Capital One / capital one customer service is terrible

1 United States

I had to travel to the UK for work last year and Capital One froze my credit card after making a purchase there, based on the potential for fraud. I called them (a $20/min call), waited on hold for 20 mins, and told them to unfreeze it b/c I had no other source of money w/o the credit card. They said that I have to call them any time I leave the country or this would happen again. They also said that they would reactivate the card, and they did not. I was stuck in another country for 4 days w/o any source of money, so I had to use a friend’s credit card. Needless to say, when I got back, I canceled the card.

Then, a year later, a service that I use still had the Capital One card on file and charged it. I got a bill from Capital One and called them up. I wanted to know why the charge was not denied since I had canceled this card a year previously. They claimed that it was not canceled when I called 1 year ago. They of course had no explanation for this, and so I made it abundantly clear that I wanted the card canceled now. In the process of expressing how this was inexcusable, the representative hung up on me.

I would be very careful that Capital One actually cancels your credit card when you instruct them to. Apparently, there is recollection of events or anyone held responsible for this at these banks, even though they claim to record the conversations. I will never use Capital One again.