard drive on my Powerbook Pro failed and Carbonite recovered folders that were empty. Several attempts resulted in no recovered files. Carbonite also slowed my computer. Carbonite would not refund my subscription. Had to send my hard drive off to a California data recovery business where they recovered all my photos, e-mials and files. Carbonite would not reimburse me for that expense either. I wrote Rush L. and told him of my experience as Carbonite is a big advertiser. American Express refunded my subscription amount and I wait for small claims for the rest. DO NOT DEPEND ON CARBONITE. YOU CAN'T GET IT BACK EVEN IF YOU PAID TO BACK IT UP.

• Mu
      2nd of May, 2011

I had the same problem. Carbonite worked for awhile and then, with no changes to my computer, the backup freezes and requires reinstall. I've spent a lot of time with customer support without it being fixed. I asked for a refund and they also referred me their lengthy rules - bottom line, no refund. I'll chalk this up to a bad life experience - wouldn't recommend Carbonite to anybody.

• Ba
      18th of Mar, 2012
    Carbonite - Carbonite Refused to Cancel My Subscription
    Carbonite

Approximately 5:00 to 5:15 PM, March 18, 2012 I asked to cancel my Carbonite subscription and get a refund for the unused portion. They refused because my reasons were "political" not "technical". Here is the actual transcript of my conversation with their technical support

• Go
      19th of May, 2012

BUYER BEWARE - Customer service was poor and contradictory. Service was not as advertised and failed me for almost a year with no notification. Filed a complaint.