Menu

reviews & complaints

Carbonite Complaints Summary

3 Resolved
5 Unresolved
Our verdict: Engaging with Carbonite, which has a below-average resolution rate, demands caution. Thoroughly assess their service reviews and explore how they handle unresolved complaints. If you encounter issues, document your experiences meticulously and be persistent in seeking resolutions.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Carbonite has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Carbonite. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Carbonite complaints 8

Sort by:

Newest Carbonite reviews & complaints

W
12:06 pm EST

Carbonite carbonite safe basic

today I discovered Carbonite has not backed up any of my computer files since 6/12/2020 despite my having paid automatic billings of $71.99 on 11/30/2019 and $83.89 on 11/28/2020. Carbonite Support claims I was sent e-mail mid October 2021 warning me of problems with my backup but do not recall any such mailing. The only mailing I recall is from 10/30/2021 alerting me to upcoming subscription auto-renewal which occurred 11/29/2021 for $83.99. Carbonite is being re-installed on my computer as I type this. However Carbonite refused through Carbonite Support to consider any refund for prior bills paid despite the fact that I received no services for those bills In paid. They should have refunded half of 11/30/2019 payment and all of 11/28/2020 payment. That is what I expect...nothing more but also nothing less. Support tried to tell me my files were still accumulating on Carbonite's server even though Carbonite itself was seeing no evidence of file backup since 6/12/2020. Deceptive double-talk...rubbish!

Desired outcome: refund of $120

W
4:29 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Carbonite Customer support and reinstall

Carbonite has not backed up my computer since april 16. I have downloaded a reinstallation many times over many weeks.
I finally decided to contact them. I discovered because people are working from home, there is no one to answer their support phone. And, I have not found a way to get a chat or and email address.
Nice that they have a huge page of awards won by their support service, but apparently they no longer offer support.

I
4:24 pm EDT

Carbonite Carbonite safe

We have been using Mozy with success for years. After Carbonite brought them and moved the account over to Carbonite Safe it has been failing to back up our server on a regular basis. Each time we have to restart the server and then it goes back to working for week or so then stops again.

I called Carbonite to cancel which they are willing to do but they do not prorate a refund or offer any money back whatsoever. In this case it amounts to approximately $200 they keep for providing no service on a cancelled account. They say we are outside the 30 day window for refunds. Yes we have been using for more than 30 days but were moved over from Mozy so had no idea it would not work on a reliable basis. Lack of a refund in this case...well draw your own conclusions about the moral integrity of this company and vote with your dollars to go elsewhere.

S
10:00 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Carbonite BAD Product - BAD service

First date of Purchase: February 14, 2010
Second renewal date: February 14, 2011

First time I tried to Restore backed up files: September 2011
(prior to this I thought all items were backed up AND AS LONG AS I DID NOT NEED MY FILES EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE OKAY – my account showed over 10, 000 files backed up – so I THOUGHT I was safe – WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!)

Carbonite’s false advertising claims are numerous on their website. THE FACTS: They could NOT restore ANY OF MY FILES EVEN AFTER HOURS ON WITH TECH SUPPORT! They could not tell me WHY my account showed over 10, 000 files backed up BUT could not find any. Because I had saved a few files to my “C” drive the jumped on that and said “oh well it’s your fault because we don’t back up the “C” drive only document files.” Firstly, how would I know it would not back up FILES located on “C” drive, secondly that only represented a small portion of the files saved to my documents.

I have voluminous emails from Bo who is tier 2 tech support – what a joke!

I received excuse, after excuse, after excuse, after excuse. They even called my computer person because he had my old lap top to try to save what they could from my old laptop – and take up his time – DID THEY THINK HE WORKS FOR FREE!? Where were/are my backed up files?

Quotes from website:
Installation:
Installing Carbonite on your computer is easy. The software takes you through the quick setup process step-by-step. You won't need to restart your computer or close anything you're working on. Just select automatic setup during installation and Carbonite will take care of the rest.
Once you install Carbonite, you’ll never have to remember to back up again. The automatic backup runs continually in the background, backing up new and changed files whenever your computer is connected to the internet.

All of the above is false advertising and/or I was told lies from tech support. I was told by Bo (he would not give me his last name) that unless I selected the files for backup it would not. The website says it backs up “new and changed files whenever your computer is connected”. I again was told by “Bo” that unless I selected new files it would not back up. How could I possible know that the files were not being backed up when my account showed thousands of files as backed up….

Quotes from the website:
If your computer crashes, is stolen, or just dies...
From your new or fixed computer, just log in to Carbonite.com and click "Restore". You’ll be taken step by step through the process of putting your files back where they belong
This claim held no resemblance to what happened. The files were not restore although SOME of my emails were restore (with many days of emails that were missing….).

