Camping World / the customer is not always right!

Camping world - albuquerque, nm may 02, 2007
Aaron aragon - general manager

At 8am on april 23, 2007, I arrived here for my appointment to install 2 window awnings on my 2006 national seabreeze lx. Knowing that these awnings would have to be pre-ordered, I called at the beginning of the month and spoke to the service department at length to order the correct sizes and colors that would match the existing patio awning. We are full time rvers and would only be in albuquerque for one week and I schedule the appt. For the first working day we were there.

On arrival, my appt. Could not be found in their computer and I told them when I had called and who I had spoken to. My husband had called again on april 9 and added the installation of an air filter but they had no record of that either. We were told that it was lucky they had a cancellation that morning and should be able to get the jobs done by early afternoon. I was assured that our awnings were there and we left the mh and went off in our car to pick up friends staying north of the city.

We received a call a half hour later from the service department stating that there were no awnings there, as we had not prepaid for them. I was extremely upset and asked why a payment was never requested when I ordered them over the phone, and was even given an appt. And was assured they would be there on time. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was busy but would call me back as soon as possible.in the meantime we turned around and drove 15 miles back to the store.

While speaking to the manager, I was informed that prepayment for special orders is their policy. That was fine with me but they apparently forgot to ask for it when I placed my order. I would have been more than willing to give them a credit card over the phone if they had asked for it. Now I asked how they could resolve this as it wasn't my job to know their policy. I asked for overnight shipping at their expense and the manager said it was impossible because no carrier could handle the 12 foot pole length of the one awning. Since we had reservations the following week further east, he said the only thing he could do is order the awnings then and have us drive to another location for installation and he would comp the installation charge of $80.00. I also stated that I wanted them to pay for the shipping charges for my inconvenience of having to go out of my way to another store location. He agreed and then went to the service department to write up the new charges.

The new bill reflected a savings of only $100.00 over the original bill of approximately $800.00. Upon closer inspection, we did not have the same figures I was quoted on the phone. My original quote for the awnings was $998.76 minus $199.00 for discounts and president's club savings. He stated those figures were wrong and how did he know where I got those numbers from and also that I probably heard wrong over the phone. I told him why do you think I wrote everything down that day including who I spoke to etc. He said the original bill would have been approximately $1000.00 and he was comping $300.00 for shipping and installation. I had been quoted $72.00 for shipping 2 awnings and $80.00 for installation less the president's club discount. He handed me a reworked bill and told me that was it, take it or leave it and you and I are finished.

To sum it all up, I expected to pay $800.00 for this job. I did everything necessary for this appt. And camping world dropped the ball and offered me $100.00 for my inconvenience, 3 unpleasant hours at their store that morning, and a lesson that the customer is not always right and as a result I will no longer be a customer.

Sincerely,
Patricia weber

Comments

• Do
      3rd of Jan, 2012

So... you got a custom-made 12 foot awning produced, shipped to a different location, installed for free ... and for $100 less than you planned to pay for it in the first place (not to mention $300 less than the dealer really wanted) and... you're complaining about it? Sheesh, lady... really??