cadbury roasted almond variant / worms and molds

1 Philippines Review updated:

I loved Cadbury, but the incident that took place a few days back prompted me to post this complaint. I bought a 150 grams of Cadbury Roast Almond from Gaisano Store in Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental, Philippines a couple of days ago. I checked the wrapper for the expiration date and I read 05/10/09. I assumed that it meant 5 October 2009 which is months away.

That same night, I felt like binging and I grabbed my favorite chocolate (the same Cadbury Roast Almond I bought earlier that day). I opened it and broke a small portion of the chocolate bar. At first bite, the chocolate tasted funny, but I didn't mind it thinking that it was just because I just brushed my teeth. When I was done with that portion of chocolate, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. It reminded me of the Van houten chocolate that I bought (from the same store) that had molds. So I decided to open up the whole package.

Much to my disgust, there were a number of worms wiggling in the chocolate bar! There were also molds! On instinct, I threw the chocolate and rushed to the toilet to wash my mouth. I decided to return the store the following day to file my complaint. You would be surprised and disgusted with what the merchandiser told me.

When I asked for the store supervisor for my complaint, the first person that they called was the merchandiser. The merchandiser told me that they had no idea that there were worms in the chocolate bar. Besides, he told me, the chocolate was already opened. I felt my blood rush to my head and I told him, "Are you plain stupid or what? How would I know that there are worms in the chocolate if I didn't opene it?" Then they asked me to ait for the supervisor. Around 15 minutes later, the supervisor approached me. He was carrying a few bars of Cadbury. He told me (and showed me) that the expiration date is stated as day/month/year which he said illustrates that the chocolates on display were not expired. So I asked him how he would explain the worms and molds in the chocolate that I purchased. Hold your breath, he told me: It's a RECURRING incident involving Cadbury Roast Almond. I asked him, "So what do you do about it?" He said, "We just report complaints to the local distributor."

Amazing! Those people in the store don't take responsibility for the food products that they put on display! How could they allow such incident to happen repeatedly and take no actions on it? And how could Cadbury allow this thing to happen in the first place?

If I were to be asked what should be done, I would definitely say: They should put a warning on Cadbury chocolates that says: This product is only for those who have the stomach for wiggling worms and thickened molds.

Comments

• Di
      25th of May, 2009

get the store manager to tell you who the distributor is and their business address. then get yourself a lawyer. if the store manager doesn't cooperate, sue him also.

• Ju
      22nd of Sep, 2009

I experience eating cadbury with mold and worms too, i had file a complaint to DOH-BFAD who handles food and drug complaints. BFAD ask me to impose demand with cadbury instead i ask them to impose penalties since this involves public health hazard. I cannot think of something to demand that would teach cadbury a lesson that this instance will never happen again I'm not looking for monetary consideration I just want justice that this will never happen to another consumer again. please help me figure out what to do about this...

Thanks