I had a virus on my computer that actually wiped out much of the files on my computer. I ran virus scan and for the first time tried to “restore” the over 10, 000 files that had been backed up. I had MUCH difficulty with this and spent several hours on the phone with tech support (each time I was on with tech support my hold time BEFORE talking to someone was at least 1 hour). When on line with tech support and it was closing time I was basically dumped (they close at 5:00 after all….)
What they don’t tell you is that if you have a virus on your computer that virus is uploaded and then when you restore files it ALSO DOWNLOADS THE VIRUS! At least this is what I was told by “Bo” with no last name.
I requested to be reimbursed for the time the computer tech person spent on the phone with Carbonite and the time that he spent trying to spend trying to salvage files from my old laptop. They refused. I also wanted to be reimbursed for the hours and hours that I spent on hold and talking with tech support (remember they only work from 8 to 5 which is also MY work day and I am self-employed). I will spend hours and hours trying to recreate the files that I had and some will be lost forever to include family photos all because I believed the advertising found on their website.
I sent the complaint to the president of the company Mr. David Friend and his response was to have someone call me to offer still more excuses.

I have lost my files, been forced to pay a computer person when they called him, spent hours/days on the phone to no avail – they have done untold damage. This is the biggest company rip off that I have ever encountered.

The company does NOT do what it advertised. Tech support is sloppy, ineffective and only available 8 hours per day (less on weekends) and hold times exceed one hour for each call!

Read full review of Carbonite and 1 comment
1 comment
J
J
Jb136
Dec 06, 2011 6:04 am EST

Did you not have an antivirus program?

12:31 pm EDT

Carbonite Loses my logon information/ horrendous customer service

Unbelievable. I have been using Carbonite over the last year. Due to my computer crashing I lost the backup program that runs on my computer. I contacted Carbonite online via chat because their phone support was not available on Saturday evening.
I was told by the chat representative to uninstall the program then go to their website, log on and then reinstall.
PROBLEM: Carbonite would not accept my email in the logon screen telling me that had no record of my email
ANOTHER PROBLEM: This chat person assured me that the email address I was using was correct and I should just go ahead and log on
ANOTHER PROBLEM: He obviously was not paying attention because I told him clearly that the address was not being accepted.
I went around in circles with this guy. He refused to get me a manager. He told me I would have to wait 2 DAYS! to hear back from their customer service department to assist me. Can you believe that!

An error on their end is costing me valuable back up time. I cannot back up any files until I hear from them.

WHAT I DID NEXT: After an hour of stupidity I logged off the chat, and tried again, hoping I would chat with someone who might actually be able to help me. NO! Same thing, different person. EXCEPT: After I threatened to begin lodging complaints about their company they promised me I would receive an email in 2 hours with the password reset imformation. AGAIN, I'd like to remind you that this problem was on THEIR END only and I am a PAYING CUSTOMER who has put my total trust in their service.

NEXT PROBLEM: Did I get the email? NO!

WHAT I DID NEXT: I went back online today and demanded they send me the email that was promised to me. Again I'm told by the chat person that it will have to wait until tomorrow. WHAT KIND OF A COMPANY PROMISED THINGS TO ITS CUSTOMERS BUT REFUSES TO DELIVER AND MAKE GOOD ON THEIR PROMISES? What else is Carbonite up to? What are they doing that we don't know about with our files we're entrusting them with?

ANOTHER PROBLEM: What is the point of 24 hour chat support if they can't help you with a log on malfunction that is on their end?

FINALLY: They make you wait to get answers on the chat screen while they are helping who knows how many other people, even if they are the ones causing you inconvenience. Carbonite needs to hire the right people who know what they're doing. Not just someone who has been trained to say "the right things" .

I'll be looking for another backup company and suggest if you are considering using Carbonite, that you do the same.

All I can say is that they will need to reimburse me for the amazing amount of inconvenience and frustration I 've experienced with them.

Read full review of Carbonite and 1 comment
1 comment
Freerk
, NL
Aug 22, 2011 7:42 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

IF you consider an other backup product : take a look at LiveSafer (www.neverloseafile.com) With iveSafer you can create your own on-line backup without the monthly cost. Regards, Freerk

7:32 am EST

Carbonite Refuse to refund

I purchased CARBONITE on line back up service for $99.00. After numerous hours on line with their tech rep and numerous e-mails the product will still not work properly.

