Bruce's Body Shop / Awful company

Bruce's Body Shop
On 9/13/06, I originally took my car in for minor, mostly cosmetic repairs. When I picked my car up on 10/31/06, I discovered a new gash on the right side of the car, which had been carelessly dabbed with touch up paint. When I pointed this out to Brian, instead of acknowledging and apologizing for the damage he proceeded to walk around my car and point out all of its' flaws- the message was, if I already had some door dings (my car is a 1995 model) why should I care about the gash? He implied that I was being unreasonable by asking them to repair the damage that they had done to my car. Then, he agreed to repair the damage.

On 11/3/06, I was phoned by Bruce's Body Shop and told that I could come get my car that day. I spoke with Brian, and Brian informed me that some damage had occurred to the clearcoat on the right side of the car. He said that the car had been repainted in that area before (I have no knowledge of this- had the car for 5 years with no problems) and that the paint job was of poor quality. So, he said, when they masked the car off to prep it for painting, the tape they used had pulled up chunks of clearcoat. But, he said, why don't I leave the car over the weekend and pick it up Monday- they'll fix it up for me so it's not noticeable.

On 11/6/06, I went to pick up my car. They had Brian's twin brother (seriously- they are twin brothers that both work there, but one has blue eyes and the other has hazel.) come out to do a final walk-around with me. There were 2 large spaces of clearcoat missing on the right side of the car, and it was very obvious- it appeared that they had tried to “blend" in one spot, but completely left the others in a terrible state. Both spots look terrible.

They refused to do anything about it, stating that since the alleged former paint job was not their workmanship, they were not responsible for the clearcoat that they ripped off while masking the car. (again, there is no record of the car being repainted, and there was no damage prior) Brian's brother told me to give Brian a call the following day if I wasn't satisfied.

On 11/7/06, I met with Brian at Bruce's. I explained to Brian my position, and told him that since they had ripped the clearcoat off while masking, they should fix it- but he recanted and said that they had never even taped that part of the car! Brian changed his story and said that the car had been just like that when we brought it in, and that I was lying about it. (I couldn't believe he could lie right to my face like that.) He even said that I had been lying about the gash on right side of the car, but since they were “nice guys" they repaired it for me. He told me that for $500, he'd fix it. When I refused, he yelled, “Then we're done here!" and stormed off.

More Bruce's Body Shop Complaints & Reviews

Plus Bruce's Body Shop - Unethical behavior

N  20th of Feb, 2009 by

Bruce's Body Shop - Terrible company
Bruce's Body Shop

I wasn't surprised to see someone else on here that had a problem with this place. I'd heard from some people that it was a decent place but when I took my car in for a repair I got sloppy work done, and 2 new dents and 1 long scratch. I didn't notice until after I got home, by then I figured they would deny it so I didn't bother. Good luck dealing with your car.
A  12th of Dec, 2016 by
This place is the worse ever. No customer service skills at all. Manager Rick Hutchins at the Bruce Body shop on Midlothian is very rude and unprofessional and needs anger management. If he acts this way, I can only imagine his staff. I had such a bad experience waiting on a part for 2 months and I had to keep contacting them on a status. After two week of waiting it was determined I needed to bring car back because they just realized I didn't have factory grill. I asked if I hadn't called who would have contacted me, his response "It slipped through cracks" no apology or anything. I got my check back an will be taking car to a professional place who cares about their customers.

Bruce's Body Shop Logo Bruce's Body Shop