Capital One / interest accruing on a 0% offer

United States Review updated:
Capital One
I recently took advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer on my Capital One card. My card had no balance on it prior to the transfer, so I thought it would be a good deal. After the transfer, it started accruing interest. I emailed the customer service on their website, and I got a response confirming I have 0% on balance transfers. That didn't answer my question, so I asked again why there is interest accruing when there is 0% interest. I got the exact same response, down to the letter. They didn't even read my email. Then I called them. A guy who spoke poor English did not have the answer. He tried to explain the interest was from past purchases which had long since been paid off. It still made no sense to me, so he tried to transfer me to someone else but in the process, he disconnected me. I emailed them again asking to please explain why my balance transfer is accruing interest. I got no reply for four days. Enraged, I just paid off the balance, and the very next day I got an email back saying there is no balance on my account so they don't know what I'm talking about. It's astonishing to even think about their complete disregard and reckless faulty advertising they provide their customers.

N  26th of Nov, 2010 by
i took advantage of a 0% interest offer from Capital One 2 years ago, when I accepted the offer it was for 12 months. during the 12th month I recieved a letter from Capital One stating "...we have decided to renew your promotional rate period. You'll continue to enjoy the same promotional purchase rate you are paying today until January 2011." In July 2010 I began recieving interest charges on the account so I called the company and after talking with 3 reps I finally got an interest credit, only to have to repeat the whole cycle every month for the next 3 months. Last month (October) I went through the whole thing again, including being disconnected, and did not recieve a credit. The rep I spoke with gave no regard whatsoever to the letter in my hand. There surely should be some stiff penalty for false business practices of this sort. Will I stay with Capital One? - Why not pay interest to a company that will be straight up honest about the interest charges to start with?

Capital One Financial Corporation Logo Capital One Financial Corporation