When I asked for a refund I got a long e-mail advising me to read their refund policy and asking for access to my computer in an attempt to solve the problem. Their product is not worth the effort STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Read full review of Carbonite and 5 comments

5 comments
B
B
bashamjm
Lexington Park, US
Mar 18, 2012 3:52 pm EDT

Approximately 5:00 to 5:15 PM, March 18, 2012 I asked to cancel my Carbonite subscription and get a refund for the unused portion. They refused because my reasons were "political" not "technical". Here is the actual transcript of my conversation with their technical support

GoG-Man
Nunya Town, US
May 19, 2012 2:05 pm EDT

BUYER BEWARE - Customer service was poor and contradictory. Service was not as advertised and failed me for almost a year with no notification. Filed a complaint.

M
M
Murray2
Fairhope, US
May 02, 2011 11:29 pm EDT

I had the same problem. Carbonite worked for awhile and then, with no changes to my computer, the backup freezes and requires reinstall. I've spent a lot of time with customer support without it being fixed. I asked for a refund and they also referred me their lengthy rules - bottom line, no refund. I'll chalk this up to a bad life experience - wouldn't recommend Carbonite to anybody.

CBF
Augusta, US
Dec 15, 2010 12:21 am EST

I purchased a three year plan of Carbonite for my Mac. The hard drive on my Powerbook Pro failed and Carbonite recovered folders that were empty. Several attempts resulted in no recovered files. Carbonite also slowed my computer. Carbonite would not refund my subscription. Had to send my hard drive off to a California data recovery business where they recovered all my photos, e-mials and files. Carbonite would not reimburse me for that expense either. I wrote Rush L. and told him of my experience as Carbonite is a big advertiser. American Express refunded my subscription amount and I wait for small claims for the rest. DO NOT DEPEND ON CARBONITE. YOU CAN'T GET IT BACK EVEN IF YOU PAID TO BACK IT UP.

Daisy Mariposa
Mission Viejo, US
Feb 02, 2010 7:47 am EST

Why didn't you download Carbonite's free trial prior to purchasing the annual subscription?

I downloaded and installed the free trial software and after seeing that Carbonite's online backup worked perfectly, I purchased the $99 two-year subscription rather than the $55 one-year subscription.

Did you give Carbonite remote access to your computer? If I were you, I would have done that. I think you are probably making some incorrect choices in the backup procedure and Carbonite can resolve the issue for you.

4:24 pm EST

Carbonite Lost my files

Carbonite Online Backup advertises, "Computer users should not have to think about backup or choosing which files are important enough to be saved" so I chose them to back up my company files. Everything seemed to work smoothly until I accidentally deleted some very important files. When I contacted them, they told me that the big important files should have been handled differently and I was out of luck. Now I have to pay to try to have them found and saved when I was trying to be pro-active and prevent this from happening. Unfortunately all were lost and I am out the fee's I spent to protect them.

Read full review of Carbonite and 4 comments

4 comments
R
R
Randy 1
Dec 26, 2016 7:30 am EST

ANYONE RELYING ON CARBONITE TO STORE YOUR INFORMTION IS BEING LIED TO. CARBONITE LOST OVER 15, 000 PHOTOS OF MINE & TOLD ME "UNFORTUNATELY WE LOST ALL YOUR PHOTOS". THE ONLY RECOURSE THEY OFFERED WAS TO REFUND MY LAST YEARS $59 FEE. DON'T TRUST ANYTHING TO CARBONITE!

don't trust carbonite
Camp Hill, US
Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have had certain critically important files on my computer for over 10 years. These are vital business ideas I keep in a MSWord document. Everytime I have a great idea I add it to this file so my children can benefit from. For years I backed up using external hard drives, and although cumbersome, I never lost any files. So I choose carbonite to make things "easier". I probably was using Carbonite for a least one year so everything was backed up, without question. Then my computer failed and I had to restore all my files using carbonite. I went to access a few critical files after this and they were gone. After spending over 2 hours online with carbonite and with their phone support, and after going through all the processes they sent in their email support, these files are GONE FOREVER! And I'm estimating these ideas were worth TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to me and my family. The morale of my story: DO NOT TRUST CARBONITE WITH YOUR IMPORTANT FILES. If you use them use a secondary backup service as well to make sure you are covered. Or back up your very important files manually to CD, DVD or a hard drive. Do not trust carbonite. Period.

L
L
loritaott
Banning, US
Dec 05, 2010 10:49 pm EST

I can't figure out if installing carbonite caused my computer to lose it's data or it having carbonite has saved me. But I installed carbonite and within 2 weeks I came in to my computer, pushed the on button and AMAZING! NO DOCUMENTS. This has never happened. Then a month later the same thing has happened. My desktop looks totally strange. What is happening? is my computer hacked? Do I have a virus? Did Carbonite kill my computer?

Carbonite stinks
Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm EDT

I am having a terrible time getting any service from Carbonite. Several days ago my email account was wiped out along with pictures and some books. I have tried everything to get them to restore them.
First, after waiting in line on the phone through 12 people ahead of me, I reached some guy in India who I couldn't understand. I told him to connect me with someone who's 1st lanquage was English and he said he would transfer me. He put me on the same line I was on in the first place and they said there were 16 people ahead of me. I hung up.
The next day I tried a "live chat". A guy named Jack told me if he could control my computer, he could restore my email. When he got done, my email was one of the icons on my home page but now I can't get into it because it is in some kind of code. I think Carbonite is worthless.

S
5:06 pm EDT

Carbonite Loss my files!

Please digg my story:

If you accidentally delete or otherwise lose files, it takes just a few clicks on your desktop to get them back. If your computer is damaged, stolen or "just dies" and you lose all your files, just visit Carbonite's website from a new computer. Within minutes you'll be able to begin restoring all your files.
As seen on: Carbonite.com

Have you considered how much of your life is on your computer? Photos, emails, music, financial records, documents, and so much more. How would you feel if you woke up tomorrow and everything was gone?
As seen on: Why Carbonite

The irony is overwhelming.

In the 2 years that I have had my Carbonite subscription I have only had to restore files once I think. There were countless files on my Carbonite backup drive. I went to restore a few files today and was shocked to see that nothing was available. Carbonite says that they have ZERO files available for me to restore.

I promptly went to Carbonite and logged into my account. Yes, I took initiative because customer support is always a nightmare with any company. I was not able to restore any files so I sent an email to Carbonite support:

Carbonite has been great up until recently. To say the very least, I am furious right now. I renewed my subscription for "billy-pc" and it states that my backup contains ZERO files!?!? (screenshot attached).

Furthermore, when I go to restore files it shows two drives which also contain ZERO files!

I have recently added my mac pro to my carbonite account but as of right now I think that was a waste of money if my files are not as safe as you make them out to be.

I do customer support myself and I know it sucks to deal with angry customers but it appears that all of my files... over a year of backed up data is gone. I am sure you can understand what kind of fury that would cause...

What can you do about this?

Read full review of Carbonite and 7 comments
View 0 more photos

7 comments
P
P
Phillip Saul
Jun 11, 2019 12:25 pm EDT

Can these 2 items of 06.03.2019 at 11 : 53.17 be returned to me?

For an unknown reason I lost all of my items. 266 were fully returned except for 2.

Respectfully,
Phillip Saul

GoG-Man
Nunya Town, US
May 19, 2012 2:04 pm EDT

DT99
Aug 21, 2011 6:14 am EDT

They also delete all your files if you do not renew within 30 days. I had an issue that kept me from auto renewing and lost all my backup files.

K
K
Keller Williams
Akron, US
Mar 18, 2011 6:37 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had tried, for three days, to restore my data. I finally called Carbonite to find out why my restore was being stopped before all of my files where restored.

The first help came from India...a very personable man. My computer was the problem and we resolved the issue. So I thought. Again, only partial restore; 15000 of 97000 files restored. Call service again.

This time I got Patty M, a rude, condescening b----! She would not let me explain what has transpired with my previous call and started asking all sorts or irrelevant questions. As I continued to explain, she cut me off and told me to listen to her...basically, shut up and listen dummy. This set the tone of the balance of the conversation...I asked her name, she said Patty, I asked "what is your last name?" She replied M. I said that is not a name. She said I don't give out my name and I don't have too, then hangup on me. Some service and support huh?

I am going with Mozy when my subscription expires and cancelled my automatic renewal.

I just don't understatnd how you can help someone solve their issues if you don't listen to their problem and what they have done to solve it. Call me crazy.

Good by Carbonite, thanks to Patty M ( wherever you are) hello, Mozy.
Carbonite, as well as others, should have someone to report this kind of service.

Dave Tellock
Greenwood, US
Sep 11, 2010 4:05 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Customer Service responses are all worded exactly the same.

Dave Tellock
Greenwood, US
Sep 11, 2010 3:07 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have gotten no help from Carbonite after trying to restore files. It says there are no back up files. Their Customer Support is useless. I think it is all automated. I will not renew my subscription. They stay in business by getting new customers to replace the ones that find out Carbonite is useless.

V
V
veloce
Tallahassee, US
Feb 01, 2010 1:17 pm EST

Carbonite is not suitable for pc to pc transfers. It may be ok for restores on the same pc, but if you buy a new pc, forget it. They also will not refund your payment if you cancel the subscription. Buy another hd and install Intel Matrix Storage(free on the Intel website). Then you'll have mirrored hd's. If one fails, you can still use the other hd and have ample time to replace the failed hd.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Carbonite contacts